What's new

New to pipe smoking, seeking recommendations

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Your pipes are on their way, along with a few other items. My first love (tobacco-wise) was Borkum Riff. Then, for years I smoked Balkan Sobranie (smelled like burnt rubber, but a delicious smoke), but it was discontinued. Lately, and somewhat shockingly, considering the aforementioned, I have enjoyed aromatics - Lane 1-Q has been my preferred blend. So that's what has been in these pipes.

I have reamed the bowls and buffed the bowls and stems. I have also cleaned them with Decatur Pipe-Fresh pipe cleaner. The stems are vulcanite, so there are some bite marks, c'est la vie. I really don't like acrylic stems - too hard.

I'll be selling some of my other pipes on Ebay under the same username - Moostashio. I bid farewell to the brotherhood of pipe smokers. It's been a good ride.
Thank you again! I'll be posting my experiences here if you get interested to see how I'm fairing with your retired companions. This is one of the reasons I think traditional shaving appeals to me so much. Something can be well used and still serve its designed purpose for another user down the line. The world isn't really built like that anymore. We live in such a disposable society. Thank you for allowing your pipes to continue to serve with me.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Thank you sir for taking the time to educate me on all of this. Whether you like it or not, at this point you have become my smoking mentor. The advice you've offered will certainly save me a lot of time, money and headaches over the course of this journey and you've dispensed it in such an easy to understand methodical way that I think I'd have to try to screw it up.

I'll check with @moostashio to see what he's been smoking out of the pipes he's sending along so I can have an idea what (if any) ghosting may be present. He did mention that his offerings will have been deep cleaned so I doubt that my novice pallet would pick anything up even if it were present. I will however keep all of this advice in my back pocket for any future estate pipes I pick up. I have been eyeing many of the ones offered on Smokingpipes.com ...mostly just to look at pipes as I'm holding off on buying at the moment (which is becoming more and more difficult with the building anticipation). Before investing in anything too pricey I think I'll spend some time learning on the PIF'd pipes and perhaps a Missouri Meerschaum Cob (I found them on Amazon for $10 but haven't pulled the trigger yet).

I do have a tamper on the way as well as some pipe cleaners and a cork knocker for my ashtray at home. I'm fortunate to have a shop where I can enjoy smoking inside. As I've said, I'll post more once I get started.

I've also been watching a rather eccentric smoker on YouTube called Muttonchop Piper. At the suggestion of one of his subscribers he detailed a pipe smoking method he called the "Breathe" method. He described it as keeping the bit closed around your lips while breathing in and out through the nose several times followed by "massaging" the smoke in and out through the stem very lightly before exhaling out the mouth. He mentioned that this method offers exceptional flavor enjoyment of your chosen bacco, easy temperature control, keeps the pipe lit and prevents tongue bite. As I perused the comments section I found that every comment supported the method, and many were from smokers who said they had smoked a pipe for years and had never had such excellent and enjoyable smokes until they employed the method. Do any of you use this method or have any thoughts on it? Given the uproar this method caused on his channel (based on the number of positive commentors) I believe this method might warrants its own thread but I figure what the heck, I can hijack my own thread if I want. Please, let me know what you gentlemen think about it. Also, thank you all for the help you have already provided.

I passed on desert this evening (too much holiday richness this past week), so saw your entry on my pad as I am puffing right now.

Everyone smokes in different ways. And a large part of taste is breathing, air exchange and smell. There are smokers out there that smoke pipes and cigars no differently than a cigarette: full inhale. That’s also the least healthy way, and I frankly don’t know how they can pull it off. God bless ‘em. But most pipers and cigarists are mouth smokers. I’d like to think that’s why the ‘64 report was so kind to us pipers.

Years ago, I used to use my nose much more. But as I’ve gotten older, my sinuses aren’t quite what they used to be, so I am more of a straight mouth smoker. I will leave a slight draw just sit on my tongue with an open mouth, letting a little air in to help the taste develop, and letting a little smoke waft up to get a sniff as the smoke soaks into those taste buds. It is 100% going on above the windpipe. At this point, it is an automatic habit, like riding a bicycle.

