What's new

New to the forum with a question about a couple of razors

There is nothing wrong with figuring out how any razor works. You may have to try a few different blades as all blades don't work well in all razors.

My best guess is it will require a different shaving angle. It can be a little frustrating trying to figure out if you need more angle or less, but you'll get it if you want to stick with it long enough to get there.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Welcome to B&B!

Ooooh, slants. I love slants. :)

Interesting that the "Sledgehammer" (39C) seems smoother than the Parker SemiSlant for you. Interesting because I tend to the view that the SemiSlant is one of the multitude of Merkur clone/homage razors -- BUT I've also had that happen when I owned a Parker. Which may explain why somebody else owns it now. I still own both an original 37 (same head as yours) as well as a RazoRock German 37. I find the RazoRock to be a more faithful homage to the 37 than the Parker. That's not a knock on Parker, but it acknowledges that in slants at least they're not playing in the same part of the market.

It doesn't "come down to" technique but technique is an important part of the process. That's why when I get out a razor I plan to use it for two weeks before changing to another one (even if I'm well familiar with the razor). I find it takes a couple of shaves for my fingers to remember, "Oh, yeah...with this razor I have to do things this way..."

O.H.

Top Bottom