What's new

New to DE shaving - very impressed

I am new to the DE shaving thing. I saw a YouTube ad for Henson DE razors and thought I'd give DE shaving a try. I was a bit more modest in my initial investment and bought a Van Der Hagen TTO for about $15 USD.

My initial result was that I got a little bit of irritation but that is probably due to poor technique. I have learned so far that the Dorco ST-300 blades and the Shave Secret oil really works very well for me. My monetary investment has been very modest and I am very happy with my results so far.

What I used previously, which worked pretty well, was the Schick Hydro 5, but what I didn't like was the approx. $2.40 USD price tag for each cartridge, and I felt like I could never clean between the blades well enough. (I will still use the Schick if I am traveling and take only carry-ons, though, as flight restrictions won't allow DE blades in carry-ons.)

Regarding the Shave Secret: I don't think I would recommend it for a multi-blade cartridge razor because it seems like it would be hard(er) to clean the excess oil and whiskers between the blades. It works really well for me with the DE TTO razor because I can open the top, remove the blade, wipe off the excess oil and whiskers, put the blade back in, and carry on.

Previously shaving was more of a chore and a nuisance, but now I actually enjoy it because the shave is so close and irritation free.

StewB

Welcome to the forum. When I used a DE I found the Dorco ST 300 blades were adequate, not the worst by any means. If they work for you, great. Blades are very much a personal thing, what I prefer might not work for you and vice versa.

As your technique improves, so will your shaves.

Welcome to the forum. When I used a DE I found the Dorco ST 300 blades were adequate, not the worst by any means. If they work for you, great. Blades are very much a personal thing, what I prefer might not work for you and vice versa.

As your technique improves, so will your shaves.

Thanks! After I use all of these blades I may try something else. As I can see there are hundreds of different recommendations. I have been very pleased so far, but that doesn't mean things can't get even better!

StewB

Welcome to B&B. May I suggest the Newbie Blade PIF?
I would also recommend the Henson threads, but I think you will be opening your wallet sooner than later!

Welcome aboard. Thats awesome you found a "baseline" setup already that works and you are enjoying the shave. Plus it sounds like you are still actually saving money. Wow.

Welcome aboard. Thats awesome you found a "baseline" setup already that works and you are enjoying the shave. Plus it sounds like you are still actually saving money. Wow.
Saving money is one of the objectives, for sure. It seems I can get very good performance for very little cost!

Reactions: cf1
If you like Dorco blades, try the STP-301 aka Prime Platinum. Those are the nicest ones they make. Very reasonably priced, too.

1644726860132.png

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Welcome to B&B. Head over to the Hall of Fame and tell us a little about yourself.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia and thanks for checking in with us and sharing your experience with us.

Top Bottom