Keep a nice beverage nearby to occasionally clear the palate, and you can enjoy the flavor anew, again and again, just like a wine drinker does with a good entree. Or compliment it with a matching flavor. A cup of morning coffee with a cob is what makes many an old time piper smile.

I understand what you are describing, however. The only advice I can give you is to try the gentleman’s video method, and see if it works for you.

Any good technique should focus primarily on slow, even and gentle draws, and then holding it long enough to really savor the taste. That is ‘sipping‘ it. Strong, sharp, long draws encourages bite, and the loss of good flavor. Any blend will bite if you smoke it too hard. Sometimes, it’s also nice just to take a longer pause, and savor a prolonged aftertaste across not just your tongue, but drawing from your entire mouth. I don’t want to get too graphic about it. But ultimately, it is a taste experience, sometimes with a little Vitamin N mixed in. If the bowl goes out, or you take a short break, no worries. That is why they sell matches in boxes.

I see that the very kind donor smoked Lane 1Q in his pipes. That is a decent grade tobacco store aromatic that is a nice step up from the usual OTC aromatics (except perhaps one below, IMO). It is a golden cavendish - Virginia blend, and a nice one with a vanilla flavor. It is also one that is not too hard to de-ghost from.

I would not be dropping any VaPers or straight English blends in it right away, however. I would start with the method I suggested, learning good technique on the simple OTCs I mentioned. It will start out much sweeter than normal because of all that vanilla still hanging around (which might be rather pleasant). But it will eventually null out. Coming off a cavendish, I might lean more towards SWR or Carter Hall, which both are a little more anise/sugar sweet than PA, which is more cocoa-ish. They are all a little nutty once you learn to sip them correctly. The key word is mild and easy. Smoke it easy, and you get a light, mild flavor. If you start to get an ashy cigarette taste, or you can’t taste more than ’hot smoke’ or feel some burn, you’re smoking it too hard. Most people that trash the burley classics don’t know how to smoke them correctly, or expect too much from them, and quickly give up. After a few bowls, you might get a little ‘burley mouth’, a slight dryness or ‘lumpy’ feeling towards the back of the throat. Take a break, you’ve had enough. But that’s the beauty of a $3 pouch. If you don’t like it, you’re only out $3.

Then once you have mastered the basics, you can start sampling some of the blend families that some of the other gentlemen have suggested, and start forming some broader taste preferences. But now you know how to drill down on taste. And now you’ll find it better.

There is nothing wrong with liking multiple blend families. While my everyday blend is a mild, lightly cased OTC burley, I also greatly enjoy better English blends and some aromatics. I usually spend more serious money on the latter two, and try to favor Boswells in particular, as I like what they stand for, and they have outstanding flavor texture. He’s a very good, honest blender. But they can get awfully expensive nowadays. Too expensive for me to justify it as an everyday. But perhaps fine for the man who only smokes a couple bowls a week.

More expensive bacco demands more attention when you’re sipping it, just like a good single malt scotch does. But just like I don’t guzzle down expensive single malts all day everyday, sometimes a quick Canadian high ball or a simple can of beer that you don’t have to pay close attention to is a good thing. Simple and refreshing, as we focus on other things we’re doing: working in the yard, watching the news, reading a book, playing with the dogs ... or writing on an internet fora. It’s still in the background, doing its mouth magic. The latter are the everyday, daily blends.

So besides all the other blends mentioned, give the donor’s preferred 1Q a try as well. You might find you like it, and stick with it. It is more of an ‘Admiral’ Black to my mouth. Most aromatic smokers like it. And it is moderately priced.

Another that I like in that class of moderate-priced aromatics that I think has a slightly more natural tobacco flavor — and is also well-blended by Lane — is Sir Walter Aromatic. Not like the regular SWR at all. This is a surprisingly good quality burley-Virginia mix with just a slight misting of a 3-liqueur topping. No cavendish, no heavy casings or toppings, and not too wet or goopy. Good flavor, the tobacco taste still shines through, and the ladies swoon for it. And it won’t ghost all that much. Don’t confuse it with Half & Half or the other burley-Virginia blends. It’s not a Boswell aromatic, but it’s a great choice at the cost. The issue with SWRA is finding a pouch that hasn’t dried out. Always try a small sample before committing to any bacco in quantity. But in a full 12oz can, SWRA is uniformly perfect once opened. If I buy it from the right vendor with a generous coupon code, I can get a can of it in the house for just above $2/oz. That’s about cheap enough to make it a regular, if not even an everyday blend. I always try to have a can of it around. It’s a nice after dinner smoke.

