What's new

New to DE Shaving

Oh, if you're loading for MINUTES, then something else is the problem. As much as I like Maggards stuff in general, I don't find their soaps to be my favorite. They are totally serviceable, though, and you should be able to make a functional lather out of it.
Do you face lather or bowl?
Everybody finds their own "best way" but I'll share how I do it, just as one point of reference. (I also regularly use a Maggard synthetic brush, so I am familiar with them.) I face-lather.
I shower before shaving 99% of the time. I leave my face damp when I get out of the shower.
If I'm using my synthetic brush, I don't soak it while I'm in the shower, I simply run hot water over it for 20-30 seconds prior to making my lather.
Shake brush once or twice to get rid of excess water in the bristles.
Swirl brush on soap until tips of bristles start getting "pasty". I find this takes me 20-30 seconds, typically. I don't time it, count swirls of brush, or anything of that sort. Look at what's happening and adjust as needed.
Quickly pass tip of brush under running water (not looking to add a bunch of water, here, just getting the tips a little damp).
Start swirling and/or "painting" motion on face to build lather. If it seems too sticky or dry, then quickly pass brush under running water again. Repeat as needed.
Work lather on face until it is no longer translucent, and no "big" bubbles are evident. The sheen on the lather will be shiny. At this point, if I were describing whipped cream, I guess it will have just barely reached "soft peaks".

If you are finding that you can see through the lather, or it's drying up and flaking off of your skin, or anything else, your water-to product ratio is not correct. If you just can't seem to get it sorted out, it is a common recommendation to try using bottled/distilled water to eliminate your water as the problem.

As for the razor, I personally wonder if people get too hung up on finding an angle as recommended by somebody else on the internet that's using altogether different equipment. Seems counter-productive.
My two cents: Put the razor on your skin so that it's on its cap. Handle pointing straight away from your face. Rotate it down until the blade just starts to engage the hair when you take a stroke. "riding the cap" is the phrase for this. Depending on the razor being used, this may not be the optimum angle even if it does technically work. Some razors may require that you lower the handle even more. Do a little experimenting. If you find that all you're doing is removing lather, but not hair, then you're not engaging the blade enough, drop the handle a bit closer to your skin. If you're tearing yourself up and drawing blood, back it off. Remember not to press the razor to the skin, let the weight of the razor do the work.

The shave wiki has pictures and better explanations of all of this.

I got another crazy idea.... what about just using can hoop (barbosol) for a shave? I KNOW I can get a good shave with that as I have done so with a cartridge, so the only variable would
Be the razor and my technique. My issue is I have too many variables right now and I don't know which one to tackle first.

I'm new to DE shaving as well so I'm still going through my learning stages. What I found works for me with the lather is mixing it in a bowl for a bit, then wetting my fingers and adding a few drops in the bowl to slowly work it up. I'm just trying to find what works for me right now. Also since I am new, I only do two passes, North to South. Just trying to focus on angle of the razor, and what hairs I don't get with the first pass, I make sure to get on my second pass.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I got another crazy idea.... what about just using can hoop (barbosol) for a shave? I KNOW I can get a good shave with that as I have done so with a cartridge, so the only variable would
Be the razor and my technique. My issue is I have too many variables right now and I don't know which one to tackle first.

That's a good idea to limit your variables so you can identify what needs improving. Have you tried the proraso yet? It's the soap I started on and is cheap and good for practicing on. Also, I love my Stirling soaps, they are the best and slickest soaps imo. Carolinamud's given some good advice here, bowl lathering is good for controlling the lather when you're trying to learn how to build a good lather. Load the brush well and slowly add water, take your time and enjoy the soap scent. I would recommend bowl lathering and doing multiple WTG passes North to South. Dont worry about getting that BBS shave right now just keep practicing shaving with light pressure and getting your angle right.

Maybe it is my angle though. When you say 30 degrees, is it 30 degrees from PERPENDICULAR to the face, or 30 degrees from PARALLEL to the face (talking about the handle).
The angle should relate to the business end i.e. blade to skin angle. Too many videos get it wrong and many on forums also are not clear. The angle also varies depending on the razor design so 30 degrees is a guide.

With regards to the lather, it should have a sheen on it as a guide to correct consistency. So start with a dryer mix and work into stubble, dipping the tips of the brush in water to bring up to the correct consistency.

That's a good idea to limit your variables so you can identify what needs improving. Have you tried the proraso yet? It's the soap I started on and is cheap and good for practicing on. Also, I love my Stirling soaps, they are the best and slickest soaps imo. Carolinamud's given some good advice here, bowl lathering is good for controlling the lather when you're trying to learn how to build a good lather. Load the brush well and slowly add water, take your time and enjoy the soap scent. I would recommend bowl lathering and doing multiple WTG passes North to South. Dont worry about getting that BBS shave right now just keep practicing shaving with light pressure and getting your angle right.

