What's new

New to scents - advice needed!

OK guys, here's your chance to guide me through the scent world and help me pick out one for this Autumn. I never usually wear perfumes of any kind, so much research needed. Several years ago I settled on Armani He and I still like that a lot, but it's running out.

So today went and tried a bunch. I'm looking for further suggestions like the ones I preferred today roughly in order:
1. Givenchy Interdit - great on the nose, immediate appeal, and seems to back it up OK
2. Issey Super Majeure - did a lot right and nothing much wrong, could maybe live with this?
3. Paco Rabanne 1 Million - not convinced but it's attractive, something not quite right.
4. Dior Eau Sauvage and Sauvage - very nearly there, impressive
5. Armani Code - as above, nearly there but less allure than Sauvage

Armani He is competitive with all the above.

OK but not for me:
Givenchy Pour Home - rather too "perfumey"
Cool Water - fresh but rather simple
CK One - agreeable but not more, too "perfumey"
Dior Homme - light, dry and agreeable, good but rather weak

Not for me:
Chanel Bleu
Jimmy Choo Homme
Tom Ford Noir
CK Eternity - too citrus
YSL Y

That was Day 1. Where do I go from here - plenty more I could try? I'm in London UK.

I would look at the Dunhill line if you are into the more department store style scents. They tend to run a little more masculine and you can get them at a good price, especially at fragrancenet.com. "Desire" for men is an excellent place to start. There are many in the line to choose from as well as the original 1930's fragrance, "Dunhill for men"

Dunhill Cologne at FragranceNet.com

I would look at the Dunhill line if you are into the more department store style scents. They tend to run a little more masculine and you can get them at a good price, especially at fragrancenet.com. "Desire" for men is an excellent place to start. There are many in the line to choose from as well as the original 1930's fragrance, "Dunhill for men"

Dunhill Cologne at FragranceNet.com

Thanks! Bear in mind I'm in the UK so would not pay more to import - should be a UK or European outlet.

What's the alternative to "department store" scents? I'm totally up for anything more interesting - where would I look for artisan scents, if that's what you mean?

I just realized fragrancenet.com may not ship to the UK. You'd have to see about it on your end, but they will definitely be available one way or another.

Also, don't neglect to try out Hai Karate as an old time classic! I wish I could get some. UK only, apparently!

Thanks! Bear in mind I'm in the UK so would not pay more to import - should be a UK or European outlet.

What's the alternative to "department store" scents? I'm totally up for anything more interesting - where would I look for artisan scents, if that's what you mean?
There are the artisans like Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements and the "Fine" variety of fragrances available online. You also have Taylor of Old Bond Street. These are more in the "gentleman's grooming" tradition rather than "designer". It is a different school of approach to fragrance crafting. You also have "drug store" classics by Dana and Coty; things like British Sterling and Jovan. Then there are the "barber" fragrances like Pinaud Clubman aftershaves.

The ones you mentioned I would classify as "Designer". People more attuned to them may reject the classics as old man scents. It just depends on your perspective, your tastes and your audience. I happen to love budget aftershaves because some designers are just too metrosexual for me at my age. CK One and all that just don't suit me.

Thanks for that. In shaving soaps I'm not into barbershop or "perfumey" - I like Grooming Dept, Wholly Kaw and Eufros, which are stronger, more complex and more edgy. I'm probably not the right person for gentlemans grooming - spent a lot of my life as a jazz musician. I like Givenchy L'Interdit because it's different and striking - it was created for Audrey Hepburn in fact. I'm into design, so "designer" probably fits. In soaps I'm more vetiver, fougere, yuzu, that kind of thing.

Thanks for that. In shaving soaps I'm not into barbershop or "perfumey" - I like Grooming Dept, Wholly Kaw and Eufros, which are stronger, more complex and more edgy. I'm probably not the right person for gentlemans grooming - spent a lot of my life as a jazz musician. I like Givenchy L'Interdit because it's different and striking - it was created for Audrey Hepburn in fact. I'm into design, so "designer" probably fits. In soaps I'm more vetiver, fougere, yuzu, that kind of thing.
I see. You probably wanna stick with the Designers; of which I can recommend Dunhill and Mont Blanc. Each one has a bunch of fragrances, but the ones I have smelled have been less perfumy and more manly. I find them more accessible, myself. Less like "guy at the club".

It is an overwhelming process. I went full on Charles Bronson (Pinaud, Jovan, Hai Karate, Old Spice) and never looked back! I wear fragrances mostly for myself. I prefer 70's style macho!