In fact, most tobaccos when bought fresh are a little too wet for optimum smoking, and often benefit from a little dry time. Especially aromatics.

Once you settle down into it, you may find yourself sampling all manner and sorts of artisan blends, in this tin or that. In that respect, some think this is the golden age of pipe tobaccos, with hundreds to choose from. Many are absolutely wonderful. And you should take advantage of that variety. Sample as many as you can. Besides the vendor reviews, there are some respectable tongues over at tobaccoreviews that offer sage opinions.

But the old standbys have been around for many decades and have satisfied millions of pipers for generations, and still do, for a reason. And it’s not because of just price or that they are unaware of all the others. So don’t discount them out of hand just because of price or because the grocery sells it. Many a tobacco snob makes that mistake, and it is a shame. Sometimes, a cold beer hits the spot better than that 18 year old single malt can. Besides, if all you ever drank was high end scotch, you would eventually not appreciate them as much.

But for now, just focus on how to sip that easy, mild blend and getting your good sea legs.

I’ll leave you with this last comparison, so you better understand my bigger point. The best way to discourage a brand new cigar smoker is to hand them an over-spicy, full-strength, 58 ring double corona, and make them smoke it. Sure, you can tell them it’s a $20 or $25 cigar, the pride of the family estate. But that’s little consolation when they turn green and stagger to the bathroom after struggling through 1/4 of it. There’s a good chance they’ll never touch a cigar again. You hand them a very mild 46, perhaps even a morning coffee double claro (that’s a green one for the newbies, and very popular in the 60s), not too long, and give them the pleasure and confidence of finishing the stick with a smile, and not a bellyache. They’ll work up to that big spicy log in due time. And so will you.

I’m humbled that you consider me as a mentor. But I’m just an old pipe smoker like many others here, some of whom who have probably smoked longer than I. There are gentlemen here with more pipes than a tobacco store, and perhaps 70 or 100 pounds of leaf in their cellar. To the extent I can pass along what I know, I’m happy to do so. But at the end of the day, your choices and preferences will be uniquely yours.

Happy puffs!

brandaves

Well I've gone and made a few online purchases based on the suggestions here. I went ahead and ordered 3 ounces of the Lane 1-Q. So many people recommended it that I felt I had to give it a go and 3 ounces ought to produce a darned good sample size. There were a lot of well recommended Peter Stokkebye suggestions (here and elsewhere) that I figured I'd give it a shot. I went with the Luxury Navy Flake. I choose that one because it sounded appealing and the reviews were good, I put no further thought into it. I also bought a sampling of Molto Dolce at the behest of my brother. He is a pipe smoker and that is his favorite blend. He insisted I give it a go so I am. Those were all purchased online. I do intend to follow @Columbo 's advice and try some Prince Albert, Carter Hall and Sir Walter Raleigh. In fact, his suggesting that they will demand and even teach better technique is enough for me to spend considerable time with them starting out. Those offerings are all available pretty readily and cheaply from local vendors. I think all of that is certainly more than enough to dip my toes in the waters...heck all of that will probably last me six months or more. I also broke down and ordered a Missouri Meerschaum Corn cob pipe. I wanted to have a cheap pipe that smoked well for trips to the dog park and camping. Something that I hope I won't break, but if I do I won't be in tears over it. I figure at $10 shipped that it will likely be worth every penny. I'm pretty excited to jump in and get started. Here is a copied and pasted list of what I expect to be trying (some already purchased as stated above) or at least researching further. Any amendments or suggestions welcomed as always.

