What's new

New To Fountain Pens

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
A note about inks. Not all inks work well in all pens. I was having trouble with a F-C leaking a little. I was talking to them at a pen show and they told me the the ink I was using had too much lubricant to work well in their pens. Sure enough, I switched inks and the problem went away.
It depends how the nib is tuned. However, in general European pens are tuned to be wetter and European inks are drier, while Japanese pens are drier, but Japanese inks are wet. Good idea to use an ink recommended by the maker.

And the more she writes with it, the more she will come to enjoy it. In time, she will decide to branch out and buy more pens. Or not—she may be perfectly happy with what she has. It’s truly her decision to make.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Sure is nice to see some familiar faces here for advice on fountain pens, as I just bought my first one since grade school.
20220820_165149[1].jpg
I was at Hobby Lobby with my daughter and this was pretty much all they had, but it has given me a feel for it again, and I want to upgrade already with some of these suggestions!

~doug~

Sure is nice to see some familiar faces here for advice on fountain pens, as I just bought my first one since grade school.
View attachment 1509223
I was at Hobby Lobby with my daughter and this was pretty much all they had, but it has given me a feel for it again, and I want to upgrade already with some of these suggestions!

~doug~
Interesting find. I wonder if you could fit any of the name brand converters in there so you can order a bottle of ink? 🤔
I assume the nib is pretty flexible since it is for calligraphy?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Interesting find. I wonder if you could fit any of the name brand converters in there so you can order a bottle of ink? 🤔
I assume the nib is pretty flexible since it is for calligraphy?
They did have a variety of cartridges in multiple colors for this pen. I think they were around $6 for 10 cartridges.
It's more likely rigid, and not designed to flex. The stub grind, and 1.1 point, will provide plenty of line variation without pressure.
I don't have another fountain pen to compare it with, pressure does widen the line considerably, but doesn't seem necessary. It is much smoother than any ballpoint pens I have and very easy to use. I will be looking at something in .5mm for my next pen.

~doug~

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
It will, in the short term. Then it will spring the nib and it won't write properly. Very, very, few nibs are designed to be flexed. That isn't one of them.
That's good to know. I only used enough pressure to widen the line to the width of the nib, it certainly doesn't need much.

~doug~

Top Bottom