What's new

New to pomades....

Ive used suavecito and just bought my first oil pomades. I bought a couple different schmiere. The packaging made me buy it lol. So what other pomades should i look at? will just be spiking the front straight up and then laying the rest down. Whats the best way to wash out oil pomades?

It sounds like you need a wax pomade if you want to spike your hair.

Here are some wax pomades:

- Lockhart's Goon Grease
- Lockhart's Fire and Brimstone Heavy Hold. This is similar to Goon Grease, but with red dye used for coloring
- High Life Heavy pomade
- Voodoo Brew I & 2
- Lockhart's Heavy Hold

Murray's Xtra Heavy pomade works well for me in spiking my hair. It's the most affordable of the aforementioned pomades at $6 per tin.

You can try this method for removing oil based pomades:

1. Apply mineral oil to your hair. Make sure your hair is saturated with the oil, as this will help loosen up the oil base pomade.

2. Apply Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist conditioner while to your hair BEFORE you take a shower. This product is one of the best grease cutting conditioners on the market.

3. Use a good clarifying shampoo to remove the pomade along with the mineral oil. I use Suave shampoo and sometimes Head and Shoulders shampoo. Both are excellent at removing oil.

4. Shampoo x 2.

Last edited:
I have used three different petro based pomades:

Lockhart's Fire & Brimstone Heavy Hold
Lockhart's Monster Mash
The Holy Black Galleon

With all three, the pomade has washed out completely after two shampoos with Head & Shoulders Shampoo & Conditioner in 1. If you want to wash it out all at once you should check out How to properly wash out oil based pomades by @Marco

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I am pretty new to pomades and have relatively short hair, about 1" on top, and current used Murray's Superior thinned with baby oil. As my hair is short, I am just looking for some hold and being able to maintain a part, which means I only need about a pea-sized amount of product.

This also makes it much easier to wash out, which I do nightly, just using my shower bar soap x2. A light rinse/wash in the morning as well has me ready for my morning application once again. For folks that use more product, I can see where things could get more problematic.

If you're using any type of oil base or even unorthodox water base pomades you don't need to wash/degrease your hair every night. The build up you get each day helps style, hold, and limits how much more product you need to add the following day.

As for degreasing, its not rocket science with complicated steps and products. I primarily use oil base pomades that are heavy/firm hold and ones with med/high shine. I completely degrease about every 4 days with no worries or issues with my skin breaking out, just keep your face clean and moisturized. It only takes me 2 washes to get everything out. As soon as I get in the shower I start washing my hair with Bar soap that is charcoal based, helps absorb any oils. Using the bar to work up a thick lather then leaving the lather in while I wash the rest of my body. Then I rinse out my hair and use just normal shampoo rinse, add conditioner wash my face with face wash, then rinse my hair.

You can also use Gel type water base pomade the day before you plan to wash your hair. It does help break things down and wash it out easily.
There's no need to add olive oil or mineral oil to your hair first. That will just making things more complicated and an extra step that's not needed. You can how ever add Aussie 3min miracle conditioner to unwashed hair 10 mins prior to your shower which can help break down the pomade. Then shampoo like normal.

Don't be afraid of oil base pomades. There's a bunch of home brewers/artisans that make great products. Many make OB, UWB, and clay pomades:
Lockhart's
Nostalgic Grooming
Pomp's Not Dead
PompKing
Big Slick
Reuzel
Tazmaneian Tame
shear revival

If you're using any type of oil base or even unorthodox water base pomades you don't need to wash/degrease your hair every night. The build up you get each day helps style, hold, and limits how much more product you need to add the following day.

As for degreasing, its not rocket science with complicated steps and products. I primarily use oil base pomades that are heavy/firm hold and ones with med/high shine. I completely degrease about every 4 days with no worries or issues with my skin breaking out, just keep your face clean and moisturized. It only takes me 2 washes to get everything out. As soon as I get in the shower I start washing my hair with Bar soap that is charcoal based, helps absorb any oils. Using the bar to work up a thick lather then leaving the lather in while I wash the rest of my body. Then I rinse out my hair and use just normal shampoo rinse, add conditioner wash my face with face wash, then rinse my hair.

You can also use Gel type water base pomade the day before you plan to wash your hair. It does help break things down and wash it out easily.
There's no need to add olive oil or mineral oil to your hair first. That will just making things more complicated and an extra step that's not needed. You can how ever add Aussie 3min miracle conditioner to unwashed hair 10 mins prior to your shower which can help break down the pomade. Then shampoo like normal.

Don't be afraid of oil base pomades. There's a bunch of home brewers/artisans that make great products. Many make OB, UWB, and clay pomades:
Lockhart's
Nostalgic Grooming
Pomp's Not Dead
PompKing
Big Slick
Reuzel
Tazmaneian Tame
shear revival

Perfect advice! I was almost afraid to try petro-based pomades because of all the "degreasing" tips I had read. Who wants to keep olive oil in the bathroom?!?! I am glad I took the plunge, because I love the performance and feel of these pomades, especially in colder weather. Once summer comes back I am sure the water based will be back on deck.

I get MUCH better results when I use mineral oil on my hair before I use Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist conditioner to remove pomade. When I skip the process of using mineral oil, it's impossible for me to get the pomade out of my hair unless I use a massive amount of Aussie 3 Minute Miracle conditioner.

I don't like using olive oil because it's more expensive than mineral oil and it smells terrible. I prefer the nicely scented Tres Flores mineral oil on my hair. It's less expensive and lighter in weight than olive oil.

Marco's method of using dish washing soap to remove pomade is archaic to say the least. I've tried that method and it strips the oil out of my hair, along with natural oil and I end up with hair that looks completely dead. I'll never use that ancient method again. Dish washing soap and olive oil is an awful way of degreasing in my opinion. It's a stone age method. The modern way of removing pomade is using Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist along with mineral oil.

I use water based promades. I also like a consistent and uniform product. I've been very happy with Fisticuffs "tuff hold" for ~$11 and Union hair (firm med w/ natural shine) for $13. Both are 4oz. My only minus is lack of scent which I tend to enjoy.

I just don't degrease it ever. I shower every day and it takes about a week to wash out with just water. Never really bothered me much. You can also use the pomades that have borax in them to speed up the process. Seems to wash out quite a bit easier.

Top Bottom