Tobacco
Lane Q1 (ordered 3 ounces)
Prince Albert
Carter Hall
Sir Walter Raleigh
Borkum Riff
Orlick Golden Sliced
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (ordered 2 ounces)
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake
Peter Stokkebye 17 English Luxury
Peter Stokkebye 52 Proper English
The Country Squire
Mississippi River
Molto Dolce (ordered 1.5 ounces)
Lane – Sir Walter Aromatic

Pipes
Missouri Meerschaum Corncob (Country Gentleman Corn Cob ordered)
Morgan Bones
Dr. Grabow

Accessories
Pipe Cleaners (ordered 112 BJ Long 6” Regular)
Matches (Three stars matches, Diamond brand)
BJ Long rubber pipe bites (need to find these...I'm sure I'll have a want to bite on the stem)

Looks like you have a good plan set up 👍. Don't get frustrated if your first bowl isn't a complete nirvana experience. It can take some practice to get the techniques down and develop a feel for the packing and smoking. Also don't feel bad if you have to re light the bowl. It happens to all pipe smokers and is in no way a bad thing. There will be blends you don't like and stuff that just doesn't agree with you for some reason or another. Don't feel bad and don't force yourself to smoke it if you don't enjoy it. You can jar it and revisit it later if you like to see if your tastes change. But also don't feel bad about passing it along or tossing it if it was a cheap pouch.

Its all about enjoying the experience and flavors. Have fun!

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Well I've gone and made a few online purchases based on the suggestions here. I went ahead and ordered 3 ounces of the Lane 1-Q. So many people recommended it that I felt I had to give it a go and 3 ounces ought to produce a darned good sample size. There were a lot of well recommended Peter Stokkebye suggestions (here and elsewhere) that I figured I'd give it a shot. I went with the Luxury Navy Flake. I choose that one because it sounded appealing and the reviews were good, I put no further thought into it. I also bought a sampling of Molto Dolce at the behest of my brother. He is a pipe smoker and that is his favorite blend. He insisted I give it a go so I am. Those were all purchased online. I do intend to follow @Columbo 's advice and try some Prince Albert, Carter Hall and Sir Walter Raleigh. In fact, his suggesting that they will demand and even teach better technique is enough for me to spend considerable time with them starting out. Those offerings are all available pretty readily and cheaply from local vendors. I think all of that is certainly more than enough to dip my toes in the waters...heck all of that will probably last me six months or more. I also broke down and ordered a Missouri Meerschaum Corn cob pipe. I wanted to have a cheap pipe that smoked well for trips to the dog park and camping. Something that I hope I won't break, but if I do I won't be in tears over it. I figure at $10 shipped that it will likely be worth every penny. I'm pretty excited to jump in and get started. Here is a copied and pasted list of what I expect to be trying (some already purchased as stated above) or at least researching further. Any amendments or suggestions welcomed as always.

Tobacco
Prince Albert
Carter Hall
Sir Walter Raleigh
Borkum Riff
Orlick Golden Sliced
The Country Squire
Mississippi River

Pipes
Morgan Bones
Dr. Grabow

Accessories
BJ Long rubber pipe bites (need to find these...I'm sure I'll have a want to bite on the stem)

Wow! That’s certainly not a $50 starter kit, and a lot more than I started out with. And not including the kind donor estates. You’re going to smoke like a king. Good for you!

Whether you know it or not, over half the tobaccos you selected are Lane-blended, including all the SWR, Borkum Riff and Stokkobye varieties. The 1Q is basically B&M’s biggest selling line. They also blend the Captain lines and H&H now. Lane is one of the big national blenders, now in Georgia, and besides their bulk lines for tobacco shops and chains, has acquired a number of historic and venerable brands. And Lane itself is now under an even bigger parent. That’s the nature of the tobacco industry.

When you drill down on where some of the artisan blenders get the base leaf for their exotic blend creations, you might be surprised. Lane has a good reputation. Perhaps not the very best leaf, but very few dogs. It has been said they just never learned how to make truly bad tobacco.

Most of what you picked is some balance of burley and Virginias. These are the Ford and Chevy of commercial domestic tobacco production (even though we grow some other outstanding varieties, these are the Big Two). Even a cavendish is just a heavily cased version of one of those two (most of the time a VA).

So when you sample, you will be noticing the leaf. But more often with these, you will be noticing the various casings and toppings of the blends.

The leaf is one thing. But the precise casing and topping formulae of the various brands are about the most closely-guarded trade secrets in that industry. Some are around or over 100 years old, some are no longer in production. So as you move along, you may encounter bulk ‘alternatives’ to the classics and/or now defunct brands. And they’ll be close, but never exact. Edgeworth and a couple others come to mind. Keep that in mind as people name-drop all their favorites, as they may be talking about something that you can’t quite exactly obtain anymore.

