What's new

New to wet shaving..

Hi, I bought this cheapo Burma Shave brush from Walmart, at the time not knowing about all this stuff about the bristles, etc. After looking around a bit, I found a few inexpensive brushes:

http://tweezerman.com/index.cfm?page=productdetail&prod=116

http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/a...5/SC-FROOGLE/bb/Badger_Hair_Shaving_Brush.htm

Price is an object so I'd like to get the best I can for the least amount. As far as my beard goes, it grows in thick and fast and diff directions on my neck.

Thanks!

dax,

Welcome to B&B. In the past, I have recommended the purchase of the Tweezerman to new shavers. It is what I first started with and what my father continues to use today. That being said, however, I think you can get a significantly better brush for a little bit more cash. Several of the gents here rave on and on about the C&E best badger brush for it's quality and economical price. Additionally, if you decide you don't like wet shaving, you should be able to get some cash back out of this brush.

Can't speak for the Omega, but I have and use the Tweezerman, and it sheds like mad. Decent for the price, I suppose, but I cannot advocate paying for Tweezerman.

dax702 said:
Hi, I bought this cheapo Burma Shave brush from Walmart, at the time not knowing about all this stuff about the bristles, etc. After looking around a bit, I found a few inexpensive brushes:

http://tweezerman.com/index.cfm?page=productdetail&prod=116

http://www.alwaysbrilliant.com/aa/a...5/SC-FROOGLE/bb/Badger_Hair_Shaving_Brush.htm

Price is an object so I'd like to get the best I can for the least amount. As far as my beard goes, it grows in thick and fast and diff directions on my neck.

Thanks!
I picked up an omega boar brush at target for around $10 and it isn't bad at all. I however would echo Kyles sentiments and suggest you spend $35 on an Edwin Jagger (branded for C&E) as you'll get a lot more use/enjoyment out of it, and you are taking a big step up, quality wise.

Thanks for the quick input!
The whole thing that turned me on to this wet shaving idea was this article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/

He suggests the Vulfix; their least expensive Badger brush is $35.00 which is more than I'd like to spend.. What is C&E ?

I've been using a panasonic electric shaver for many years now and the routine has been to shave, then wait about 3 days (yes 3 days) for the beard to grow in and become soft again so I can shave it without looking like someone colored my neck with a red marker.

I have this $4 burma shave brush from Walmart which I'm using with a Williams mub shaving soap (also from walmart) and a Mach 3 razor for the moment. I'm optimistic because even after switching from electric, the first shave using the williams mug soap, the brush and the mach 3 razor didn't produce much irritation. I just shaving again (day after) and there is more irritation. Going to keep doing it until I can get a decent double edge razor.. and then see what happens to me haha..

The C&E is also $35.

I can certainly appreciate a guy that wants to be frugal or at least quality minded with his money. Whether an item is $10 or $110, if it isn't worth what was paid, then it irritates me. Do be careful, however, that you don't get so focused on low price that you compromise the quality and you don't give yourself a realistic view of what wet shaving has to offer.

I'll see what I can do; I think I'll be alright as long as whatever I get is Badger hair instead of fake, or Boar.. Poor little badgers :frown:

dax,

Spend your money once, not twice. You've already learned that you enjoy using a brush. I promise you that the Proraso/Omega brush (boar) at Target is worth twice the price of the Burma Shave brush. Even if you have to delay your purchase for a bit, spending the money to get the Crabtree & Evelyn is 10 times the brush the other two are. And at $35 bucks, it's a steal! I have other brushes that are similar that were almost twice as much.

Randy

dax702 said:
"Proraso/Omega brush (boar) at Target"

Is that one available at Target.com ?

Most Target stores are now carrying Proraso products, including the boar brush. I didn't see it at the .com, but I have seen it at my local Target.

Randy

dax702 said:
"Proraso/Omega brush (boar) at Target"

Is that one available at Target.com ?

I don't know if it is available at Target.com, but it definitely is in the stores. Just don't look for it with the shaving supplies. It is actually by the cosmetics in the spa section. If you ask for Proraso the employees probably will not know what you are talking about. You will be better off just finding the spa/cosmetics and looking around for yourself.

I have this brush, I upgraded to it from a cheap Walgreen's brush and the difference is huge. The only problem is that now I want to try the Crabtree & Evelyn bruch that everyone is raving about.

:biggrin:
Jim Thompson said:
I don't know if it is available at Target.com, but it definitely is in the stores. Just don't look for it with the shaving supplies. It is actually by the cosmetics in the spa section. If you ask for Proraso the employees probably will not know what you are talking about. You will be better off just finding the spa/cosmetics and looking around for yourself.

I have this brush, I upgraded to it from a cheap Walgreen's brush and the difference is huge. The only problem is that now I want to try the Crabtree & Evelyn bruch that everyone is raving about.

I just bought the C&E $35 Badger Brush a couple weeks ago and haven't used it but twice. It's no doubt the nicest brush you can buy at that price. I do recommend giving it a couple of runs through the shampoo and conditioner treatment to give it an even softer feel. I really like the somewhat small size of this brush. I still might buy the Proraso brush at Target. I know I don't need it....but what's that got to do with it? :confused:

What's brush got to do , got to do with it?

who needs one brush when your bank account can be broken?

(with apologies to Tina)

Marty

AACJ, the brushes on that site you listed, who makes them? They're just labeled SB-8, 9, 10 and 12..... ?

dax702 said:
AACJ, the brushes on that site you listed, who makes them? They're just labeled SB-8, 9, 10 and 12..... ?

I really don't know. One of the converts I got at work here has one. He bought some shave soap, a mug and a brush (I don't know which one) from them and is very happy with them.

I gave him a few DE razors I had and he became a new convert, although he won't join any of the forums.

AACJ said:
I really don't know. One of the converts I got at work here has one. He bought some shave soap, a mug and a brush (I don't know which one) from them and is very happy with them.

I gave him a few DE razors I had and he became a new convert, although he won't join any of the forums.
AH, a closet wet shaver?

guenron said:
AH, a closet wet shaver?

I'm assuming he doesn't want to get in touch with his feminine side and have a plethora of shaving creams/soaps, razors, shave brushes and scents to choose from every morning.

Top Bottom