What's new

New to SR Shaving

Hello All,

New here, and not sure where to start. Posting this here because it is mostly about me being new to SR shaving and looking for advice. I will try to make this as short as I can.

Got interested in trying a straight razor in the last month or 2. I got one from someone online who restores them. It was very nice and arrived shave-ready. No one else in my family or friends uses a straight, so I learned from youtube. My first shave was great, and I was hooked. Not saying that I did perfect, but it was very smooth and comfortable and I loved it.
So I fell in love with SR shaving after that first shave. Of course, like anyone new, I didn't really know what I getting into. Loved the shaving, but quickly learned that apparently I suck at actually taking care of a SR.

I have fairly sensitive skin but pretty coarse facial hair. After the 3rd shave with my new razor I could tell a difference in how it was shaving. I had purchased a strop, and used it. I did not have good technique, but believe I have largely corrected that now. I knew that my technique wasn't good when I bought a brand new razor and it was very sharp when I tested it, but after stropping it was significantly duller. I was able to improve my stropping and the blade improved.

So now I have 2 razors for my new hobby. But, I had dulled them both with improper care. Then I had the idea to buy an old, cheap razor off of ebay to practice honing. I got an 8k stone and a 12k stone, and lapping stone.
I should have realized that a $20 razor on ebay is probably going to come with more problems than an 8k stone and someone with no experience can fix. The razor has chips or a sawtooth edge. I tried honing it several times, but it was still quite a rough experience on my face.
I also made a mistake with my other stone (an ILR). I had heard about the idea of lapping, and that the stone need to be flat. Makes sense to me, so I put some light pencil marks on the ILR and starting lapping. I learned that the center was slightly bowed (pencil marks were gone on the ends but not the middle). I had put a good bit of effort into it at that point, and I went harder on the lapping, and used a slurry stone on it once. Well, the fact that it was wet seemed to hide the damage I had done. Once it dried it looked like this:

proxy.php

I had scratched the surface all up. I figured that can't be good, so I got myself some sandpaper and wet-sanded the surface, which took about 800 strokes progressing through 180, 220, and 400 grit. Now it looks like this:

proxy.php

I am assuming this is ok?

Now I have ordered a 2k stone and 5k stone, but they have not arrived yet.
I am using a cartridge razor this week to give my face a rest after some pretty harsh test shaves, but not giving up.

Happy to hear any advice you may have. I know that the problems with the razors were my doing. I have no problem at all with paying a professional to re-hone, but I am also someone that loves to learn how to do things and have a fair bit of patience. I was going to wait until my other stones arrive, and try again.

Anyway, this has been longer than I intended. Thanks for reading.

Jason

It's great that you are learning to hone yourself. There are many videos online that can help. You might also want to consider getting one of them honed by a professional, just so you know what the end result should feel like.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

For honing, if youtube learning works for you, I have two/three words. Keith V Johnson.

Like you I started SR shaving and honing simultaneously (for me it's around 16 months now of daily shaving). There are lots of great youtube videos on honing, but I have to say Keith's really took the mystery out of it for me.

It's great that you are learning to hone yourself. There are many videos online that can help. You might also want to consider getting one of them honed by a professional, just so you know what the end result should feel like.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
what video would you recommend ?

You are trying to learn three separate things at one time with shaving, stropping and honing. It is challenging but doable. I did it.

I bought a sight unseen from WhippedDog so I had a shave ready razor. I also bought the poorman’s strop for that razor. I then bought a vintage razor off the bay for practice honing.

To practice honing the vintage I bought lapping film, like @steveclarkus recommended. I had a shave ready edge rather quickly with the films. I could now repair an edge and really practice shaving and stropping. A key to good edges is the bevel set.

Once my shaving and stropping improved, I bought some stones to play with. I have a Naniwa 1k, 5k, 8k & 12k set. I also use balsa strops.

I would recommend sending one of your razors out for a honing. Then work on putting edges on your other razors. I also used YouTube for stropping and honing videos. Lynne Abrams has a good honing video.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I learned to shave and hone at the same time using film. I still use film - I like the simplicity. Film is just another synthetic hone without the mess and lapping and I would rather spend my money on razors.

I recommend that you learn to shave with a SR FIRST before learning to hone. Otherwise, how will you know if your errors are due to bad shaving technique or bad honing?

I learned with a whipped dog razor. it took me FOUR shaves to be comfortable with a naked blade on my face, and I nailed it around shave sixteen when I learned to stretch more. God only knows how long it would have taken had I tried to learn honing at the same time.

Needless to say that with my approach, you will need to learn the skill of stropping along side shaving.

Top Bottom