Note that the kind donor gentleman has sent you reamed estates. That means they need to be re-caked and should be handled like a new briar. And depending on remaining wall thickness, probably handled with even slightly more care than a new briar. My only guidance is to be a little careful to not overheat the chambers too early. Perhaps start with a couple half bowls on those, and lay off the hottest aromatics early on.

You picked a good starting variety. Soon enough, you’ll start to peg the differences between tobacco flavor and casing and topping flavors, and then form a preference as to what balance between those two you like. Just a tip. All tobacco is cased (no one smokes raw tobacco). Not all tobacco is topped. Topping is what pushes a blend’s aromatic qualities.

Save the Orlick and English for last. The Orlick is a very mild VaPer. By the time you get to those, you should know what basic tobacco tastes like, so you can gauge the leaf differences even more clearly. That will be an interesting gear change coming off of 1Q!

Have fun and take your time.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Tobacco
Prince Albert
Carter Hall
Sir Walter Raleigh
Borkum Riff
Orlick Golden Sliced
The Country Squire
Mississippi River

Pipes
Morgan Bones
Dr. Grabow

Accessories

Looks like you're all set. The only thing left is trial and error to find out what works for you.

A little something that you might like to peruse through from time to time. There's quite a bit in the pipe tobacco section but the cigar section is HUGE!

Note that the kind donor gentleman has sent you reamed estates. That means they need to be re-caked and should be handled like a new briar. And depending on remaining wall thickness, probably handled with even slightly more care than a new briar.
This is good advice. However, I didn't ream them down to the wood. There's still plenty of cake left in these bowls. Certainly best to start out with half-bowls though, couldn't hurt.

brandaves

Looks like you have a good plan set up 👍. Don't get frustrated if your first bowl isn't a complete nirvana experience. It can take some practice to get the techniques down and develop a feel for the packing and smoking. Also don't feel bad if you have to re light the bowl. It happens to all pipe smokers and is in no way a bad thing. There will be blends you don't like and stuff that just doesn't agree with you for some reason or another. Don't feel bad and don't force yourself to smoke it if you don't enjoy it. You can jar it and revisit it later if you like to see if your tastes change. But also don't feel bad about passing it along or tossing it if it was a cheap pouch.

Its all about enjoying the experience and flavors. Have fun!
I know pipes are a process and I journey. I don't expect I'll be Gandolf on my first bowl. Thanks to my research I won't be bummed out over a relight, I'll just grab another match and get it done.

My next investment will be some pint jars to store stuff in. It's good advice to cellar some stuff if it isn't my cup of tea out of the gate. I know my pallet will develop and mature as I make my way through this hobby. I'm looking forward to that journey as much as anything.
Wow! That’s certainly not a $50 starter kit, and a lot more than I started out with. And not including the kind donor estates. You’re going to smoke like a king. Good for you!

Whether you know it or not, over half the tobaccos you selected are Lane-blended, including all the SWR, Borkum Riff and Stokkobye varieties. The 1Q is basically B&M’s biggest selling line. They also blend the Captain lines and H&H now. Lane is one of the big national blenders, now in Georgia, and besides their bulk lines for tobacco shops and chains, has acquired a number of historic and venerable brands. And Lane itself is now under an even bigger parent. That’s the nature of the tobacco industry.

When you drill down on where some of the artisan blenders get the base leaf for their exotic blend creations, you might be surprised. Lane has a good reputation. Perhaps not the very best leaf, but very few dogs. It has been said they just never learned how to make truly bad tobacco.

Most of what you picked is some balance of burley and Virginias. These are the Ford and Chevy of commercial domestic tobacco production (even though we grow some other outstanding varieties, these are the Big Two). Even a cavendish is just a heavily cased version of one of those two (most of the time a VA).

So when you sample, you will be noticing the leaf. But more often with these, you will be noticing the various casings and toppings of the blends.

