What's new

New to shooting - centrefire rifle calibre suggestions please

While there is a lot of good information given here, keep in mind the OP is a beginner and DownUnder so many of the options are simply not readily available.

Mate, keep it simple.

Get a good .22, don't skimp. CZ's are readily available. Top of range US made are pretty good as well. The Chinese CZ copies are accurate but are rough mechanically.

In centrefire, start with the 223. Easy and relatively cheap to buy good quality ammo until you are ready to reload and then components are easy to get. Accurate in a good rifle and the low recoil will enable you to hone your skills before going bigger.
If you are just using it informally on the range get a heavy barrel Tikka or a Savage. They will not disappoint you.

Don't skimp on the mounts or optics either.

I did not pay attention to location of the OP. In his case I would do a lot of research as to what is available there and is most economical.

+1 on this. .223 all the way. Unlimited options for rifles and accessories and ammo readily accessible, though not cheap.

You mentioned you want fun to shoot with limited recoil, that's accurate with a flat trajectory...well you pretty much just sold yourself a.223. Prices of ammo in the USA are outrageous I can only imagine what they are in Australia! Get the .223 it is everything you want and you'll be able to find ammo. If you ever decide to hunt you will be able to take small to medium size game with it too.

If you decide you want bigger get a .308.

My favorites are 22-250, 243, 270, 308, and 30-06. If wind or brush is an issue, the 270, 308, or 30-06 will probably be effected less that the 243 or 22 round. 308 and 30-06 are both very versatile; there are a lot of different bullet weights available if you reload.

If you are not going to reload and want to plink all day; the 22-250 or the 243 has next to no recoil and are flat shooting. All of the above calibers will no problem reaching out to 500 meters; unless you have a lot of wind. 30-06 would be the hardest on a barrel but I think it will still take you a log time to wear out the barrel with normal ammo loads.

223 is ok - but I just think the 22-250 is superior. Shoots flatter and can shoot a heavier bullet. If you do go the 223 route - get a 1 in 8 or 1 in 7 twist barrel which will give you more choices of bullet weights.

Can you get older military surplus rifles? What about (e.g.) an Enfield? There are some old military bolt action rifles that are very accurate; although surplus military ammo is starting to dry up.

The .223 does seem to be the most practical idea. But if the cost of ammo is really not a concern and the idea of a 7mm still appeals- the 7mm-08 is outrageously fun. Shoots very flat, recoil seems to be just a tick harder than with a .243. That is to say it's entirely comfortable to shoot, even for an extended session.

You mentioned you want fun to shoot with limited recoil, that's accurate with a flat trajectory...well you pretty much just sold yourself a.223. Prices of ammo in the USA are outrageous I can only imagine what they are in Australia! Get the .223 it is everything you want and you'll be able to find ammo. If you ever decide to hunt you will be able to take small to medium size game with it too.

If you decide you want bigger get a .308.

.223 is fine for long range shooting, but the more serious shooters like some thing a bit larger.

6mm (.243) is very popular bullet size for long range shooters. Some even like to go larger with a .308.

Larger bullets tend to be more stable in longer range shooting.

thanks to all who responded, your suggestions and advice really gave me help in reaching my decision.

I made my choice and decided on both a 223 and a 308. both guns are Remington 5R Milspecs. just waiting to scope them and hit the range.

I suppose I should post some pics shortly...

now I'm on the lookout for a Lee Enfield Mk4 (.303 British)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Chilliman64, that is a fine selection. One word of caution, do not cut corners on the scopes or mounts. If you are serious about long range accuracy, you should spend as much, if not more, for your optics than you did for your rifles.

wow, things happen fast sometimes. I found a beaut #4 Enfield with a five groove barrel for a hundred and fifty dollars - including 60rounds of new ammo and a sling. I could sell it for $250 by itself.

I gave it a good clean up. there is no noticeable pitting or rust. everything looks pretty good for a 70yr old rifle. I took it to the range and groups pretty well, as good as can be expected.

I've scoped it and hope to go this weekend and run some more rounds through it.

regarding my 700's - I haven't fired either as yet as I'm still waiting on the xmp trigger recall call-up so I can get them sorted out. they're just sitting in the safe with their gunsocks on waiting to go for a run... in the meantime the 22lr and the 303 will get a thorough workout. :biggrin1:

Chilliman64, that is a fine selection. One word of caution, do not cut corners on the scopes or mounts. If you are serious about long range accuracy, you should spend as much, if not more, for your optics than you did for your rifles.

good advice nortac, thank you

I bought a 'no gunsmith' base. it fitted with removal of the rear sight. it was a bit fiddly but I got it done. hope to take it to the range tomorrow (Sunday) for sighting-in and to play with the scope a bit. the scope is a Nikon 5-20x44 BDC. I like the idea of using the Nikon 'spoton' website to help with bullet drop, time will tell if I made a good choice or not.

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/spoton/spoton.html

Top Bottom