What's new

New To Straight Razor Shaving and I have a Question About Quality

OK Guys, I have been DE shaving or about a year now and wanted to give straight razor shaving a go. I did a lot of research looking around decided to make the choice to buy a very cheap Straight Razor that came with a very small strop. I did purchase it from a reputable company that I have purchased some DE stuff from in the past, but I am wondering if going cheap was a bad idea or maybe just technique. I have watched several tutorial videos on straight razor shaving and think I have the basics down and have been shaving with a couple times a week now for several weeks. Have had some blood bath days and learned from those and a bit better about that now but have to say my DE shaving experience is a much closer shave and much smoother across the face.

The straight razor has no name but the ad when purchasing mentioned Gold Dollar, but I don't see that anywhere on the blade or scales. I strop it before every shave, which is very difficult on this very small strop that came with the razor.

Question, is it worth moving up to a Dovo or Ralf Aust or better to give another few months on this one?

Thanks in Advance!

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Welcome to B&B and the fun side of shaving! :straight:
Nothing wrong with Gold Dollars, as many here will testify. Post up a pic of what you've got, with a close-up of the edge if you can. Some folks here have VERY good eyes. If you're looking for a second razor and a new strop, check out Larry at Whipped Dog and go for either a Poor Man or a Rich Man's sight unseen set.

I got a Ralf Aust blade/strop combo from Straight Razor Design that saved me about $30. I am loving both being about a month into this journey.

Welcome to B&B and the fun side of shaving! :straight:
Nothing wrong with Gold Dollars, as many here will testify. Post up a pic of what you've got, with a close-up of the edge if you can. Some folks here have VERY good eyes. If you're looking for a second razor and a new strop, check out Larry at Whipped Dog and go for either a Poor Man or a Rich Man's sight unseen set.

Thanks Rockviper, here are a couple pics of my razor, and thanks for the Whipped Dog suggestion.

$P8230001.jpg$P8230003.jpg$P8230004.jpg

I got a Ralf Aust blade/strop combo from Straight Razor Design that saved me about $30. I am loving both being about a month into this journey.

Thanks bjhubb, I have been checking out Straight Razor Designs, actually Lynn Abrams is who suggested a Ralf Aust blade/strop combo as well in a response to a question I had to one of his videos online.

Thanks again!

That's definitely a gold dollar, which should hone up okay. Looks like scales inspired by Portland razor co.

You should be fine with what you bought, probably as a newbie you'll need this refreshed or honed if stropping or use degrades the edge.

Most of would encourage at least a second straight while the other was being refreshed/honed. The aust would be a nice factory step up from the GD.

No prob, if you'd like me to hone up your current blade in the future, id be happy to help. You just cover return shipping.

No prob, if you'd like me to hone up your current blade in the future, id be happy to help. You just cover return shipping.
Thanks Jon, I just might take you up on that in the near future! If I stick with the straight razor stuff I would be interested in learning to hone myself as well. Watched several vids on it, just out of curiosity to see how it is done pretty interesting. If I get the Ralf Aust I may be sending the GD to you.

Top Bottom