What's new

New to the forum

Hey guys new to the forum here while the ask a couple questions I'm a little new to the wet shaving community. Got into it with safety razors and I'm about the move over to either a shavette or a straight razor for once to twice a week line touch up of my beard. Was just curious because I have bought quite a bit getting into this because I want options, how many razors are too many and how many shave soaps is too many to own at once? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to B&B.

When you first start out I would stick to one piece of hardware (razor, brush) and software (soap or cream) at a time. It is important to get the basics down and master your technique. If you start changing too many things generally you are asking for trouble. Once you have the basics down you can go from there.

I have been traditional shaving for a very long time - since 1956. When I started out I used one razor my father gave me. After a year I bought my first new razor. I used one brush and one soap and cream. When I joined B&B I branched out and tried single edge razors, injectors, and many different kinds of double edge razors. In fact, at one time I had more than 50 razors. I began to realize that I am not a collector but a user. I decided to sell or give away all of my single edge and injector razors and now have 15 razors in my rotation and one travel razor. Brushes and shaving soaps are another matter. I currently have 35 brushes and too many soaps and creams to count!

Welcome to B&B!

You will get answers that will vary from 1 razor and 1 soap to more than 50 of each. You will find that there are many rabbit holes to fall down in this community and the only person who can answer that question will be you. BTW if you ever ask should I buy "fill in the blank" the enablers here will always tell you YES!

This most important thing is for you to get a great shave and enjoy the process.

Right now I have 3 DE razors(took a minute to get the right feel) 2 brushes and 4 soaps. Looking into a straight for once or twice weekly because trying to get the edge straight the way my beard is(pretty much a balbo without the 'stache) is difficult. Don't see myself past one more DE or more than 2 straights. Soaps and creams on the other hand just depends on how I feel when I actually get them. Descriptions sadly only go so far. Thanks for replying.
Welcome to B&B.

When you first start out I would stick to one piece of hardware (razor, brush) and software (soap or cream) at a time. It is important to get the basics down and master your technique. If you start changing too many things generally you are asking for trouble. Once you have the basics down you can go from there.

I have been traditional shaving for a very long time - since 1956. When I started out I used one razor my father gave me. After a year I bought my first new razor. I used one brush and one soap and cream. When I joined B&B I branched out and tried single edge razors, injectors, and many different kinds of double edge razors. In fact, at one time I had more than 50 razors. I began to realize that I am not a collector but a user. I decided to sell or give away all of my single edge and injector razors and now have 15 razors in my rotation and one travel razor. Brushes and shaving soaps are another matter. I currently have 35 brushes and too many soaps and creams to count!

Welcome to B&B!

You will get answers that will vary from 1 razor and 1 soap to more than 50 of each. You will find that there are many rabbit holes to fall down in this community and the only person who can answer that question will be you. BTW if you ever ask should I buy "fill in the blank" the enablers here will always tell you YES!

This most important thing is for you to get a great shave and enjoy the process.

Scary thing for me is with it bringing a better experience to my mornings ill want to try everything out there lol.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
You can never have too many unless it starts to adversely affect others who matter to you.

For beard line timming once every week or so, I would recommend a shave-ready Spanish point SR with little or no smile. Used with care, this should produce excellent results.

Welcome to B&B.
Sticking to one razor till you have good technique is good advice. A soap or cream bowl lasts about 4 months so you have to decide on what sort of rotation you want.

Welcome aboard!

You only need one razor, one brush and one soap! That is what most guys had in the old days.

Many here enjoy collecting and other ‘hobby’ aspects, which is perfectly fine!

So, the answer is, ‘Whatever makes you happy!’ :clap: :clap:

I think its definitely going to end up hobby as well as necessity for me. Glad to be a part of the forum.
20200416_164927.jpg

Top Bottom