What's new

New to DE shaving

Hello all, I've been shaving for years with a cartridge razor, mostly Gillette but I gave Harry's razor a brief try.

About a week ago I bought a Lord L6 and Van Der Hagen's luxury soap kit.

I have yet to get a comfortable shave, I've cut myself several times, and even when I don't I still end up with some stinging afterwards, I suspect that the Lord L6 might be too aggressive for me, looking at this page http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Blade_Gap it looks like the Lord L6 has a rather large blade gap.

I'd be interested in a turn to open razor if possible, but it looks like there are few choices out there, Parker seems to be the main one but I've seen several bad reviews.

The other problem I seem to have is that I kept reading not to put pressure on the razor, let the weight of the razor do the work, but how is that possible when shaving upwards or sideways on my neck.

Hello and welcome,

The Lord L6 is in my very novice opinion aggressive but I found when I got the blade angle squared away it made for a nice shave. Very cheap and light but I liked the long handle. There's a blade angle post someone made that has some pictures and was very helpful for me. I'd do a site search for "Blade Angle - some help for newbies" if this link fails: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...e-some-help-for-newbies?highlight=blade+angle

I've been using a DE for several years but pretty much put up with shaves that had some irritation and nicks (not many). This helped a lot for me and has even allowed for a 2nd pass which I never did before. I use a non-alcohol based after shave as well. I would describe my skin as very sensitive and problematic.

Not sure what you mean by turn razor, adjustable? I purchased a Gillette Super Adjustable online and have started using it over the past two weeks or so. So far so good but I'm still learning. I purchased a long handled one that weighs a bit more than the Lord L6 and so far enjoy it.

What blade are you using? Have you changed it? I don't mean to ask silly questions but I would get 6 good shaves with a cartridge razor (Mach 3) but only get 3 good shaves with the blade I use in my DE razor. So I change my blade twice a week usually Mondays and Thursdays.

Lather is critical, takes a while to get a good lather with the soap and brush depending on what you have. I used to have a boar bristle brush for a long time then bought a badger hair brush recently, I was stunned by the difference. Felt bad that I didn't get my oldest son a new badger brush as well (Christmas?!).

I looked long at the Parker but heard to many bad things, that's why I went with the vintage Gillette but you may find the Parker is just fine.

As for ATG, XTG shaves, I'm only starting to learn so I won't have much advice. However I've found that if I pay close attention to the blade and angles it seems that you won't apply pressure but still get a good 2nd pass in that fashion.

Good luck, I found there was tons of info here and quietly lurked to learn how to shave better. :)

-Stephen

Thanks for the response. The problem might have been my blade getting dulled. I was using the lord blade that came with the razor I got five shaves out of it I actually changed blades today anyways tomorrow I'll be able to test out the new blade.

By turn to open I was referring to a single piece razor also known as a butterfly razor. They seem to be a lot simpler to change the blade on then a three piece like the lord.

I found the blade that came with the Lord L6 to be poor compared to the others I've tried. I quickly removed it and went with the brand I usually use. I use Blue Bird's but have tried many others. I'd get a sampler pack if you aren't sure of what blade to use or try.

Regarding 3 piece vs. TTO, I have used both and really didn't find either to be more difficult vs. the other. I was concerned about the butterfly not holding the blade tight but apparently at least with the Gillette Super Adjustable which is TTO that is not an issue. I likely was worrying about nothing.

Good luck with the new blade.
-Stephen

I also had a rough time with the blade that came with my L6. I tried a few other brands and found that the bluebirds worked well with my razor/face. I am going to stick with them until I can really hone in my technique. Then perhaps I will look at a sampler pack.

Hello and welcome to B&B. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here.

You've already gotten some great tips and advice.

How aggressive/mild are the razorock or Parker 96r? Thank you all for the advice. Using a blue bird blade got rid of the stinging feeling. And I did change my grip, I think it makes it easier to not apply too much pressure. I'm also paying more attention to angle. So far three good shaves in a row. Not the closest but they are comfortable. Today I introduced an atg pass on my cheeks but not my neck. I can tell I need more practice before trying atg on my neck. Thank you all again.

How aggressive/mild are the razorock or Parker 96r? Thank you all for the advice. Using a blue bird blade got rid of the stinging feeling. And I did change my grip, I think it makes it easier to not apply too much pressure. I'm also paying more attention to angle. So far three good shaves in a row. Not the closest but they are comfortable. Today I introduced an atg pass on my cheeks but not my neck. I can tell I need more practice before trying atg on my neck. Thank you all again.

They are somewhat mid range mild, but a Feather blade can add some substantial aggressiveness to it.

Top Bottom