What's new

New to straight razors. Looking for some help finding a product

Hi. As the title suggests, I'm new to straight razor shaving, having only used cartridges in the past. I've been watching videos about technique and styles of blades, and I think I'm ready to plan for purchasing one.

While I am a beginner, I'm not too worried about safety concerns beyond the obvious "this is a knife you're putting to your face" realization. For example, some places say to avoid kamisoris (namely the feather AC series) due to their higher sharpness compared to a western. I'm looking for something long-term (until I have enough disposable income to where I can afford multiple blades), and so I want to make a purchase right now that will suit me for when I am at a higher skill-level, even if it's less safe right now.

I'm familiar with honing (but not stropping) since I'm an amateur cook interested in kitchen knives. But I'm also open to disposable shavettes if they're worth looking into.

I guess I'm not really sure where to start or what I'm looking for. Currently, I have a relatively thick beard, and I'm looking to maintain that. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

I would suggest starting with a round point and 5/8 or 6/8. Round point so you dont stick yourself getting used to the angles (especially behind the ear), and size as its middle of the road and easy to find. :D

I have a Double Duck GoldenEdge that I find is a very very forgiving blade. You may want to consider one of those as a starter. If you want something brand new, Ralf Aust makes a nice blade that you can get fairly inexpensively.

Either way, make sure whatever blade you buy is truly shave ready. Depending on who you buy it from, you may even want to send it off to someone to get it honed no matter what they tell you as far as shave ready is concerned. And there are many folks here on B&B who are capable of doing that for you at a moderate cost (and sometimes no cost since you are new!).

Welcome to SR shaving, and best of luck! Keep at it, and dont let that first couple of months of bad shaves turn you off... you'll get used to it, and likely never look back!

Hi. As the title suggests, I'm new to straight razor shaving, having only used cartridges in the past. I've been watching videos about technique and styles of blades, and I think I'm ready to plan for purchasing one.

While I am a beginner, I'm not too worried about safety concerns beyond the obvious "this is a knife you're putting to your face" realization. For example, some places say to avoid kamisoris (namely the feather AC series) due to their higher sharpness compared to a western. I'm looking for something long-term (until I have enough disposable income to where I can afford multiple blades), and so I want to make a purchase right now that will suit me for when I am at a higher skill-level, even if it's less safe right now.

I'm familiar with honing (but not stropping) since I'm an amateur cook interested in kitchen knives. But I'm also open to disposable shavettes if they're worth looking into.

I guess I'm not really sure where to start or what I'm looking for. Currently, I have a relatively thick beard, and I'm looking to maintain that. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
[/QUOTE
Aldwyn gave you good advice. I think you should start with a real straight first and not a shavette. A real round point straight is much more forgiving than a shavette and the real blade has a totally different feel on your skin. The closest relationship between the 2 is you hold them the same way.
You can probably get a shave ready restored vintage from someone like Griffith Shave works in about the $100 range. It will be shave ready! You probably won’t get much new in the $100 range unless you’re looking at Gold Dollar or similar. Boker’s are good if you have the coins.
Good luck and enjoy yourself in the world of straight razor shaving.

A couple of thoughts for you.

I always suggest that new guys buy old restored razor from the Buy-Sell-Trade forum here or elsewhere. You are getting good steel from the heyday of straight razor manufacturing, just not as pretty as it used to be. The key is you want no active rust. It is easy to find those for $35 in shave ready condition. So, you could buy 2 of those, so one is always ready to shave.

Honing your own razors is really satisfying. But we are talking about 12,000 grit or better to finish an edge. You might need to add a stone or 2, or look into lapping films.

Welcome to the adventure.

Thanks, guys. Do you have any suggestions on Western straights vs Japanese kamisori?
My vote is western but then I’ve never tried Japanese kamisori. I can definitely say though that Japanese western blades are fabulous. That I know from first hand experience.

Japanese kamisori have an asymmetric grind and were typically used favoring one hand. I would suggest as a beginner to look at western grind for now, you’ll get your practice in on something likely to be easier to find (good quality, affordable) and you could try the kamisori later. There are many who make a western grind kamisori and this will have the symmetrical grind

The Feather AC is my favorite razor. I find that the DX shaves more closely to a traditional straight, while the SS is more forgiving on the skin.

For a "newbie" about to learn, it is a question of weighing tradeoffs. IMO a traditional blade is capable of providing a more comfortable edge that easier to use and learn on if properly honed. However the learning curriculum is bigger in that you also must strop properly and eventually/probably will want to learn to hone, as the type of edge impacts how much you enjoy the shave. If your edge is not keen enough it will slow the process of learning how to shave. Where in comparison the AC has no maintenance, but requires more care and focus while learning. Also the shave experience is different in that the AC provides less feedback compared to a hollow western straight.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!! I agree with all the above. I started with a Feather SS kamasori. I recommend a vintage western style razor to start. There are many to be found at very reasonable prices.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
If you want to learn to shave without worrying with maintenance, I would recommend a half blade shavette like a Parker SR1. Inexpensive and very effective. Also, once you become addicted, they are great for travel. Same technique. If you can use one, you can use the other. It is more difficult to learn to shave and hone at the same time anyway. Learn to shave first.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... Same technique. ....
I wouldn't say same technique, but similar technique. A shavette type SR normally requires a flatter angle on the skin and generally the overall mass of the razor is noticably less than a traditional SR so you need to adjust accordingly.

I use traditional SRs at home and a shavette type on shorter trips (when our curfew is relaxed).

6/8, 7/8 round or straight point dovo, or Square Point Aust would be your best bet. I started on a Bismarck 2 and then quickly jumped to the Aust. If I could of down it all over again, I would of just just started with the square point.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I wouldn't say same technique, but similar technique. A shavette type SR normally requires a flatter angle on the skin and generally the overall mass of the razor is noticably less than a traditional SR so you need to adjust accordingly.

I use traditional SRs at home and a shavette type on shorter trips (when our curfew is relaxed).
Agree but very similar. I didn’t mention that a shavette is freaking sharp and a traditional straight is more forgiving but maintenance is a real problem for most new straight shavers. I started to learn to shave with a shavette but didn’t give it enough time. I now enjoy shavettes quite a lot though. Hope all is getting better in the Philippines.

IMO a DE shavette takes the most time and skill to "master", more than razors which use the longer Feather blades. Mostly due to having a shorter blade and points, though the blade flexiblilty might also be a factor. Now I enjoy using a DE shavette as part of changing up the daily/weekly routine, but it took a long time to get really comfortable with it.

Welcome to the club, sir! I'm rather new as well. I'm a little obsessive though, so I purchased new razors up front. Both a Thiers-Issard from my local AOS store and a Dovo Pearlex online. One that I really think highly of though is the Boker King Cutter. Great price. Great name. Fantastic starter blade. Will last a lifetime with good maintenance. My next buy is gonna be either a Boker or Aust. Good luck! The learning curve is for real...dont get discouraged:)

The best thing a newbie can do is look in the BST and see what others have to offer. Also if your going to look on eBay for a blade always ask here and someone will help you choose the right blade.

Larry

Top Bottom