What's new

New to DE shaving. Just went all in.

Hey everyone. I've been lurking here for a while. Been toying with the idea of switching to DE shaving for quite some time and I finally decided to give it a shot. I just ordered a bunch of stuff. I was hoping for a little input on the items I ordered. Maybe a little advice on anything I missed. I can't wait to give this a try. I've got a fairly light/patchy beard and my line of work doesn't demand that I shave regularly but I like keep clean shaven. My problem is that I have somewhat sensitive skin and the disposables I've been using are just more irritating than I can take anymore. Anyway, here's what I have on the way...

-Gillette Tech DE Safety Razor (fat handle and triangular cutouts per *bay description)
-shaving bowl
-razor/brush stand
-Omega boar shaving brush
-2 pucks of Ogallala shaving soap
-one bottle of Captains Choice Bay Rum aftershave
-sample pack of razor blades
-Bloc Osma alum block

I'm hoping this will be enough to get me started. I'd love to hear any thoughts on the stuff I decided to go with. Anything else I should have on hand?

Hey everyone. I've been lurking here for a while. Been toying with the idea of switching to DE shaving for quite some time and I finally decided to give it a shot. I just ordered a bunch of stuff. I was hoping for a little input on the items I ordered. Maybe a little advice on anything I missed. I can't wait to give this a try. I've got a fairly light/patchy beard and my line of work doesn't demand that I shave regularly but I like keep clean shaven. My problem is that I have somewhat sensitive skin and the disposables I've been using are just more irritating than I can take anymore. Anyway, here's what I have on the way...

-Gillette Tech DE Safety Razor (fat handle and triangular cutouts per *bay description)
-shaving bowl
-razor/brush stand
-Omega boar shaving brush
-2 pucks of Ogallala shaving soap
-one bottle of Captains Choice Bay Rum aftershave
-sample pack of razor blades
-Bloc Osma alum block

I'm hoping this will be enough to get me started. I'd love to hear any thoughts on the stuff I decided to go with. Anything else I should have on hand?

Hi Clown: Welcome to B&B. We are glad that you are with us. It sounds like you are off to a great start. Keep us posted.

WARHAWK

Welcome to our world. You have a great start. Of course, that will all too soon change as you acquire more and more soaps, creams, blades, balms, aftershaves. Oh, did I mention razors:biggrin1:. Enjoy!

You've got some great stuff to start out with. Once you start getting into it and trying various things you'll figure out what you like and dislike. Thats all personal preference. I think you'll find that ANYTHING you start with will be superior to how you were shaving previously though. Enjoy!

Welcome aboard. I haven't been here long but have already learned a lot from all the nice folks on B&B. Be forewarned, what seems like "a bunch of stuff" now, will seem like nothing after a while if you hang out here too much. Your new friends will corrupt you.:thumbup1: And, you'll probably enjoy it.

Good to meet you clown!

Congrats, seems to me you have a pretty solid kit started! ...for now...

Just wait till the Acquisition Disorders kick in ;-)

If you have any questions or problems all the friendly people here have answers!

Shave in good health!

Thanks for all the replies. I am also crazy about knives and cigars and I'm fully aware of the enabling nature of friendly forums :) I hope to be spending some more time here and learning a bit more to help me strive toward the perfect shave (is there such a thing?) :)

Hi Clown, a hearty New Year's welcome to the site.

Your selection of shave goods will stand you in good stead. Remember, 'Technique' (what you do) is more important than 'Stuff' (what you use).

Face prep is very important, so view the YouTube vids on creating a lather, and spend a small bit of effort and soap to practice making a few test lathers when starting out. Always use a blade that is in its prime; when a blade becomes 'raspy' and tugs a little bit, swap out the blade for a fresh one. Mind the blade angle, and use short, deliberate, unhurried strokes with a very light touch.

You'll become an 'old hand' at this wet shaving stuff in short order. Wet shaving is easily learned and well worth the modest effort, so keep at it. The result is a learned skill that will provide a lifetime of great shaves.

Post a bit from time to time to let us know how you're doing.

-- John Gehman

John,

Thank you for the advice. I will take it to heart. I'll check back in after my first try and let you know how it went.

Welcome to B&B John! I was just like you in that I made the conversion to DE shaving after lurking around B&B for a while. That is a nice starter set you acquired especially the Gillette Tech Fat Handle razor. I have that same razor and it's often the one I reach for because of how well it shaves! What kind of blades are you using? For some good visual pointers about DE shaving, check out the videos on YouTube from Mantic59 & GeoFatboy......they will help out tremendously!

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B John! I was just like you in that I made the conversion to DE shaving after lurking around B&B for a while. That is a nice starter set you acquired especially the Gillette Tech Fat Handle razor. I have that same razor and it's often the one I reach for because of how well it shaves! What kind of blades are you using? For some good visual pointers about DE shaving, check out the videos on YouTube from Mantic59 & GeoFatboy......they will help out tremendously!

I'll be sure to check out the videos. Thanks!

-Eric

Top Bottom