What's new

New to forum and SR

hey guys thanks for the add to this great group, been reading up on some things and seeing how to start about this process.....as any other hobby I’ve learned that buy once and be good for a while and than when comfortable move into collecting or increasing inventory...... as with any other hobby this comes with vast opinions and options, so let me start by telling a little about my thoughts and myself...

I’m a 31 year old with a slow growth beard, usually use my 5 blade razor 2 times a week when I get too scruffy and based on time in week... Always have been interested in the straight razor as it gives a person pride and a regiment. As I am looking for a more refined and self pride to give myself a nice shave and time to myself as it becomes a meditation as I read with pre-shave /shaving /after-shave care. I am willing to learn a do realize it is a drawn out act of learning between shaving honing stropping care and so forth, I would like a push in the right direction. I also have a safety razor as I have read in the beginning it is good to have for touch up and hard to get places so one doesn’t cut or get frustrated in hard to get spots.

As I have done some research, I would like the following attributes in my razor as I feel will be good for a beginner, if I am wrong please do tell. I am a person with smaller hands so I have read bigger blades are harder to handle and control.

5/8 or 6/8
Quarter to half hallow
Round point
Straight spine
And no real opinion on scale. Would like something a little exotic for look but can always move up on next blade after I get my foot in the door

Also wondering if it pays to get two razors as I have read you can have both honed and when one needs to be honed again use other one as it’s out for service also using two blades I’m assuming extends the life of the blades as you are switching between the two from each shave if wanted to do or rotate them.

So thanks for reading and hoping to see some great info back to help me on my new journey

Two razors are a good idea. Since you won't really know what you like without trying different things, I would recommend that the razors are different sizes, or different grinds, or both. They don't need to be expensive. The BST here is a good place to watch for razors that have a better chance of being 'shave ready'.

Buy- Sell- Trade

I shave around every 72 hours with straights, and they seem to work well that way with a little bit of shaggy beard growth. I would suggest one shave-ready 5/8 full-hollow razor for starters as they are pretty ubiquitous, and a cheap strop as you risk to cut it in starting out. Main problems in the beginning for me were razor-handling ergonomics, blade angle and pressure of the stroke, and perhaps most importantly, stropping. Bad stropping can ruin a good edge from the get-go. If you razor as received is truly shave-ready, then you should use it one time before stropping it to see how the edge really feels. The rest is practice, practice, practice...

+1 on getting 2 or more
you may end up in a rabbit hole collecting razors, honing tools, soaps, brushes, oils, balms, alum block......
don't ask me how i know

I agree with Alum of Potash. I wouldn't go for a half-hollow and certainly not a quarter-hollow from the get-go. I agree with round point and a smaller blade (5/8 would be my recommendation). Most inexpensive vintage razors are full hollows, and round points are less common. A sharp point can be muted by running it down the mirror a few times.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Agree with the above. 5/8 full hollow and round point if available. It isn’t all that hard to learn. The first thirty or so shaves can be a bit tricky but by that time you are on your way. Good idea to start with the “poor man’s strop” from whippeddog.com. You will need to strop between shaves. It is the greatest way to shave.

2 razors is best. You could shave with then both a couple times but I recommend you shave with "one razor" until you get to know it and it starts to get dull. Depending on how many times you shave a week, this could be a month or more. Newbies are hard on a razors edge. Plus when the one you are using feels like it might be pulling or not cutting well, you have the other one with a good edge to compare with and to send out the bad one for honing. Still having a great edge to use in the mean time.

5/8 to 6/8 is a good starting place. Round tip or Square tip is a personal choice. Yes a round might save ya a couple nicks in learning, but a square tip can be blunted easy or just go for it. You might get a nick from it but you will learn to be careful that way.

The grind in my opinion is best at full hollow to start with. But this is another personal choice. Remember that hollow grinds were made later on in the history of straight razors. And it was because folks to shave easier and hone them easier. I'd just stay away from a wedge.

A312109F-52A6-4D9D-86F1-BFB0D5726DA4.jpeg
A318463F-7B1B-446C-9B74-1D8657C98FBB.jpeg

Hey guys sorry for being MIA between work, holidays and lots of research I pulled the trigger on some products

Went with RazoRock soap and aftershave (Dead Sea)
Whipped dog strop kit
Purchased a simple bowl and badger hair brush kit
And I purchased two vintage razors from eBay
- 5/8 half hollow Jackson
-11/16 half hollow Geneva cutlery Corp Speciala

So I finally mustard up the courage to attempt my first shave( or partial shave). Reading and watching I’ve seen start slow and simple, cheek passes for first few shaves. So I soaked my brush, showered, exfoliated and pre soaped up. Getting out I drained my brush and put some Dead Sea soap on my brush and got a nice lather going in my bowl and lathered up the face up. I got a nice base going and than placed a little more on top. So now it’s time for the first pull of the blade. Did nice small strokes down the cheek and than another next to it. So on and so Forth till my cheeks were done and than I said hmm let me try some of my neck and see what’s hard and easy to do. Overall I got my cheeks, most of my jaw line and neck, hardest part was the Adam’s apple and didn’t want to push my luck. So I lathered up and touched up with my DE. Over all very happy and excited for this adventure, still with questions tho. After my shave hit the razor on the strop and put away.

