What's new

New to pipe/cigar smoking

just acquired within the past couple weeks. The two pouches of tobacco cost more then the pipes.
full
I don't think I've ever tried Borkum Riff. The Captain Black is good stuff. And I have one of those MM hardwoods, but usually forget to pick it up when I have the briars. Unfair of me!

You've received a lot of good advice, but here's the deal, the joy of pipe smoking may not be readily apparent when you first begin trying it out. It takes awhile to get all the parts working together, at least in my experience. Loading the pipe, packing it not too tight, not too loose. Lighting the pipe without scorching the tobacco or the pipe rim. Getting the cadence down, over puffing can cause all sorts of problems not the least of which is a tender tongue. Not freaking out when you have to relight, it is rare to smoke a bowl from start to finish without relighting a few times; we all do it. Learning the utility of gentle tamping. Speaking of finishing, don't think you have to smoke to a white ash every time, you will learn when it's time to dump the pipe. It is a journey. And then, searching out the elusive perfect tobacco; you'll never smoke them all, so take your time and learn your way through the myriad of blends. Pipes: don't get in too big a hurry to accumulate pipes, that will come soon enough. Most of all, have fun with it, ask lots of questions, and don't worry if it doesn't meet your expectations right away, that too will come. Welcome to the forum!

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
You've received a lot of good advice, but here's the deal, the joy of pipe smoking may not be readily apparent when you first begin trying it out. It takes awhile to get all the parts working together, at least in my experience. Loading the pipe, packing it not too tight, not too loose. Lighting the pipe without scorching the tobacco or the pipe rim. Getting the cadence down, over puffing can cause all sorts of problems not the least of which is a tender tongue. Not freaking out when you have to relight, it is rare to smoke a bowl from start to finish without relighting a few times; we all do it. Learning the utility of gentle tamping. Speaking of finishing, don't think you have to smoke to a white ash every time, you will learn when it's time to dump the pipe. It is a journey. And then, searching out the elusive perfect tobacco; you'll never smoke them all, so take your time and learn your way through the myriad of blends. Pipes: don't get in too big a hurry to accumulate pipes, that will come soon enough. Most of all, have fun with it, ask lots of questions, and don't worry if it doesn't meet your expectations right away, that too will come. Welcome to the forum!

Spot on.

I owned 4 pipes and smoked them from the early 1980's to the mid 1997's.Since I didn't smoke them daily they tobacco burnt always more on the roof of my mouth than in the pipe.Eventually I gave up and thats how I got into cigars,slowly but surely.

@Cweed1992, if you have a B&M store around you, go there. Like everyone else, I'll recommend a cob as your first pipe. If I'm late to the party and you already have a pipe, I'll recommend getting another cob. If that's not an option for whatever reason, there are briars closer to the budget end like Ropp or a basket pipe.

When I first started smoking a pipe and everyone was tripping over themselves recommending cobs. At first I was wondering if they were a smokers version of training wheels. Is a pipe I can pick up for under $15 even with the B&M surcharge really going to be any good? It wasn't until after I had a few cobs and briars that I realized pushing cobs because of price ("if you decide you don't like it you're only out a couple bucks") was the wrong way to sell it. Now that's true, they are criminally underpriced for what they do. But their attributes go way beyond that. The reason I'll recommend a cob as the first pipe is because they really reward good behavior rather than punish bad behavior. And that wide open draw is a wonderful thing.

For tobacco, there's a reason everyone here is recommending the codger blends. They're like a cob, very forgiving of mistakes. But really, my suggestion would be going to that same B&M and getting 2 ounces of the three tobaccos you think smell the best. Something burley based if it's an option. If you don't have a B&M and you're looking online, get ounce or two samples of whatever looks good to you. As you develop your tastes you'll start learning how to ask for recommendations. Sutliff has several matches for older codger blends that have gone out of production. I'd suggest one of those in your order. Enjoy your journey!

@Cweed1992, if you have a B&M store around you, go there. Like everyone else, I'll recommend a cob as your first pipe. If I'm late to the party and you already have a pipe, I'll recommend getting another cob. If that's not an option for whatever reason, there are briars closer to the budget end like Ropp or a basket pipe.

When I first started smoking a pipe and everyone was tripping over themselves recommending cobs. At first I was wondering if they were a smokers version of training wheels. Is a pipe I can pick up for under $15 even with the B&M surcharge really going to be any good? It wasn't until after I had a few cobs and briars that I realized pushing cobs because of price ("if you decide you don't like it you're only out a couple bucks") was the wrong way to sell it. Now that's true, they are criminally underpriced for what they do. But their attributes go way beyond that. The reason I'll recommend a cob as the first pipe is because they really reward good behavior rather than punish bad behavior. And that wide open draw is a wonderful thing.

For tobacco, there's a reason everyone here is recommending the codger blends. They're like a cob, very forgiving of mistakes. But really, my suggestion would be going to that same B&M and getting 2 ounces of the three tobaccos you think smell the best. Something burley based if it's an option. If you don't have a B&M and you're looking online, get ounce or two samples of whatever looks good to you. As you develop your tastes you'll start learning how to ask for recommendations. Sutliff has several matches for older codger blends that have gone out of production. I'd suggest one of those in your order. Enjoy your journey!
Welcome back!

Did I miss something here gentlemen. I did not see any cigar recommendations. Permit me to assist. If you are in the States, see if you can find any of the Curvari’s or try Oliva (series O or G). Stay away from anything you can buy at the gas station. Now if you live somewhere where you can buy Cuban then the Cohiba Maduro #5. That and the Oliva V torpedo are probably my favorites. Should we now talk scotches??

Top Bottom