The leaf is one thing. But the precise casing and topping formulae of the various brands are about the most closely-guarded trade secrets in that industry. Some are around or over 100 years old, some are no longer in production. So as you move along, you may encounter bulk ‘alternatives’ to the classics and/or now defunct brands. And they’ll be close, but never exact. Edgeworth and a couple others come to mind. Keep that in mind as people name-drop all their favorites, as they may be talking about something that you can’t quite exactly obtain anymore.

Note that the kind donor gentleman has sent you reamed estates. That means they need to be re-caked and should be handled like a new briar. And depending on remaining wall thickness, probably handled with even slightly more care than a new briar. My only guidance is to be a little careful to not overheat the chambers too early. Perhaps start with a couple half bowls on those, and lay off the hottest aromatics early on.

You picked a good starting variety. Soon enough, you’ll start to peg the differences between tobacco flavor and casing and topping flavors, and then form a preference as to what balance between those two you like. Just a tip. All tobacco is cased (no one smokes raw tobacco). Not all tobacco is topped. Topping is what pushes a blend’s aromatic qualities.

Save the Orlick and English for last. The Orlick is a very mild VaPer. By the time you get to those, you should know what basic tobacco tastes like, so you can gauge the leaf differences even more clearly. That will be an interesting gear change coming off of 1Q!

Have fun and take your time.
I hope you don't think I have already purchased everything on that list! It sounds as though that might have been your impression...I'm certainly not that well off, but I do think I have a rather nice start going.

I will heed your advice on beginning with half bowls on the pipes until they are nicely broken in.
Looks like you're all set. The only thing left is trial and error to find out what works for you.

A little something that you might like to peruse through from time to time. There's quite a bit in the pipe tobacco section but the cigar section is HUGE!

Thank you for the information, I'll be spending some considerable time researching and soaking up as much as I can for a very long time. I have no illusions about how much there is to understand and learn about this hobby. The information gained here has been a great start.
This is good advice. However, I didn't ream them down to the wood. There's still plenty of cake left in these bowls. Certainly best to start out with half-bowls though, couldn't hurt.
I will do that. I'm excited to get them. I think my cob will arrive first so at least I'll have a few bowls under my belt before I smoke from them.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I know pipes are a process and I journey. I don't expect I'll be Gandolf on my first bowl. Thanks to my research I won't be bummed out over a relight, I'll just grab another match and get it done.

My next investment will be some pint jars to store stuff in. It's good advice to cellar some stuff if it isn't my cup of tea out of the gate. I know my pallet will develop and mature as I make my way through this hobby. I'm looking forward to that journey as much as anything.

I hope you don't think I have already purchased everything on that list! It sounds as though that might have been your impression...I'm certainly not that well off, but I do think I have a rather nice start going.

I will heed your advice on beginning with half bowls on the pipes until they are nicely broken in.

Thank you for the information, I'll be spending some considerable time researching and soaking up as much as I can for a very long time. I have no illusions about how much there is to understand and learn about this hobby. The information gained here has been a great start.

I will do that. I'm excited to get them. I think my cob will arrive first so at least I'll have a few bowls under my belt before I smoke from them.

Just in case you’re unsure what “too hot” is once you start with your new pipes, here’s an everyman’s gauge:

If it’s too hot to comfortably hold the pipe in your hand, it is almost definitely too hot.

If it gently warms your finger joints on a cool winter morning, you’re in the right zone.

Obviously, if you have asbestos fingers, then you have to adjust for your own sensitivities. But for the average Joe, the above is a good rough guide.

A new or insufficiently caked chamber will run slightly hotter than a fully caked one for a time. That is why a cooler burning blend is better in these situations, as you build one up.

Generally speaking, more heavily cased and/or topped blends tend to burn a little hotter than more simple blends. But that is a very rough guide, and there are exceptions. For me, the coolest burning pipe tobacco out there is PA (so much so they used to advertise it in degrees).

Most new briars today come with a chamber coating to speed along break in. As you noticed, extra care should be taken with new uncoated chambers, and those reamed down to the stock. Also take note of your chamber shape and wall thickness. A big heavy walled pot can usually tolerate a little more abuse than a delicate small billiard with a tiny rim can.

I am speaking only of briars; cobs and other bowl materials and shapes are a different kettle of fish.

Your kind donor is a real guardian angel, and gave you the perfect compromise by leaving a little cake on his estates.

