What's new

New to Hones

Just done a repair on the box so the lid is all one.

20170703_220251.jpg

I can understand why the lid was removed from that Thuri as received. At 1" x 5", it works well hand-held. I have one that arrived to me with the lid hinge intact, albeit a bit loose, and I removed the lid exactly the same way as originally shown, since the lid caused a balance problem extending beyond the outstretched palm.

On the bench, the balance won't be a problem, but with small or narrow stones like this, a hand-held approach may be preferable. Whatever works for you of course. Give it a shot on the bench, and if this doesn't turn out, then try it hand-held removing the lid.

Last edited:
I can understand why the lid was removed from that Thuri as received. At 1" x 5", it works well hand-held. I have one that arrived to me with the lid hinge intact, albeit a bit loose, and I removed the lid exactly the same way as originally shown, since the lid caused a balance problem extending beyond the outstretched palm.

On the bench, the balance won't be a problem, but with small or narrow stones like this, a hand-held approach may be preferable. Whatever works for you of course. Give it a shot on the bench, and if this doesn't turn out, then try it hand-held removing the lid.

Yes I can see why now but I'm going to remove the pins in the hinge and make a quick release, so I'm able to just unclip it as I don't want the hone to get damaged if it came open.

But I bought a new hone this week and it came today well happy with it, it's a Ozaki Asagi Japanese natural sharpening stone and boy does it look nice in person.

20170711_175306.jpg

Yes I can see why now but I'm going to remove the pins in the hinge and make a quick release, so I'm able to just unclip it as I don't want the hone to get damaged if it came open.

But I bought a new hone this week and it came today well happy with it, it's a Ozaki Asagi Japanese natural sharpening stone and boy does it look nice in person.

View attachment 803458

That's a nice looking stone.

Top Bottom