What's new

new to SE but like vets opinions of the expensive one blade vs supply company single edge

Back when I started into the whole traditional wetshaving thing, the standard advice was to get a Tech, Merkur, or other DE razor, a blade sampler pack, etc. About a year into it after fiddling around with several razors, blades, soaps, creams, etc., I ran into the single-edge guys and would up getting a G-Bar, which was darn near shaving nirvana until the spring clamp finally wore out. Had I started with the G-Bar, I would never have bothered with anything else and I would have saved quite a bit of money on razors and blades; we won't talk about brushes, soaps, or creams because I would have spent money on those either way. I haven't owned or used enough injectors to render a detailed opinion on them other than they were decent shavers but not exciting.

Points to ponder:
  • There's not a whole lot of blade choice for the GEM-type razors (carbon or stainless are your basic choices, with a couple of minor variants, usually available at your local drug store), so pick the kind you like and shave.
  • All GEM-style razors shave pretty similarly, which is to say they deliver excellent shaves. There are some differences in aggressiveness between models, though, so watch out for that.
  • The razors are very durable and easy to operate.
  • Near-new condition vintage razors can still be had inexpensively, especially compared to some coveted vintage DE razors.
I also have a satin-finish Razorock Hawk and it's an excellent razor for sure; I just shaved with mine this morning. The blades are somewhat more expensive than GEM-style blades and I'm not totally convinced that it delivers shaves that are that much better than can be obtained from GEM razors, but at the price, I think it's worth trying one out if a GEM doesn't work out for you.

Well gents it's been a long while and I have decided to get into SE I have bought the gem micromatic as suggested (thanks for all the advice given) as well as a everready razor and a pal adjustable razor to start off with. Down the line is there anything worthwhile to try out?

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Also are there any shick injector with metal handles? I'm not a fan of the brake lite plastic handles.

Yes, type F, hard to find IMO. Or the type O clone. The ones with plastic handles are great though, no worries. Also, that PAL Adjustable is amazing.

Yes, type F, hard to find IMO. Or the type O clone. The ones with plastic handles are great though, no worries. Also, that PAL Adjustable is amazing.
I'll look into those ty and I'll give one a shot then any suggestions on the bake lite handle models

Top Bottom