The idea of half bowls is not just to limit overheats. It also helps more evenly build cake in the lower chamber. If you smoke a lot of hot-burning heavy aromatics fully loaded, you can wind up with a disproportionate cake in the upper chamber over time.

Practice with a cob first. The absolute worst you can do is ruin a $5 pipe. No biggie.

brandaves

Just in case you’re unsure what “too hot” is once you start with your new pipes, here’s an everyman’s gauge:

If it’s too hot to comfortably hold the pipe in your hand, it is almost definitely too hot.

If it gently warms your finger joints on a cool winter morning, you’re in the right zone.

Obviously, if you have asbestos fingers, then you have to adjust for your own sensitivities. But for the average Joe, the above is a good rough guide.

A new or insufficiently caked chamber will run slightly hotter than a fully caked one for a time. That is why a cooler burning blend is better in these situations, as you build one up.

Generally speaking, more heavily cased and/or topped blends tend to burn a little hotter than more simple blends. But that is a very rough guide, and there are exceptions. For me, the coolest burning pipe tobacco out there is PA (so much so they used to advertise it in degrees).

Most new briars today come with a chamber coating to speed along break in. As you noticed, extra care should be taken with new uncoated chambers, and those reamed down to the stock. Also take note of your chamber shape and wall thickness. A big heavy walled pot can usually tolerate a little more abuse than a delicate small billiard with a tiny rim can.

I am speaking only of briars; cobs and other bowl materials and shapes are a different kettle of fish.

Your kind donor is a real guardian angel, and gave you the perfect compromise by leaving a little cake on his estates.

The idea of half bowls is not just to limit overheats. It also helps more evenly build cake in the lower chamber. If you smoke a lot of hot-burning heavy aromatics fully loaded, you can wind up with a disproportionate cake in the upper chamber over time.

Practice with a cob first. The absolute worst you can do is ruin a $5 pipe. No biggie.
The Missouri Meerschaum I ordered is due to arrive this evening, although I won't get the opportunity to use it until tomorrow evening as I'm on duty this evening. I think I'll heed your previous advice and begin with either PA, Carter Hall or SWR. I'll also be half bowling it for a bit until it builds a bit of cake. Should I expect something different or do anything different with a cob? In other words do you treat cobs, briar and Meerschaums differently?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The Missouri Meerschaum I ordered is due to arrive this evening, although I won't get the opportunity to use it until tomorrow evening as I'm on duty this evening. I think I'll heed your previous advice and begin with either PA, Carter Hall or SWR. I'll also be half bowling it for a bit until it builds a bit of cake. Should I expect something different or do anything different with a cob? In other words do you treat cobs, briar and Meerschaums differently?

I don’t feel there is a need to break in a cob pipe, though some people cut out the shank that extend into the bowl. If you smoke down far enough you will taste the burning wood.

Cobs are pretty forgiving.

Yes a little bit different maintenance. Meerschaum do not let a cake build at all. It doesn't need it to insulate as meerschaum doesn't burn. Cobs are very forgiving. Don't get them wet or super hot and they will keep on smoking. Briar uses the cake to insult the wood. Helps prevent burnout and can provide better smoke. But it takes time to build a nice even and strong cake.

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I don’t feel there is a need to break in a cob pipe, though some people cut out the shank that extend into the bowl. If you smoke down far enough you will taste the burning wood.

Cobs are pretty forgiving.

I’ll second this. I’ve smoked plenty of cobs over the past few years. There really isn’t a need to build cake either. Cobs tend to do better without it. After every smoke and after some time to cool, I’ll do a good cleaning of my cobs with some spirits (vodka for me) and a tightly rolled sheet of paper towel. The stem (bit) gets cleaned with a pipe cleaner, both wet and dry, along with the shank. I’ve never had an issue and always had pleasant smokes. Hope this helps some.

R/
Dave

Last edited:

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

Don’t worry about the cob. You can practically take a blow torch to a cob.

I’ve only seen one knucklehead at a picnic ever kill a cob. Because of practically using one to light it.

Just practice your packing and puffing on that one. You won’t ruin it, I promise.

My comments above were principally directed to those estate briars you’re getting.

