What's new

new to this game

I have always loved the ceremony of going to a barber and having a total SE shave experience and regularly lament the fact that
a) it seems to cost so much in the UK and
b) I don't know of anywhere near me where I can get one done.
So I recently purchased a vintage Bismarck SE from a knife forum I am a member of for £15 as I've been considering SE shaving for a while now thinking, "hey at that price, why not?". No markings on the blade itself but "Bismarck" and "Solingen" on the shank, white/yellowish plastic type scales with "Bismarck Registered" inset, with a black spacer (at least I think it's "registered" rather than "Solingen"; it's 0415 in the morning and I'm on my last night shift of the week!) and held together with 2 pins. It was already pretty sharp when I got it with some pitting/character on the blade but seeing as I have a variety of strop paddles and compound for sharpening my knives I gave it a touch up just for the calming effect of the back and forth whilst I watched some Youtube "how to" and various product vids for creams, bowls and brushes. I used my normal shave gel for the first 2 shaves, because I couldn't wait, which was ok but not ideal so have bought TOBS sandalwood on rec from a friend which does make quite a difference and smells great; I had to lather by hand because my brush and bowl haven't arrived yet and like I said, I couldn't wait! I really enjoy using the razor having had nothing more than 2 or 3 minor nicks so far and already am looking at dropping a wad to buy a modern Bismarck with some custom scales! I don't quite get as close a shave as I do with my cartridge razor and it's not as smooth but am definitely willing to persevere with both my shaving and stropping/honing technique which will only improve (think positive!). Any comments or advice will be very welcome.

A brush will help a lot, ad lathering is a lot of guys favorite part of wet shaving.

Light touch, low(very acute) angle and good prep.

Welcome to B&B.
Check in the straight razor section for further advice. They will help on improving technique. Also have a look in the Shave Wiki; link top left of page.
Finding a barber who will give you a decent straight razor shave is like looking for a needle in a haystack. Forget that idea and work on your technique.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Welcome! I’m always interested in how other guys approach their journey into SR shaving. Keep posting with your insights, much appreciated. Enjoy the ride!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Welcome to the gentlemanly art of SR shaving. You still have a lot to learn but the members here, particularly in the Straight Razor section, will be only too willing to guide you.

Like you, I started my SR journey directly from carts late last year. After about 30 SR shaves you will have mastered the basics. At about 100 SR shaves you will be "there". The main thing is to concentrate on your shaving, think about what you are doing, what went well and what didn't, and then work on improving what didn't.

As a knife sharpener, your razor is probably sharp but not at the level most here would consider "shave-ready". I set me bevel on 1k stone and then work my way up to 200k grit diamond paste on balsa to get to my shave-ready standard. The gentlemen in the SR section will help you with that.

Top Bottom