What's new

New to DE Shaving

Hello Shavers my name is Andrew. Originally from the UK but I have been living in Antalya Turkey since 2002. I have just moved over to DE shaving after years of cartridge shaving. Being a newbie I am always looking for advice. I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89LBL, I have tried a few blades. The ones that work for me so far are the Perma Sharp and the 7 o'clock Yellows. I have just bought some Astra SP Greens and of course living in Turkey I bought a few packs of Derby blades. Premium, Usta (master) and Extra. I use Arko soap with an Omega boar and I have just bought a Yaqi Tuxedo 26 in marble red.Take care and stay safe.

Welcome, sounds like you are nicely equipped.

drag-2.jpg

Welcome aboard. I started with the same razor and used it exclusively for about 5 years. I also have the same brush and it’s really great. I’d recommend using the same razor until your technique gets better. The EJ89 is a good razor and your skills will improve quick if you keep using it. Definitely try some different blades to discover what you like. But don’t be afraid to revisit them in 6 months or a year, you may be surprised. Enjoy all the great soaps you really can’t go wrong with any that these fine compatriots recommend. Enjoy your journey and take shaving from a boring task to an amazing adventure!

Hello Shavers my name is Andrew. Originally from the UK but I have been living in Antalya Turkey since 2002. I have just moved over to DE shaving after years of cartridge shaving. Being a newbie I am always looking for advice. I bought an Edwin Jagger DE89LBL, I have tried a few blades. The ones that work for me so far are the Perma Sharp and the 7 o'clock Yellows. I have just bought some Astra SP Greens and of course living in Turkey I bought a few packs of Derby blades. Premium, Usta (master) and Extra. I use Arko soap with an Omega boar and I have just bought a Yaqi Tuxedo 26 in marble red.Take care and stay safe.

Welcome, Andrew!

You Tube has lots of helpful tutorials you can learn some tips from (or see what works for you as folks have different methods sometimes). I know geofatboy, mantic59, and Michael Freedberg should still have plenty of videos available, and it's certainly not limited to those three.

There are tutorials on this forum as well, but I know YT videos personally helped me.

Welcome! I just got a DE89 myself, as well as the 3 Derby blades. Haven't tried the Arko because I am a Tabac man through and through. I may end up getting the Arko just to see how it is. How is your technique developing?

Welcome! I just got a DE89 myself, as well as the 3 Derby blades. Haven't tried the Arko because I am a Tabac man through and through. I may end up getting the Arko just to see how it is. How is your technique developing?
Getting there. Not so many nicks and razor burn. Thank you.

Hello. Excellent blade choices. Post your results.
Just has my first try of an Astra SP Green and all I can say is WOW. I had to check to make sure I had put the blade in my DE89. It just cut through my whiskers as if they weren't there. I will be using these blades in the future.

Top Bottom