Notino is dead in the US but still operates in Eurpoe, use them for a discounter to shop at. All are available at Notino UK with the exception of Chanel

Great fall scent and is available at Notino or any bigger clothing store….Terre d'Hermes EdP (EdT is poor longevity)

Chopard Oud Malaki is available and is the smoothest oud and tobacco I've smelled (Notino)

Chanel Egoiste

Houbigant Fougere Royale (Notino)

Dolce & Gabbana The One EdP (Notino)

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme EdT - although the current formulation is hit or miss on people, the made in Italy should be easily available via the web. It is still easily available in the US (Notino)

Bvlgari Man in Black EdP (Notino)

Last edited:
We ugly Americans may not have a lot of visibility into what's available in the UK but if I were to pursue something like this, I'd probably go to an uplevel fragrance and beauty store. In the US that means someplace like Sephora or Ulta, or a mid to high end department store like Macy's or Nordstrom's. Such places carry 100+ male fragrances on the shelves. If you give the consultants some information, they can use that to narrow down the options far enough to give you a small number of potential choices.

Things you might want to consider:
- what season do you want to wear it
- what time of day
- where (parties vs office vs dates, and what kind of date)
- whether you want a woods scent or a spice or a floral or an aquatic
- how much projection and longevity you want
- whether you want something more specifically masculine or something more unisex
- whether you want something in large production or something newer or something more artisan

Think about that, and they'll have an easier time choosing something for you.

I'm new to this area myself. Last time I wore cologne was years ago, and it was Polo. Lady friend of mine gave me some Giorgio Armani "Acqua Di Gio" which I like. But, not sure how often will wear it.

Notino is dead in the US but still operates in Eurpoe, use them for a discounter to shop at. All are available at Notino UK with the exception of Chanel

Dolce & Gabbana The One EdP (Notino)

Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme EdT - although the current formulation is hit or miss on people, the made in Italy should be easily available via the web. It is still easily available in the US (Notino)

Bvlgari Man in Black EdP (Notino)

I second Dolce and Gabbana The One EdP. One of my favorite scents of all time. It is great for fall but can really be worn all year.

Given that you are in the UK and you seem to like Vetiver and Yuzu scents...

1) Go to Selfridges...they have a massive fragrance dept and they carry practically every designer and some of the ritzy niche fragrances.

2) Go to Floris on Jermyn. They do perfume well. Mostly botanical oil fragrances that ooze British class. I personally own Santal (a Fougere), Special 127 (worn by Winston Churchill) and No 89 (Ian Fleming's frag).

3) Go across the way to Burlington Arcade and visit the Penhaligon's shop there. Also mostly natural botanical scents and a huge variety of options ranging from the austere like Juniper Sling to the opulent like Hammam Bouquet. I own Blenheim Bouquet and Castile. Both amazing scents.

If you must have designer fragrances, check out Guerlain and Givenchy while manage to make somewhat natural smelling scents despite using synthetic. In particular, Guerlain Vetiver should be one on your list to try. It is to this day the only designer fragrance that has made it in my wardrobe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OK guys, here's your chance to guide me through the scent world and help me pick out one for this Autumn. I never usually wear perfumes of any kind, so much research needed. Several years ago I settled on Armani He and I still like that a lot, but it's running out.

So today went and tried a bunch. I'm looking for further suggestions like the ones I preferred today roughly in order:
1. Givenchy Interdit - great on the nose, immediate appeal, and seems to back it up OK
2. Issey Super Majeure - did a lot right and nothing much wrong, could maybe live with this?
3. Paco Rabanne 1 Million - not convinced but it's attractive, something not quite right.
4. Dior Eau Sauvage and Sauvage - very nearly there, impressive
5. Armani Code - as above, nearly there but less allure than Sauvage

Armani He is competitive with all the above.

OK but not for me:
Givenchy Pour Home - rather too "perfumey"
Cool Water - fresh but rather simple
CK One - agreeable but not more, too "perfumey"
Dior Homme - light, dry and agreeable, good but rather weak

Not for me:
Chanel Bleu
Jimmy Choo Homme
Tom Ford Noir
CK Eternity - too citrus
YSL Y

That was Day 1. Where do I go from here - plenty more I could try? I'm in London UK.
One more...see if you can sample Diptyque. They are the Paris equivalent to Floris and Penhaligon. Tons of scents and some really pretty ones that men can wear. I own Tam Dao and it is the most unadulterated Sandalwood scent I have come across with a heavy dose of pepper and cedar and ultra manly. Great longevity. If you like something more laid back, lots of other options.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom