What's new

New to wet shaving

So I’ve always used cartridge razors. But growing tired of it and want a change. Thinking of getting a RazoRock mamba 70 for my first razor. Is that a good decision? What blades would you recommend. I don’t know much about my skin. I shave every other day or so. Once in a while my neck with get itchy after shaving but I think that’s more from over using a blade. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Welcome to B&B. I have never tried the razor you mention. As for blades, that is a matter of personal preference. I would get a sampler pack and see what works best for you. No doubt, you will get some folks who will recommend Astras, Gillette Silver Blues, etc. - but I have found that works for me may not work for you.

One thing you should be careful about when going to double edge shaving is technique. Using a double edge razor is different from a cartridge. With a cartridge, the razor swivels and determines the correct angle. With a double edge razor, you control the angle. Technique becomes important.

Putting too much pressure on your razor will result in cuts, nicks, and irritation. Let the weight of the razor do the work for you. I find that using the correct grip can make a big difference. I use two fingers and my thumb to hold the razor with another finger resting on the tip of the handle. This results in holding the razor very lightly with no pressure on the razor. You want to hold the razor as lightly as you can so that it stays on your face and without it falling from your hand. The wiki deals with holding a razor and may help you. You may have to click on the photos to show the pics. Look here for blade angle.

Merkur 34C or Edwin Jagger DE89 are both time tested great razors to get started. You cannot go wrong with either or.. These are quality razors for a low cost start, and they will last you your entire life. Blades are entire other subject, I agree with the starter sample packs. Check out Razor Emporium they have sensitive skin sample packs and mild aggression sample packs. Also, same web site Matt has hundreds of videos for how to get started with DE safety razors. Also, you tube check out GeoFatBoy, he has great technique and beginner tutorials.. Good Luck!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum and thanks for checking in with us. My suggestions for a start out DE razor would be a Gillette Tech or a Merkur 34C/G. I would start out with a milder razor and work up from there when you get your technique worked out. They are cheap razors to start out with and won’t break the bank.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Welcome! The best advice I can share is “Don’t be scared” or rather “feel the fear and do it anyways.”

Don’t be scared to use an inexpensive razor.
Don‘t be scared to use an expensive razor.
Don’t be scared to use search engines to find average prices.
Don’t be scared to make mistakes.
Don’t be scared to ask for help.
Don’t be scared to figure things out on your own.
Don’t be scared to use gear other folks don’t like
Don’t be scared to use gear that has the popularity of boy bands.

Learning/doing is the most frustrating hurdle and sorting out which videos are more useful or harmful to your circumstances is a battle in and of itself.

You’ve got this and you’re here, so any help you need learning a technique or enabling a purchase you don’t need-need is a click away.

Welcome aboard!

I would go with the consensus:
1. Razor: EJ89 series or Merkur 34C
2. Blade: sampler pak or two
3. Read through the Wiki!

Mostly, ENJOY the journey!! :a29:

Welcome to B&B. Another vote for the Merkur 34C, a great razor to start shaving with a DE. It is used by novices and seasoned DE shavers alike.

Lord L6 is another good one, just get a blade sampler and pick the best brand. The blade makes it behave like a whole new razor.

This is my first safety razor and currently only one, I want to try others buts it's hard to justify replacing a working combo when you know technique will get you the rest of the way.

Like others have mentioned, I find the Edwin Jagger 89DE the most adaptable to multiple blade types and is my go to razor after I muck something up while trying out a new combiniation. The Merkur 34C is likely similar in this regard, but I haven't used it personally...though I do own a 37C and Mergress and use both extensively and can say that the quality of their products its top notch.
As for blades, it really is a YMMV and what works for one, may not be the best choice for you. A decent blade sampler pack would be your best option to start dialing in your preference. In my experience though, the Astra Superior Platinum has provided me with some exceptional results with most of the razors I have used.

I received my Mamba 70 a few days ago. It is a very nice razor, yet I can tell it will have a learning curve to get the angle just right. Maybe not the "best" first razor. I find my Gillette Tech much more forgiving.

Top Bottom