What's new

New to straights - lots to learn - intro and question on used razor

Hi Folks,

Been a B&B member for over a year and have turned a daily or every other day shave from a chore to something I look forward to. I started out dissatisfied with the cost of cartridge razors and used generic disposables - I was not even using canned shave cream, but bar soap to shave. I saw the commercial for the MicroTouch, but was leery of it and started investigating. I ended up going with a Utopia (Pakistani razor on Amazon) and loved it.

After getting the basics down - started collecting DE razors - trying to get a broad assortment of different syles - Old Type, NEW, pre-war Tech, Sheraton, Red Tip. 40's SS, Kronas, etc. Eventually getting a FB, Slim, SA, Old Languard, and a variety of others. I started to restore brushes and build some brushes and enjoy hitting thrift stores and flea markets for shaving related gear. I have recently started using single edge razors (1912, 1914, 1924, MMOC's and have purchased a few injectors (E & I types).

10 months ago - I was reading up on straight razors - and purchased a Gold Dollar 66 off of eBay. I have not done anything with it, as it will need to be worked over and honed to make it ready to shave. I do not have a clue to do it. In looking over razor lots on eBay - I started looking at straights. I was looking at some Torrey brand razors - as they were made in Worcester, MA, which is a few towns away from where I live. I ended up looking at 'shave ready' Gold Dollars from some vendors here in the States that prepare the GD brand razors for shaving - and then came across the KY430 brand. I started reading posts on those - and that some on here felt they would be OK if they were not in bad shape from a QC perspective and could have the bevel set on them and then sharpened up. I ended up buying two and a cheap strop. I likely will go to Whipped Dog and order a sight unseen razor so I will have a properly shave ready razor and then see if I can find someone to hone the KY430's or the GD66.

I did win an auction last night for a Ontario Cutlery Co. Clean Cutter model straight. I did not know what I was buying to be honest, but it did not look to be in too bad a condition - after reviewing some of the WIKI info on here on what you do not want to get. Please feel free to comment on this razor and let me know whether you think it could be restored into shaving shape and from the pictures whether it is decent or not.

$EasyCutterStraight2.jpg

$EasyCutterStraight1.jpg

Looking forward to learning more, reading more, and starting on this new piece of this enjoyable hobby.

Welcome to the world of straight razors. The Easy Cutter looks like it will be just that. If you want, I will hone it for you for the cost of postage. You can send along your GDs also. PM if you are interested.

Congrats looks good to me as well, just get her honed. Folks say you can catch the tip easier on a square point when you're getting started, but as long as you are aware of it at all times it shouldn't be a problem. Have fun on your new journey!

Once honed, those upstate NY razors are really nice. They aren't fancy, but they competed well with the German imports of the time. Learn and burn on the Chinese razors, but I bet this will be one of your favorites.

Thank you folks for the comments. That is very generous of you Alpster, I will PM you for sure - thank you!

I am glad to hear the Easy Cutter will work well and that the Ontario Cutlery Co. produced a good razor. I will hopefully receive it late this week.

Excited to start out with the straights.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hats off to Alpster. Its one thing to hone a good vintage American razor like that Ontario, but a labor of love to hone a couple of Gold Dollars as well.

Labrax, you have done it now. I see you teetering on the edge of a very deep rabbit hole. But you will have plenty of company down here.

$DarkSideCookies.jpg

Thank you Slash - I have been in contact with Alpster via PM and will be taking him up on his wonderful offer to hone these two razors. I hope one day I can offer something similar to another member. May be time to get a PIF DE box together with some soap, blades, brush and razor for a new DE shaver.

The darkside has cookies - I'm in!

Hi labrax! Glad to see you taking the plunge! Looks like a fine razor you are getting.
Just remember, start easy, no pressure, stretch the skin, slick lather, watch that tip, and enjoy!

Looking forward to it. Was watching Lynn Abrams video tutorial and another Chimensch's shaving video as well as others on maintain ing and edge by stropping.

Top Bottom