What's new

New to the Forum - Checking in from GA!

What's up everyone - I see alot of West Coast people around (especially youtubers)... anyone from East Coast/Southeast? I don't wanna feel like the odd one out here, LOL!

Plus, while I have no qualms searching through videos and websites to find soaps, any personal recommendations other than the usual suspects (Stirling, Razorock, Fine, A&E, B&M, TOBS, etc) would be greatly appreciated!

Hello, I'm from the East Coast in Virginia. I've also spent time in North Carolina and Tennessee.

Cella Extra Extra Bio (green packaging) is definitely worth trying. Speick stick is excellent. You might try one of the French soaps such as Provence Sante Green Tea or Osma Tradition. Try a Haslinger soap such as Coconut for this time of year, or another flavor that sounds good.

Connaught Shaving in the UK has good prices and the shipping cost is not too bad. They have smaller, 100g containers of Italian soft soaps such as Vitos Extra Super Coco and 3P. They also have Wickham's 1912, an English artisan; Meissner Tremonia, a German artisan; and Saponificio Bignoli, an Italian artisan.

Crap - I just realized I should probably mention what I'm working with right?

So naturally, I dove right in and have the following:

Razors-
  • Detroit Grooming Co. 'Alpha'
  • King C Gillette
  • Merkur 34c
  • 1964 SS Flare Tip
  • 1956 SS Red Tip (Executive from Delta Echo - before they closed)
  • Razorock MJ90 (on the way)

Soaps-
  • Fine American Blend
  • Buff City Soap Co 'Kraken' (local soap company)
  • Razorock Gold Label
  • Razorock Acqua
  • Razorock Sicily
  • Detroit Grooming Co. Harbor Springs
Currently working through different blades to see how they stand against the King C Gillette, as I find the 34c much too mild for my taste. My hair is thick and it's the only razor I have yet to get BBS regardless of the blade used. I am using the razors to shape my cheek and neck area to tidy up my beard for now. Any suggestions to keep digging down the rabbit hole are greatly appreciated, LOL! :straight:

Hello, I'm from the East Coast in Virginia. I've also spent time in North Carolina and Tennessee.

Cella Extra Extra Bio (green packaging) is definitely worth trying. Speick stick is excellent. You might try one of the French soaps such as Provence Sante Green Tea or Osma Tradition. Try a Haslinger soap such as Coconut for this time of year, or another flavor that sounds good.

Connaught Shaving in the UK has good prices and the shipping cost is not too bad. They have smaller, 100g containers of Italian soft soaps such as Vitos Extra Super Coco and 3P. They also have Wickham's 1912, an English artisan; Meissner Tremonia, a German artisan; and Saponificio Bignoli, an Italian artisan.

Awesome - now I've got some homework! much appreciated.

If I don't say it first, I'm sure others will- Arko (Turkish-75 grams) can't be beat for the price. You can currently get 2 sticks on amazon for $5.48, 3 for $6.19, or 12 for $15.55. The smell is divisive though, some say "lemon fresh" or "ivory" soap, while others say "citronella" or "urinal cake." It almost lathers itself, but can be drying for some.

I probably prefer La Toja (spanish-50 g) a bit for a shave stick. Lathers almost as well as Arko, but IMHO smells much better. Typically runs about ~$5-6 a stick on amazon or from the various shaving-specific vendors. You can also currently get a 3 pack on amazon for $13.99. Comes in a convenient plastic case with holes in the top for drying.

I haven't tried any nicer soaps yet, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
DO NOT CHASE AFTER THE NEXT GREATEST THING IN SOAPS!

You'll thank me someday. Take the advice handed out for free by @tbhoff .... Arko is great if you like the smell of a clean public restroom, which I do.

Arko smells to me like this: imagine you are the very first customer in a mom and pop gas station/convenience store on their first day of business.

If you have seen the movie "Dumb and Dumber" it smells the opposite of the restroom where Jim Carey is "going to his happy place."

You follow my advice, and you will be able to afford to send all you kids to Ivy League Kolleges.

And welcome!

Waste your money on blades. They take up less space.

You're certainly welcome here. People from all over the world. You are not alone from the East by any means. I'm Michigan bred and now in Florida.
You will hear of lots of products to try. Very deep rabbit hole if not careful.

Welcome—I’m in the greater Atlanta area. There are a few Georgians in here.

Captains Choice is my favorite artisan lately.

Welcome to B&B, neighbor! I'm from Jacksonville, FL (basically south Georgia). You mentioned Stirling and they are an excellent product. I like their Barbershop scent. My favorite brand is Mike's Natural Soaps. I think they perform better than Stirling, and way better than Cella. Great scents, too. I think his Orange, Cedarwood, & Black Pepper is the best scent I've tried - from any soap maker, and I've tried a fair number.

Top Bottom