What's new

New To This

Hello Everyone,

I am Relatively new to wet shaving. I started down the rabbit hole by simply wanting higher quality shaving cream that is lathered with a brush, which led to wanting to try a better razor than the multi blade cartridges I have used for years.

I have now used a DE razor for a while and feel I have been getting a pretty good shave. I recently ordered my first straight razor and it came today. Nervously looking forward to the first shave this afternoon, hoping I don’t cut myself too bad, most nervous about trying to get my useless left hand to function properly for that side of my face.

Looking forward to learning to get the best shaves I can and trying new products over time to find my favorites. Thank you to everyone who posts so much useful information here... at least after reading I have some idea of how I should be doing it.

Brent

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Are you afraid of straights?

1570295544229.gif

Welcome to B & B.
There are plenty of experienced open-razor users here willing to help with everything related to that arcane craft.
There's even a forum dedicated to it.
I think you'll find that after the first shave or two, you quickly overcome the intimidation of the thing.
Some parts of the face are quickly and easily mastered whilst others remain challenging, eg. throat, Adam's-apple.
My best general advice is to start very slowly and carefully and never become complacent or allow your attention to drift.
No doubt others will have good advice on technique and such, but the following warning cannot come too early:
If the razor slips out of your hand, let it fall!
Never try to catch it!
The razor will probably suffer fatal damage, but it's better than the alternative...or at least so says nine-finger Charlie.
On a related note...never shave naked!

Last edited:
Thank you for the warm welcome. Happy to say I came out of the first shave without any major issues... worst shave I have ever done after 2 passes with the SE, but acceptable after a 3rd with my DE lol

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Don't forget to check in with the guys in the Straight Razor Forum. They would love to hear from you.

Top Bottom