What's new

New to the Nib

Hi all,

I have recently started with my first fountain pen. It is a Lamy that was given to me by a friend. Not sure which model. Needless to say I am hooked! I never knew writing could be so smooth. There are a few times it feels scratchy, but I am sure it is the way I am holding the pen.

I will probably eventually upgrade, but for now I am enjoying my Lamy. I think in the future a pelikan maybe? Possibly a custom? I know Rudy has been doing designs for a long time now. This looks like another acquisition disorder I will have to support.

Cheers!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Welcome! Glad you are enjoying your Lamy. Post a picture, and I'm sure someone here could identify the model for you.

Fountain pens are definitely a rabbit hole you can go as far down as you want to (or your wallet can afford), especially when you factor in all the varieties of styles, filling mechanisms, nib sizes, nibs grinds, etc. Then you get into inks, paper, and accessories! It truly is limitless. Of course, the prudent advice is to go slow because your tastes and interests will evolve as you get more exposure to the hobby. But yeah, you do you.

I have two Pelikan M200s, both of which I thoroughly enjoy.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. If you are new to fountain pens and transitioning from ball points and roller balls your scratching is most likely do to wrist writing where you are rotating the tip so that the tines are not parallel to the paper. Pay attention and try to get used to using your whole arm. It will feel weird at first but I think you'll find it will make things even more enjoyable.

proxy.php

Welcome, I agree with some of the suggestions above for scratchy nibs. One thing to pay attention to is if there is a specific thing that makes it feel scratchy. If you follow the advice and ensure that you are using minimal pressure and not twisting the nib and are still getting scratchiness there are a few things it could be and I am sure you can find people here who are willing to help.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I will probably eventually upgrade, but for now I am enjoying my Lamy.

No rush ... enjoy your current pen!

Certain Lamy pens are made for easy nib-swapping, so you can try all the different nib sizes that intrigue you without having to buy new pens. In particular, the Safari model is designed this way.

It's nice to know early on what nib sizes you actually prefer, so that when you buy an expensive pen you get it with a nib size you are going to like long-term.

This looks like another acquisition disorder I will have to support.

Heh ... heh ... heh ...

You should apologise to your wallet now.

Hmm.... got on the website for razors but I inherited a truck that was my great grandfathers and it has dozens of fountain pens in it but I always assumed the would not be any good because of there age. He was killed in 1936 and the truck was sealed shortly after until I was given it in 1984. I may have to pull some out and see about rehabbing them. I keep a cheap Pilot fountain in my desk for special signings, maybe I can upgrade to a family heirloom.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Hmm.... got on the website for razors but I inherited a truck that was my great grandfathers and it has dozens of fountain pens in it but I always assumed the would not be any good because of there age. He was killed in 1936 and the truck was sealed shortly after until I was given it in 1984. I may have to pull some out and see about rehabbing them. I keep a cheap Pilot fountain in my desk for special signings, maybe I can upgrade to a family heirloom.
Pictures will lead to recommendations on how to proceed but very likely a few gems from that era.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
A truck filled with dozens of fountain pens sealed up inside since 1936. Sounds like a dreamy fantasy.

Yes, we're gonna need to see some fountain pen and truck photos @ChiefHA :thumbup1:

I'd love to see some pictures of this!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Wow, those pens look like they’re in great shape! They probably just need a good cleaning and a new sac and they’ll be right back in action. I recommend reading up on how clean them probably; you could really mess up the celluloid if you use anything harsh like acetone.

On the downside, they don’t look particularly collectible. Don’t know if you care about that or not. I’m familiar with Wearever. It was a low-end brand that competed with Esterbrook. I’ve not heard of “Accurate”, but I assume it’s similar. The high end pens in that day were Parker, Waterman, Shaffer, and Wahl-Eversharp (in American anyway). But I’m willing to be proven wrong. Sorry, hate to rain on the parade.

On the upside, that celluloid is beautiful. Celluloid pens these days are big $$$$$ because they literally don’t make it anymore. Vintage pens have loads of charm and cool factor. Enjoy!

Top Bottom