What's new

New to this, would like advice on starter gear!

StraightRazorDesigns.com has the Feather Popular and Merkur DE razors (and some others), but not the EJ 89. They also have blades and blade sampler kits.

I have a Weishi (very mild shave), a Gillette Tech, a Gillette Aristocrat, and an Edwin Jagger DE89 "barley". The EJ is the one I use, almost all the time. It's really nice.

If money is tight, start with flea markets and antique shops. There are lots of old Gillette razors for reasonable prices, and they all shave. If you can find an adjustable one, it'll have a setting that's right for you.

You'll have to be careful on the first few shaves. Cartridge razors allow (and encourage) using pressure on the handle. But a sharp DE blade in most DE razors will scrape off a layer of skin if you press down when taking a stroke.

So you must become very light-fingered -- just the weight of the razor head should be enough to take your beard off.

Charles

PS -- a Weishi with Feather DE blades is an inexpensive way to start out. The mildness of the razor's design makes the Feather blades (which are wicked sharp) less likely to give you razor burn. A Feather blade in an EJ 89 must be handled carefully, but it'll give you a superb shave.

Honestly, I would look into getting one of these:
http://www.italianbarber.com/wet-shaving-starter-kit-with-ej89-and-proraso-balm
http://www.italianbarber.com/wet-shaving-starter-kit-with-ej89-and-proraso-balm

If you're really serious about getting into it. It has everything you need. I wish I knew about these when I was starting..would have saved me $60.

Or if you're not sure you want to stick with it and don't want to throw out that kind of cheddar..check one of these kits for under $25:
http://www.italianbarber.com/25-kits-under-25?page=2
The razor isn't as fancy..but it'll let you find out if you want to keep with it or not..and save you a nice chunk of $$ if you discover you don't.
Agreed that these are great kits, especially the one with Proraso; but I believe they're on hiatus for about a month, so I'm not sure if that will work for the OP...
EDIT: just saw that you noticed this too BrandonB... def check out the B/S/T and Shopping and Deals sections if you're looking for something sooner, can either buy a pre-loved razor from the forum for cheap and some software at a local store if there is selection available, or there's some good deals posted on a few internet sites (discounts and free shipping at places like soap.com).

Last edited:
StraightRazorDesigns.com has the Feather Popular and Merkur DE razors (and some others), but not the EJ 89. They also have blades and blade sampler kits.

I have a Weishi (very mild shave), a Gillette Tech, a Gillette Aristocrat, and an Edwin Jagger DE89 "barley". The EJ is the one I use, almost all the time. It's really nice.

If money is tight, start with flea markets and antique shops. There are lots of old Gillette razors for reasonable prices, and they all shave. If you can find an adjustable one, it'll have a setting that's right for you.

You'll have to be careful on the first few shaves. Cartridge razors allow (and encourage) using pressure on the handle. But a sharp DE blade in most DE razors will scrape off a layer of skin if you press down when taking a stroke.

So you must become very light-fingered -- just the weight of the razor head should be enough to take your beard off.

Charles

PS -- a Weishi with Feather DE blades is an inexpensive way to start out. The mildness of the razor's design makes the Feather blades (which are wicked sharp) less likely to give you razor burn. A Feather blade in an EJ 89 must be handled carefully, but it'll give you a superb shave.

That's another question I had actually. Just how dangerous is it using a safety razor, or a double edged?

I think you are on the right track. I don't know anything about the Escali shaving brush but it looks similar to a Tweezerman brush which is the brush I prefer even over the more expensive ones I've tried. I don't think you'll have any regrets going with the 34C.

That's another question I had actually. Just how dangerous is it using a safety razor, or a double edged?

Let me put it this way, my wife who happens to be much younger than me and had never used a safety razor tried my 34c on her legs and she had no nicks cuts or irritation and commented that it was easy to use and her legs never felt smoother so I'd say it's safe.

If you want to get things quickly, try BullGoose Shaving. My orders from there have arrived mind-bogglingly quickly. The prices and service are excellent, too.

Thoughts? Changes? Suggestions? Yay, Nay? :biggrin1:

proxy.php

Edit:
This is from BullGoose.

Last edited:
I have a razor coming in the mail from a very generous forum member, but I am looking to purchase my first one. I am having a toss up with either that Edwin Jagger or a Merkur 34C. If you wind up getting the Jagger, please let me know how it shaves! By the way, in case you couldn't tell, I am a total noobie at this too, so you're not alone.

Wow! I didn't expect this many responses. Thanks so much for everyones advice! Are there any alternates to italian barber? On their website it says they won't be shipping any orders until August 10th. I simply can't wait that long, I'm trying to get something together in the next couple of days so I can shave. If I can, I'm trying to hold off on shaving until I can get a kit together. I hate these ingrowns I'm getting and I especially hate electric shavers.

