What's new

new to SE but like vets opinions of the expensive one blade vs supply company single edge

Hi friends I am a newb in general but like to try a smooth and efficient SE razor however the ones that are most modern and seen on youtube are the one blade which is way too expensive IMO for what it is or the still pricey but less so the super supply company injector single edge razor. Or if there is a way better option id love to hear your informative and concise thoughts and opinions, Thanks!

For a good se experience:

For price/performance/ease of use/style, I like the razorock hawk. But they are out of stock.

For something similar to the hawk that costs more but looks awesome, att se1. Fantastic razor.

Btw, att stands for “above the tie”

Personally, I would recommend that you get a good vintage injector razor from eBay, such as a Schick Type J or L or Adjustable, and some Schick blades from Amazon. The modern razors look impressive, but they are too expensive, and I don't think they provide any improvement over the vintage razors.

Personally, I would recommend that you get a good vintage injector razor from eBay, such as a Schick Type J or L or Adjustable, and some Schick blades from Amazon. The modern razors look impressive, but they are too expensive, and I don't think they provide any improvement over the vintage razors.
Agree with this. If you want the look get the Personna. Personally I always recommend the I2 Hydromagic as a good place to start.
proxy.php

I'm not a fan of injectors - tried them and moved on for several reasons, but they have a lot of supporters. But I'm a BIG fan of GEM razors. Fortunately for a new user, there are plenty available and they're ridiculously cheap. If you're in the USA start with a Micromatic Open Comb or Clog-Pruf. If you're in Europe an Ever-Ready 1912 or 1914 or 1924. We're talking as little as $10-15 here. You absolutely need some Personna PTFE blades - nothing else will do. They're crazy sharp - probably the sharpest blade of any kind I've used. And rigid, which means very little irritation. These may look like very retro razors to modern eyes, but don't be put off by that. After your first shave with a PTFE you'll know you have something special.

I got a Gem G Bar razor on eBay for about $12. I think it's about the coolest looking razor I ever saw. To think it was made long before computers and CAD programs existed - and it's specs are tight as a drum - blows me away. Paired with some coated Personna blades, it gives me outstanding shaves.
upload_2019-2-2_10-13-22.jpeg

Thanks for the explanation everyone! I can finally post and reply without error messages.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of injectors - tried them and moved on for several reasons, but they have a lot of supporters. But I'm a BIG fan of GEM razors. Fortunately for a new user, there are plenty available and they're ridiculously cheap. If you're in the USA start with a Micromatic Open Comb or Clog-Pruf. If you're in Europe an Ever-Ready 1912 or 1914 or 1924. We're talking as little as $10-15 here. You absolutely need some Personna PTFE blades - nothing else will do. They're crazy sharp - probably the sharpest blade of any kind I've used. And rigid, which means very little irritation. These may look like very retro razors to modern eyes, but don't be put off by that. After your first shave with a PTFE you'll know you have something special.
Can you please elaborate on the reasons you don't like injector razors for my own awareness and personal enlightment?

IMHO, OneBlade is painfully overpriced. I have a gen 1 Supply, and it is a competent shaver, much better after I decreased the length of the guard bar and minimized the blade stop height. I believe they made changes similar to this on the gen 2.

Short version: for a fairly aggressive shave, start with the Gem or Eveready, 1930s or earlier. Milder would be the G-Bar, pictured earlier, from the 1950s.

The injectors (IME) mellow with age as well. I enjoy the Repeaters, and the all-metal from 1947 is good.

My modified Supply #3 plate gives a hair more blade exposure than the '47.

IMHO, OneBlade is painfully overpriced. I have a gen 1 Supply, and it is a competent shaver, much better after I decreased the length of the guard bar and minimized the blade stop height. I believe they made changes similar to this on the gen 2.

Short version: for a fairly aggressive shave, start with the Gem or Eveready, 1930s or earlier. Milder would be the G-Bar, pictured earlier, from the 1950s.

The injectors (IME) mellow with age as well. I enjoy the Repeaters, and the all-metal from 1947 is good.

My modified Supply #3 plate gives a hair more blade exposure than the '47.
Oh so non injector razors are better overall?

For a good se experience:

For price/performance/ease of use/style, I like the razorock hawk. But they are out of stock.

For something similar to the hawk that costs more but looks awesome, att se1. Fantastic razor.

Btw, att stands for “above the tie”
I have a Supply and the Black Hawk (which is currently available from Italian Barber for $30). The SE1, last time I checked, is also only currently available as an aluminum razor. I haven't tried the SE1, but you don't risk much by trying the Black Hawk. The Supply also works very well for me, but I find I enjoy using the Hawk more.

I bought an Asylum RX because I liked the look of it. I probably can't contribute much because I don't really have anything to compare it to. The blades are Artist Club, and not particularly cheap. They do seem to last a good long while though. I can easily get a week on each blade and probably more. Had I done a bunch of research before buying it I may have chosen something else. It was sort of an impulse buy when I made the decision to move away from my cartridge razor in mid January. I definitely don't regret it. It's certainly a razor that needs to be respected and I think the learning curve may have been shorter with a more gentile razor. That said, I'm really happy to have it, and use it every day. It shaves great and I would not part with it. I still really like the way it looks more so than any other SE razor I've seen.

Oh so non injector razors are better overall?

:001_smile It depends on what you like. In general, injectors are boringly efficient, "efficient" being the key word. If you like lots of blade, demanding of your technique, that would not be most injectors. If you want a close, easy, shave, a bit more aggressive and (IMHO) more efficient than a Tech DE, you'll like the injectors.

I'd try them all, of each blade type. Lots of good info here about not breaking the bank. I'd find a $15 Gem-blade classic, a $15 Schick injector, and a (more expensive) AC-blade razor like an aluminum General on the BST. They're all different, and all a lot of fun. When you're done with those, I'd get a $40 Valet Autostrop with an FHS-10 blade set. Lots of adventures ahead!

I like the injectors, but if I had to pick one SE razor it would be the GEM Damaskeene.
For me it has the perfect balance of aggressiveness.

Can you please elaborate on the reasons you don't like injector razors for my own awareness and personal enlightment?

Yes, I am curious as well as with the injector there is no need to fiddle fart around with different angles. You just lay the head flush with your face. Bulletproof.

IMO, you can't beat the Feather Artist Club and compatible blades (such as Schick Proline or Kai) for quality and range of choice. I say get yourself an Above The Tie (ATT) SE1 in stainless if you prefer heavier razors or aluminum (Calypso or Bamboo handle) if you prefer lighter razors. You may never need or want another razor after that. I also second the RazoRock Hawk as a lower-priced alternative to the SE1 aluminum razors, but as noted they're out of stock. I actually use my Hawks more often than my ATTs.

IMO, you can't beat the Feather Artist Club and compatible blades (such as Schick Proline or Kai) for quality and range of choice. I say get yourself an Above The Tie (ATT) SE1 in stainless if you prefer heavier razors or aluminum (Calypso or Bamboo handle) if you prefer lighter razors. You may never need or want another razor after that. I also second the RazoRock Hawk as a lower-priced alternative to the SE1 aluminum razors, but as noted they're out of stock. I actually use my Hawks more often than my ATTs.
Tha RazoRock Hawk in aluminum is not out of stock - it's only the stainless steel version that is out of stock, and seems to have been unavailable for some time now. I have the Black Hawk and it is one of the three razors that I am currently using - and the one that I use most of the time. At $30 you can't beat it.

Top Bottom