What's new

New to pipe/cigar smoking

Thinking of getting into pipe smoking what would be a good beginner pipe that’s not to expensive but would give a good experience? Or a good cigar brand

Corn Cob and a Codger Blend - tons of people will chime in - just wait a moment.

Learning curve with cigars is flat and easy the pipe will take a bit. I like full bodied Nicaraguans. I would start short and thick = Robusto.

Edit: if you are not used to nicotine it will be like having 2-3 beers quick so choose your spot and have some food or sweets around should you start having the sweats :thumbsup:

I've yet to try a cob, so I can't comment on that. An inexpensive briar from Smokingpipes like a Ropp would be a good bet. As for tobacco, Sir Walter Raleigh Regular is hard to beat; their Aromatic is also good; and there are Granger and Carter Hall. These are all known here as "codger" blends, as in, "The old codgers used to smoke them back in the day." And they are not expensive either.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
As far as pipe tobacco choices go, will you be smoking around others or mostly by yourself?

Thinking of getting into pipe smoking what would be a good beginner pipe that’s not to expensive but would give a good experience? Or a good cigar brand
I looked, and there are a lot of Brigham brand briars (alliteration, how I love thee. . .) on Smokingpipes for under $50. Of course the cobs are mostly under $20. I'm probably going to grab myself one soon.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I looked, and there are a lot of Brigham brand briars (alliteration, how I love thee. . .) on Smokingpipes for under $50. Of course the cobs are mostly under $20. I'm probably going to grab myself one soon.
I'm not a cob fan, but I have three or so that are just great knock around pipes.
Very light and easy to clench, and if I drop it while out in the yard or driveway it's not a big deal.

I was asking this question about 3 months ago. I received the same advice you’ve been given and listened. Bought a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman and a pouch of Sir Walter Releigh regular.

Now I have 5 pipes and about 25 tins (and growing). Start small and grow. It’s been a fun journey so far.

Thank you for all the information honestly never been much of a smoker tried cigarettes did not like it one bit but I figure cigars and pipe smoking is entirely different than cigarettes

Thank you for all the information honestly never been much of a smoker tried cigarettes did not like it one bit but I figure cigars and pipe smoking is entirely different than cigarettes
Piping certainly is, and from what I understand cigar smoking is also unlike the use of the white sticks; you don't inhale that smoke either. Pipe smoking is more about relaxation, reflection, and the journey of learning about it all, than it is about a quick hit of stimulant. It also is a throwback to a much earlier and more pleasant time. And the pipes are good-looking things, like carved miniature furniture. If you buy a couple of briars and don't get into the hobby, the pipes make great decorations on the mantelpiece!

I really like Mr. Brog as an inexpensive pipe (many around $20-25 dollars). Much sturdier than a corn cob, and for me at least, most if not all take a 9mm charcoal filter, which I always use.

As far as tobacco, I think Captain Black Gold is good an easily accessible... should be no nicotine effect with that one. Plenty of others out there as well, but Mr. Brog and Capt. Black to me would be a good start.

When I started pipe smoking the codger blends were available at Walgreens, along with a huge assortment of Dr Grabow pipes. I started with Borkum Riff and Captain Black and Mixture No. 79. Eventually discovered a tobacconist near me and got turned onto English blends.

In my original pipe-smoking period, a trip to Tinder Box in the local mall happened, oh, about once a month for me to try something new, or maybe buy a new pipe. Now that's gone. There's a tobacconist/cigar lounge not far from that mall. Somehow I don't get there now but once in 5 months. And they don't have the codger blends at all. (The two facts may be related.)

just acquired within the past couple weeks. The two pouches of tobacco cost more then the pipes.
full

Top Bottom