What's new

New to vaping question

I decided to ditch the Marlboros today and bought a vape set up. I charged the unit loaded it up and took my first few puffs with terrible results. My chest felt like it did the day I started smoking. Is there a trick to this maybe I am doing it all wrong? Has anyone else had this issue with the chest feeling like a sledge hammer attack :confused1

What nicotine strength did you get to start out? Any idea? There is some adjustment on the inhale of vapor vs smoke, though, so yea, when starting out, there can tend to be the want to choke/cough reaction. Small hits to start out with is how I overcame that.

There are a lot of variables when vaping. What's the pg/vg blend on the juice? What is the nicotine level? What type of battery are you using? What ohm atomizer? These all could change how it feels to you. I still have times that something bothers me. I've been vaping for the last few years. It does take some time to adjust your body though not long.

+1 on the nicotine level

It could be some other things, but I don't want to over-complicate it and confuse you. It'd be best to eliminate possibilities one by one.

Here is the bottle of fluid I received from a friend until I can buy my own. Are there less mild fluids?
$IMG_1600.jpg
This is the new unit I bought today. I do not know how to verify the OHMS on this unit.
$IMG_1601.jpg
And this is a unit I received a while back but never used. I am going to charge this tonight and see if the results are the same. Again for this one I do not see the OHMS listed.
$IMG_1606.jpg

Attachments

• $IMG_1601.jpg
    $IMG_1601.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 93
It's definitely the nicotine level. 24 mg is usually reserved for the 2+ pack a day smokers.

You're going to want 18 mg or 12 mg... depending on how much you smoked and if you plan on chain vaping.

I'll offer a little advice being amateur as well. Keep it simple first. Find a local vape shop on yelp that has the random $5 or $10 items that are only a dollar cheaper online, and remember this can be a real YMMV thing. The local shop can be great to try a fluid before you buy, get advice, etc. I like a clean looking compact setup, you might want battery life/fluid capacity or might dive headfirst into mods.

Luckily you have an Ego-c which should be a variable voltage battery. After no research I first bought a cheap unit that was outdated when it came out (esmart with old style threads) and nearly walked away. Then I bought a cheap ego battery, did some research and went to town. The tank/clearomizer was a cheap CE4 that came with mine, it was passable.

I then bought 2 Kanger Evod tanks/clearomizers for $7 each at my local shop (one was 2.2 ohm, the other 1.8 ohm). Great investment! Rebuildable for $1 (screw out old coil/wick, screw in new one, literally 5 seconds of work).

Some fluids can get old and taste bad quick, some won't work with some setups (clog it or burn too fast). I agree though that 24mg is excessive. I would do 18 if full flavor, 12 if lights.

I know nothing about your other setup though, do more research and revisit it? For someone new an Ego is a nice foundation. Try different clearomizers too, you might be happy with the performance of a cheap CE4 you can toss for $1.50 after a week or two. I really like the EVOD and heard good things about the T3S and CE5. With the higher end ones buy name brand like Kanger or they might fail prematurely, leak, etc. Some people have different rotations of fluids and parts like me with my razors.

Actually, find a local vape shop, try a few fluids, spend $7 on a EVOD tank and go try it out! Come back with the results.

You are pretty much using the highest nicotine level that they make for e-juice. That is most likely your number 1 issue. Also, it does feel a bit different than smoking a cigarette. I had to adjust the way I took a "drag" off my e-cig compared to an analog cigarette. But all in all, you have a very good starter set-up, I would just reduce the nicotine level. 24 is very high.

I can't tell what kind of tank that is, but, with that juice being 70% VG, you might be having wicking issues. Did you let the tank stand upright for a while after filling it? If not, you could be getting dry hits, which always make me cough.

Also, as has been said, try dropping down to a lower nicotine content. If you go to a local shop for lower nicotine juice, ask if you can get it in a 50/50 PG/VG blend. That should wick better.

It's definitely the nicotine level. 24 mg is usually reserved for the 2+ pack a day smokers.

You're going to want 18 mg or 12 mg... depending on how much you smoked and if you plan on chain vaping.

Huh. Didn't know that. I use 36 mg cartridges, and I go through 2-3 per day (5-7.5 ml's juice equivalent) with no noticeable effects. I might have a problem...:scared:

Top Bottom