Just ordered a tub of proraso and a nice ceramic lather bowl last night off of amazon. I'll have it for my Sunday shave. I will try this before I try the canned barbosol.

Welcome to B&B! I too am a relative newcomer, and had a bit of a rough start with inadequate hydration and feather blades (!). I have not once cut myself since, and every day feels like a spa on my face! Before long you may surprise yourself and feel the call of the straight razor....

#UPDATE#

Just got my proraso green tub. Using a Gillette 7 O'clock blade (second shave on it). The proraso green, in my opinion, is a far better lather then the maggards (orange menthol, london barborshop or lavender which I have tried). It was sooo easy to load, so easy to get a very rich lather, was very slick and thick, and it felt AMAZING going on and rinsing off with cool water. The menthol, to me at least, is very strong. It really cools your face down.

Now onto the blade: I really like these blades, seem to be better than the Astra although this may be my technique improving (angle, pressure, and lather).

Anyways I just wanted to say thank you for the suggestion of the proraso. I really really really like it.

Hello all!

I am a new DE shaver. Previously used cartridge razors (a bunch of different brands, but last one was 'Henry's'). I am not sure why I made the switch, but I did. I bought a maggards starter kit (V3 closed comb head), maggard synth brush, and maggard soap (orange menthol). I have a blade sampler (25 blades). I also got a bunch of sample soaps.

First impression - First shave...lets just say I got some irritation. I used the ASTRA platinum blade. I think my soap was actually a little dry, and I am not sure if my skin loves the orange menthol. I DID NOT shower beforehand which also may have been a mistake. Also, I am pretty sure my pressure was too high, and I tried 3 passes (dumb). I did another shave the following night, and still had a bit of irritation even though i went slower. The following day I did not shave, but I practiced a lather (with a london barbershop soap sample) and put it to my face. I think my face likes this scent better than the orange menthol.

Fast forward to this morning. I took my time and made the london barbershop lather before I hopped in the shower (I even through a little lather on my face to let it get used to it). After I got out I lathered with the brush (from the bowl) and even scooped some extra with my hand and put it on my face. This was a little more familiar coming from shaving from a can. So I really focused on NO PRESSURE, and was amazed and how much better the shave felt from the start. It gave me a little more confidence, which in turn allowed me to keep the pressure OFF and focus better on angle. I did only 2 passes, with a minor touch up in a few spots after the second pass. The result? Excellent shave, as close as I would get from a double pass with a catridge razor. Zero irritation. But what was slightly different is my face felt AWESOME. Hard to describe, but my face feels very clean today.

I was pretty bummed after the first two shaves, but now I am completely stoked! I am going to go back and try the orange menthol soap again to see if that was what was causing me issues perhaps.
Congratulations. I think your move from cartridges to a DE is a wise one.

#UPDATE#

Just got my proraso green tub. Using a Gillette 7 O'clock blade (second shave on it). The proraso green, in my opinion, is a far better lather then the maggards (orange menthol, london barborshop or lavender which I have tried). It was sooo easy to load, so easy to get a very rich lather, was very slick and thick, and it felt AMAZING going on and rinsing off with cool water. The menthol, to me at least, is very strong. It really cools your face down.

Now onto the blade: I really like these blades, seem to be better than the Astra although this may be my technique improving (angle, pressure, and lather).

Anyways I just wanted to say thank you for the suggestion of the proraso. I really really really like it.

That's awesome! Glad to hear you're seeing improvements! I'd advise sticking to that formula now for at least a month so you can work on honing your technique.
For blades I started on a 100 pack of Derbys and thought they were great at the time (although I didn't have anything to compare them to other than the Gillette cartridges I had used from all the years of cartridge shaving abuse :a6:). stick with the 7 o locks for a while then once you have developed your technique a bit more you can try different blades (you'll have to try the feathers they are wickedly sharp!)

And yea, the prorazo soaps are excellent. I have all 3 and use them regularly in my rotation. They all lather up equally well imo. The menthol has a refreshing kick and I find myself reaching for it a lot during summer. The red is my fouvorite scent and white is a gentle scent and is my travel soap.

Welcome to B&B and congratulations on your early success. I am a fan of the 7 o'clocks, and really like Gillette blades in general. As to the cream, go with what works. I think you'll find the Barbasol lovers here at B&B plus a lot of other great products recommended, as well.

Top Bottom