What's new

New to SR Shaving

I agree of course, except that I have not much experience with Sheffield steel @Seveneight, (see my first post in this thread) but I was only joking about the letter opener:).

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
After 40 years of shaving with safety/cassette razors, I have decided to try using a straight razor. I received my first SR last week from China - USD 8.

I am not new to honing a blade having been a shipwright in Australia, however I will need to develop my stropping skills (as well as using a SR).

I am Australian living in Cebu, Philippines.
Great decision. I waited 55 years. After a month or two you will have it down. I keep shaving as simple as possible. No pre-shave prep except a shower, soap up and shave. I’ve even started using Barbasol and eliminated brushing. Eventually you will be getting the best and most comfortable shaves of your life. Keep at it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am resurrecting this thread to thank all those in B&B for the knowledge and guidance they have given me over the past few months.

Today was my 90th SR shave and as is normal now, I get a DFS with two passes (WTG & XTG) with no skin damage and nil irritation. Besides learning my SR shaving technique and The Method inter alia, I have accumulated:
  • 6 x Titan ACRM-2 SRs
  • 2 x generic all stainless steel shavettes
  • 2 x Gold Dollar "Classic Quality" W59 SRs
  • 1 x Titan VG10-HZ
  • 1 x Titan ACRO SR
I also currently have on order:
  • 2 x Titan ACRM-2 SRs to make a seven-day set + 1
  • 7 x Titan VG10-HZ SRs to make a seven-day set +1
That will make 21 SRs. Is there a bottom to this rabbit hole?

Again, thank you to all.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
No. Stay with the Titans, don't start with vintage:D. I also have a Titan in all flavors. What are your thoughts on them? I mean the different steel types. One you like more/less?
There are four things I look for in steel types; ease of honing, edge quality, holding an edge, and corrosion resistance.

For ease of honing, the ACRM-2 is the best followed by the VG10-HZ and then the ACRO.

For edge quality it would be ACRM-2 and ACRO about equal with the VG10-HZ just a little behind.

For both holding an edge and corrosion resistance it is ACRO then VG10-HZ and ACRM-2.

Holding an edge is not such a great concern to me as I give each blade 50 laps on a 0.1u pasted hanging balsa strop after each use. That keeps the edge perfect and even tends to improve it a little more over time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom