What's new

New to this whole brush thing..

IMG_5707.JPG
Here's my homage to a classic design. It's one of my first attempts at pouring and turning a handle.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Excellent. I did a double take on the post and literally thought. Wait he made that.....congrats.

Thanks guys, yep I've got some best badger knots on the way, 3 of them.. ant this is all done without a lathe!

I did these two as a first first attempt.. much happier with the latest, it's a homage to a ever ready(obviously) but we didn't get them here in Australia, so I decided to make one!

Attachments

• IMG_5704.JPG
    IMG_5704.JPG
    654.1 KB · Views: 40
Very nice looking handle, you did a fantastic job making it. Had you not said anything about making it yourself, I would have sworn that I was looking a restored vintage brush handle.
Thanks man, very kind! I'm Just messing around with some left over resins from work. I'm hopeing to figure out some better patterns and colors

That turned out great, especially for not using a lathe. If you don't mind sharing, did you use a drill press, hand shaping, or maybe some form of black magic?

That turned out great, especially for not using a lathe. If you don't mind sharing, did you use a drill press, hand shaping, or maybe some form of black magic?
Yes I'm using a drill, however only a makita power drill clamped tight in the bench vice. Then a piece of timber also clamped in place makes for a suitable tool rest.
I drill and tap a hole in the resin blank where the knot will be set for a 1.5" long 6mm diameter stainless threaded rod to clamp in the drill chuck.
I ran a couple of old files over the bench grinder to make some tools and hey presto!
So far, these first few have cost me exactly nothing.. I didn't want to spend good money on a lathe just yet, so this was the best solution for the tools I have. My workshop is also very limited for space, exactly half of a single car garage.
I think now I will have a look for a smaller lathe as I have really enjoyed making these. I have two more blanks left to use up, expect to see them by the end of the week

Top Bottom