What's new

New to the forum/intersting question

I am new to shaving with a safety razor. (I'll never go back to cartriges) I have always shaved with cold water because someone explained the physics of temperature and steel to mewhen I was very young. It makes sense that cold water will keep the molecules tightly packed or bunched together therefore resulting in a sharper edge. Seems that heat would cause the steel to expand and would compromise the integrity of the edge. What do you guys think? Am I wayyyy overthinking things?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum @WallyC33, great thought. I am sure others that know more about the properties of steel will chime in.

Welcome to B&B.
The edges on my preferred blades seem to cut very satisfactorily so I am not convinced ~ 50 degrees celsius makes a difference.

Welcome to B&B. I'd say what are relatively minor temperature differences in the scheme of things would make no perceptible difference to the sharpness of a blade. Certainly I've shaved with both cold and very hot water with identical or at least very similar DE and SE blades and did not notice any difference in their sharpness.
I prefer shaving with hot or warm water, and believe this gives me a better result, with more comfort, but others prefer cold water. In the end, I believe it's all down to personal preference, with little or no actual science behind it.

Welcome aboard!

I doubt that blade performance will be affected by the temperature range we are dealing with.

Hey! Welcome to the forum. I am new to wet shaving as well but I do like to use hot water as I also use it to clean off the blade as I am making my passes. I think it just helps clean the lather off the razor quicker but I have noticed that I do like to dip the razor into the hot water before I even start to warm the razor. I just started doing it one day and it just stuck. To each their own I guess. Do what you like.

Welcome to B & B! Your question is one that has many threads discussing the merits of cold water vs. hot water shaving. Whichever you feel gives you the most comfortable shave, I would stick with that. As we go down this path of shaving for pleasure, remember to enjoy!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I am new to shaving with a safety razor. (I'll never go back to cartriges) I have always shaved with cold water because someone explained the physics of temperature and steel to mewhen I was very young. It makes sense that cold water will keep the molecules tightly packed or bunched together therefore resulting in a sharper edge. Seems that heat would cause the steel to expand and would compromise the integrity of the edge. What do you guys think? Am I wayyyy overthinking things?

Welcome to the forum!

If its worth thinking about at all, its worth thinking about until you understand. Once you do understand, you can make an informed decision.

Its been proven that cryogenic treating relieves stress in steels.

Google Scholar

How that relates to razor blades and merely cold water I cant say, but I wouldnt expect much difference in the blade between warm and cold water. The difference in your skin between the two however could be quite large.

Welcome! You can shave with cold water, warm water, hot water, before a shower, in the shower, after a shower, in the bathtub, in the rain, even dry shave if you are so inclined, I suppose. You can use a cart, a disposable, a DE, a single edge, a straight, maybe even a Bowie knife.

Glad you could join us. We love to talk shaving. Also, food, drink, pens, hats, shoes, fishing, music, and such.
We avoid religion & politics, tho.

Happy shaves!

Welcome!!

Welcome to B & B! Your question is one that has many threads discussing the merits of cold water vs. hot water shaving. Whichever you feel gives you the most comfortable shave, I would stick with that. As we go down this path of shaving for pleasure, remember to enjoy!

+1 enjoy!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You can shave with cold water, warm water, hot water, before a shower, in the shower, after a shower, in the bathtub, in the rain, even dry shave if you are so inclined, I suppose. You can use a cart, a disposable, a DE, a single edge, a straight, maybe even a Bowie knife.

Bubba_Approves.jpg

Welcome! You can shave with cold water, warm water, hot water, before a shower, in the shower, after a shower, in the bathtub, in the rain, even dry shave if you are so inclined, I suppose. You can use a cart, a disposable, a DE, a single edge, a straight, maybe even a Bowie knife.

Glad you could join us. We love to talk shaving. Also, food, drink, pens, hats, shoes, fishing, music, and such.
We avoid religion & politics, tho.

Happy shaves!
Yep. And welcome to B&B.

Welcome to the Badger and Blade. Check some of the threads and you will know your nowhere near overthinking shaving.
FWIW my own experience with cold vs hot. I tend to shave cold water in the summer and hot water in the winter. I have never noticed any difference in blade performance or longevity. I have used maybe a dozen different blades and if there is a difference hot vs cold in either sharpness, smoothness, or longevity it was too small for me to notice.

As best as I can figure, steel density is what you're talking about. In the temperature range we shave the density doesn't change much at all.

What does change is your face. What's optimal, I don't know. I err to comfort. It's warm water for me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Try shaving with cold water out of an army helmet for a week in winter, then tell me how great it is. I did it almost 50 years ago in basic training. It's been warm water, or no shave, ever since. I like warm water for my face, but prefer my DE/blade soaked in very hot water before using.

Last edited:
The edge will not be compromised unless it is heated beyond the tempering range.
This will not be of concern with tap water. Treat yourself to some warm prep, unless you have incredibly sensitive skin you will love it in comparison.
Some prefer cold water but not because they are concerned about the steel. They have issues with irritation using warm or hot water.

Top Bottom