So do most people switch hands for diff sides of the face? Or use their dominant hand for everything( I know some spots are hard to get with the wrong angles and hand being used)

I kept it simple and really just did a WTG shave, do you move on to other passes the more comfortable your get with the razor? Do you have to do multiple passes.? Or is that for the closest shave possible??

Also how do you store your blade?? I wiped it down stropped it and wiped again and placed away in my cabinet, anything special to store till next shave? I know oil it every once in a while just want to make sure I keep up on it

i'm new also
i'm trying to teach left hand.... but pretty much all strong/right hand its a work in progress
i have 2 genco's looking for genvea cutlery and more genco they are good razors!!!
did you get razors honed before?

Came honed and shave ready super sharp, and yes I need to see if I can do left handed and train myself to use that hand

I'm a couple of years in and have only ever used my right hand. So I'm ok if there are two of us. I think exploring more passes and areas is up to you. You will learn the muscle memory and build technique only by doing it. In hot months sometimes I just do two with the grain passes. So early on you cold try that. The super smooth shave comes with time. You can shave close but pay with irritated skin early on. Good luck.

I'm fairly new to SRs, but can achieve a SAS, or CCS with one pass. I need a second to sometimes achieve a DFS. I haven't gotten a BBS yet. I use my dominate hand for the majority of my shave, and my off hand for places where it is awkward for the other hand.

View attachment 937330 View attachment 937331

Hey guys sorry for being MIA between work, holidays and lots of research I pulled the trigger on some products

Went with RazoRock soap and aftershave (Dead Sea)
Whipped dog strop kit
Purchased a simple bowl and badger hair brush kit
And I purchased two vintage razors from eBay
- 5/8 half hollow Jackson
-11/16 half hollow Geneva cutlery Corp Speciala

So I finally mustard up the courage to attempt my first shave( or partial shave). Reading and watching I’ve seen start slow and simple, cheek passes for first few shaves. So I soaked my brush, showered, exfoliated and pre soaped up. Getting out I drained my brush and put some Dead Sea soap on my brush and got a nice lather going in my bowl and lathered up the face up. I got a nice base going and than placed a little more on top. So now it’s time for the first pull of the blade. Did nice small strokes down the cheek and than another next to it. So on and so Forth till my cheeks were done and than I said hmm let me try some of my neck and see what’s hard and easy to do. Overall I got my cheeks, most of my jaw line and neck, hardest part was the Adam’s apple and didn’t want to push my luck. So I lathered up and touched up with my DE. Over all very happy and excited for this adventure, still with questions tho. After my shave hit the razor on the strop and put away.

So do most people switch hands for diff sides of the face? Or use their dominant hand for everything( I know some spots are hard to get with the wrong angles and hand being used)

I kept it simple and really just did a WTG shave, do you move on to other passes the more comfortable your get with the razor? Do you have to do multiple passes.? Or is that for the closest shave possible??

Also how do you store your blade?? I wiped it down stropped it and wiped again and placed away in my cabinet, anything special to store till next shave? I know oil it every once in a while just want to make sure I keep up on it

I use both hands. It is really just developing muscle memory as we do with honing and stropping. Go slow and intentional.

You are smart to keep it a simple wtg shave. After three months I am doing an atg on the sides. I've been doing atg on my neck since I started. There is some tugging on the face atg, but I just keep the blade flat so no harm can result. Multiple passes are not necessary, but I've found it better than trying to reduce the beard with only one try and I think it is safer as well.

I bought a plastic case with drawers at Walmart lining with synthetic polishing cloths. If I remember it was $9 for the case. I the case and razors in dry area near the propane hot water tank.

Welcome and hello from another new wet/SR shaver. Nice razors! I use both of my hands. When I started to research and look further into SR shaving and not just fantasize about it it seemed like a good idea and was recommended to use both, but the more I read and see people post up, it like most things, seems to be up to each individual. I look forward to reading more of your journey. Happy shaves!

Top Bottom