Last edited:

brandaves

Roger on all, thank you gentlemen for the feedback...It's nice to know that as long as I handle general care considerations on my part that my cob will be a good learning pipe. It sounds like they are hands down the best deal in piping at $10. I'm glad I made the investment. I'll be sure to get my feet beneath me with it prior to picking up the Briar pipes sent by Moostashio. You should expect some photos tomorrow evening as I will be opening some goodies and getting a smoke under my belt with my new cob. I'll be going out in the early afternoon and buying some tobacco...one of the "codger cabin" blends Columbo described (SWR, PA or Carter Hall).

brandaves

Here we go...I have a very nice start laying in front of me. I unfortunately don't have time to have a bowl at the moment but I will later this evening. Here is what I have.

Pipes: Two from @moostashio that to my novice eyes look awesome! I'm very excited to give them a shot. That being said, I'm going to heed the advice of @Columbo and start off with my Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentlemen.

Tobacco: I purchased Carter Hall, Prince Albert, SWR, SWR aromatic and Captain Black Gold (I think the Carter Hall may be my first bowl)

Moostashio sent me some Lane 1-Q, McClelland No. 400 Creme Caramel and Sutliff Black and Gold Cavendish

Accessories: I purchased Three Star matches, Pipe shaped tool/tamper and ashtray cork knockers.

Moostashio sent me a Czech tool, a full bag of BJ Long pipe cleaners an awesome reusable tobacco bag (filled with Lane 1-Q).

I cannot thank Moostashio enough. His PIF was amazingly generous and I will get many years of service from his pipes not to mention the extras. Thank you again my friend!

20200106_170414.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Here we go...I have a very nice start laying in front of me. I unfortunately don't have time to have a bowl at the moment but I will later this evening. Here is what I have.

Pipes: Two from @moostashio that to my novice eyes look awesome! I'm very excited to give them a shot. That being said, I'm going to heed the advice of @Columbo and start off with my Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentlemen.

Tobacco: I purchased Carter Hall, Prince Albert, SWR, SWR aromatic and Captain Black Gold (I think the Carter Hall may be my first bowl)

Moostashio sent me some Lane 1-Q, McClelland No. 400 Creme Caramel and Sutliff Black and Gold Cavendish

Accessories: I purchased Three Star matches, Pipe shaped tool/tamper and ashtray cork knockers.

Moostashio sent me a Czech tool, a full bag of BJ Long pipe cleaners an awesome reusable tobacco bag (filled with Lane 1-Q).

I cannot thank Moostashio enough. His PIF was amazingly generous and I will get many years of service from his pipes not to mention the extras. Thank you again my friend!

View attachment 1050310

Looks like you are off to an excellent start. Part of the fun is getting more accessories, trying new tobaccos, and buying new pipes...more new pipes...and more new pipes.

Estate pipes on Smokingpipes will eat your money. :biggrin1:

View attachment 1050310
You are most welcome. Enjoy!

brandaves

First smoke...

20200107_002011.jpg

Prince Albert in a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentlemen and a pour of Colonel E. H. Taylor Small Batch.

My smoke lasted in the neighborhood of 45 minutes or so. I tried my best to employ the breathe method (I did okay I think, but certainly not mastered). The big thing for me was trying to keep things slow and really make an effort to taste the tobacco. I found the Prince Albert to be very nostalgic for me. It made me think of my Great Grandfather. He didn't smoke a pipe, but cheap cigars...the nostalgia was there nonetheless.

I had a LOT of relights. Not a big deal, I expected it. I placed all my used matches in my ash tray so I can tell you precisely how many. 13 including my char light. As I said it was a lot, but I wasn't concerned with it.

Overall my smoke was good, although I think the Prince Albert would be a better smoke for me paired with a cup of coffee in the morning or as an evening nightcap. It was a mid day smoke for me (I'm on night shift) which wasn't bad, just not as good as it could have been. As an introduction, PA wasn't quite what I expected honestly. I guess my impression of pipe tobacco is probably over influenced by the aromatic varieties. I will likely have three bowls over the course of my evening tonight, I think my next will be the Lane 1-Q from Moostashio but I'll nightcap with either SWR or another bowl of PA. We'll see. I'm sort of making things up as I go while attempting to heed the advice gleaned from all of you here.

Top Bottom