Oh yeah I forgot about his vacation..lol.

When I started out I went here:
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/
Not much in the way of kits..though he does have a omega starter kit that includes a boar and a tub of Omega soap for like $15.

Another option would be to order a razor and some blades..then go to Target and get the Van Der Hagen starter kit they have there.
It's a step up from the one that Walmart carries..but is also twice the price($20).
It has a badger brush instead of a boar, a better soap, and a apothecary-style mug vs a small cup.
Then all you would need is a DE razor and you'd be good to go, bro.
If I knew these existed when I started out I might have gone this route and saved me a few $$ to begin with.

This is what is in the Target kit:
proxy.php

Last edited:
Thoughts? Changes? Suggestions? Yay, Nay? :biggrin1:

proxy.php

Edit:
This is from BullGoose.

I would get the MVP blade sampler, instead. I think the blades in it are more universally appreciated.

I would skip the pre-shave stuff. Learn how to do Kyle's prep, instead. That will save you $12...

...which I think you should put toward an Edwin Jagger DE89L or DE89 Barley. The textured handles can help you hold the razor when your hands are wet and/or soapy.

These suggestions should keep the price about the same. I think they'd make the experience more enjoyable, though.

I would get the MVP blade sampler, instead. I think the blades in it are more universally appreciated.

I would skip the pre-shave stuff. Learn how to do Kyle's prep, instead. That will save you $12...

...which I think you should put toward an Edwin Jagger DE89L or DE89 Barley. The textured handles can help you hold the razor when your hands are wet and/or soapy.

These suggestions should keep the price about the same. I think they'd make the experience more enjoyable, though.

Too late =/. Already ordered it. I considered getting the DE89L but I didn't like the look of it and I didn't notice he had the Barley, otherwise I would have gotten that. After looking at the MVP pack, I would agree but, oh well. This will still give me quite a few blades to try out.

As for the preshave, I wasn't sure if it was necessary or not, so I just put it in there anyway to be safe.

Good for you for trying it.

I'd recommend an Edwin Jagger razor over a Merkur. I think the EJ quality is much higher.

the Jagger DE89 is an outstanding razor for a beginner. Smooth, close, and safe enough so you won't cut yourself up to the point where you give it all up. Plus, it is just a really finely made shaving instrument, and looks great with the Barley Chrome handle.

Last edited:
Too late =/. Already ordered it. I considered getting the DE89L but I didn't like the look of it and I didn't notice he had the Barley, otherwise I would have gotten that. After looking at the MVP pack, I would agree but, oh well. This will still give me quite a few blades to try out.

As for the preshave, I wasn't sure if it was necessary or not, so I just put it in there anyway to be safe.

Don't worry. You've got an EXCELLENT setup! Good job.

Welcome to B&B! That is some great gear you are working with. I'm a HUGE fan of the Escali brush; an absolute lather machine at a super low price!! Sure, it's a bit scratchy for a while; but I like that in a brush. What about blades, bro? Buy a pack of Gillette 7 O'Clocks in the various colors: black, blue, yellow, and green. I'm pretty sure you'll find something within that mix that works for you. You'll have to experiment with blades, though...find out what works and doesn't work on your face. Just take your time and focus on technique for now. Short strokes with zero pressure. Take a look at Mantic's and Geofatboy's wet shaving vids on YouTube. Good luck

I am fairly new to the world of DE shaving. I say do you research and if you have the money to get some "better" things do. I did start with a Tech but was looking at an EJ. I ended up buying a tech and 2 superspeeds and still ened up buying the EJ DE89L later. Dont think I would of spent the money of the tech and superspeeds if I had started with the EJ DE89L. Now for the slim and fatboy I just bought. Think that is called the RADs. Welcome.

Wish I had read the whole thread. Great choices!

Last edited:
I started with an HD, purchased a Tech and Superspeed (much milder), and then an 89L. The 89L is somewhere between the Merkur and the Gillettes. Now I am using the 34C exclusively. I want the more aggressive razor. Proraso is all about menthol. When I first found this place, I bought a bunch of Proraso and Bigelow cream. I hardly use it now. I enjoy soaps more - MWF, Tabac, GFT soaps, Harris Arlington, La Toja, Cade. Who knows what will end up being your favorite stuff. Enjoy experimenting. You're off to a great start! Share your experiences here!

I actually got 3 vintage Gillettes for $3, some Williams, VDH boar brush, and Wilkinson Sword blades to start. I then moved up from there thanks to some generous PIFs and research. It was nice with the small initial investment. My Escali is still my only badger brush until my restores arrive, and I love it.

Top Bottom