What's new

New-to-me Esterbrook J

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
A few initial thoughts on this very fine green celluloid writing instrument that arrived in my mailbox yesterday thanks to a B&B brother who responded my WTB ad in the BST.
4F1EA0B5-9495-4929-8838-63998EEB967A.jpeg

It is, of course, an Esterbrook J “double jewel” fountain pen. It came with a 2668 medium nib and an extra 9668 medium nib, for a very reasonable additional charge. I won’t go into the whole history of the J and the Esterbrook’s ReNew Point nib system, but both are fascinating.
49500728-A215-4FDD-AB5E-4ECCBFEC895E.jpeg

I swapped in the 9668 for no other reason than I wanted to and I like the green collar and inked ‘er up with Monteverde Horizon Blue (the only bottle I currently have). I am just thrilled by how smoothly it writes. The steel nib is quite on par with the Pilot, Kaweco, and Goulet nibs I’ve previously used. The line width is perfect for me. With the cap posted, the pen is nicely balanced and sits perfectly in my hand. I really like this pen.
03E16159-4272-495E-BF88-68B6C262BA50.jpeg

It’s no wonder that these pens are so popular. I think they are a tremendous value, even at the prices restored models are going for, usually $30-60 depending on condition and the restorer. But seriously, I don’t see modern celluloid pens going for less than three figures, especially a self-filler. I have to chuckle that in the J’s heyday, celluloid and level-fill we’re old tech and kept the pens cheap. But 70 years on, those are quite valuable features. I might also add that many pens from for the 40’s and 50’s have very exaggerated aerodynamic shapes that were all the rage back then, but I think polarizing (to put it charitably) nowawdays. The J, on the other hand, has a timelessly classic shape. When I think of a pen, I think of one that looks like a J. And the steel nibs are so good, the new “Esterbrook” sells an adapter for their modern pen bodies (one wonders why they didn’t design them for the ReNew nibs in the first place).

3D194B2D-A47B-48A6-BF80-3F7DC81D788E.jpeg

So here’s a little EDC pic to wrap things up. I rather like how the Esty matches my green Seiko. And there you have it, my first (but probably not my last) Esterbrook pen. I realize that I’m pretty late to the Esterbrook party, and the fountain pen party in general. I would sure love to hear from you Esterbrook old-timers - your favorite pens, favorite nibs, maintenance tips, all that jazz. Cheers!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Esterbrooks were my first fountain pens, I remember I had a black J in 4th or 5th grade, I'd take it apart and tinker with it before I got a skinnier LJ in green. At some point I got a Sheaffer and the double jewel pens went in the "junk drawer" because of a horribly scratchy 1550 nib and the gold FeatherTouch on the Sheaffer was great.

Fast forward to the 1990s and I found some more Esties at a flea market and went back to raid my mom's house and found my old pens, learned how to resac (sacs were tough to find before the internet), and started buying more and more pens. Joined a local fountain pen club, the PPPC, and pretty soon I had accumulated hundreds. Esterbrooks remained a favorite for their robustness, removable nib units, and the variety of colors. If you're thinking about dipping your toes into vintage pens I can't think of a better start.

I don't use them much so I traded and sold off many, even some here on the BST and kept some favorites and dollar pens. Here are some in a repair pile:
full

Man, that is a great looking pen. Don't feel bad, I don't have one of these at all. But I will now have to look out for one. LOL!! :)

Love my Estie's! Even though they don't always get used as much as they should. My first was a green J with a 9550 nib. Since then I have acquired six others. A black LJ, red SJ, blue transitional J, as well as gray, black, copper J's. Nibs include the 9450, 9550(2), 2464, 1551, 1555 Gregg and Venus Fine. Even have a spare or two.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The J types are nice pens. When I ink one I generally choose an SJ. The Dollar Pens are also quite attractive. The 9668 is a good nib, but my favorite of the ones I have is a 9788.

Because I have quite a few pens, the Esterbrooks get used less often than perhaps they ought. I do use a couple of their mechanical pencils, which are a good match for the pens. And I have one Esterbrook Dip-Less desk set in use.

The modern Esterbrook brand, whatever you think of the pens on their own merits, has no connection with the old company apart from acquiring the legal right to use the name.

I've been away for a long time, then I look and see my beloved Esterbrooks! Great pens. Easy to use, easy to re-sac or swap nibs. Value for the $$ then and today too. I have about 20 "normal" pens picked up over the years when they were $5 or less in the thrift / antique shops. I had a desk pen model on my desk (duh) for four years of high school and I still have half a dozen. Now I mostly give them away to people new to FPs. I'll have to get a couple of pics to post. Till then, I didn't see this link anyplace, could have missed it, to the Alladin's cave of all esterbrook knowledge.
Esterbrook.net - Your source for Esterbrook on the net!

Thanks for bringing back the memories

Jeff

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I've been away for a long time, then I look and see my beloved Esterbrooks! Great pens. Easy to use, easy to re-sac or swap nibs. Value for the $$ then and today too. I have about 20 "normal" pens picked up over the years when they were $5 or less in the thrift / antique shops. I had a desk pen model on my desk (duh) for four years of high school and I still have half a dozen. Now I mostly give them away to people new to FPs. I'll have to get a couple of pics to post. Till then, I didn't see this link anyplace, could have missed it, to the Alladin's cave of all esterbrook knowledge.
Esterbrook.net - Your source for Esterbrook on the net!

Thanks for bringing back the memories

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. We’ll put! I did find that website and learned a lot.

I have to get one now for sure! I looked on the 'bay and they are definitely not cheap. I am such a noob with the vintage fountain pens.

I'm a little embarrassed to show my stash, as I have not been respecting them like I should. I just pushed the crap away and took a pic. The desk pens are on top of the plastic box. Ones in back are often called "hockey pucks". The lower profile are the model 444, which have ink right in the base. Extremely convenient if you work at a desk. To the left of the six black lever fillers are three Osmiroid nib units which also screw right into any Esterbrook. Surgery on the back may be needed. Next to the gray pens are two of the very late cartridge pens. They really feel cheap. Then eight extra nib units and finally two empty esterbrook cartridges which I could fill. Best of all, any Estie nib fits into all Estie pens. The desk pens are still pretty common and reasonably priced.... always offer less.

stash 2.jpg

Top Bottom