What's new

New to DE shaving, cannot get a close shave

I am pleased to say that I have improved compared to my last shave.

These are some of the things I changed.

• Used a heavier handle Razor with a metal head. This is a Razor that I got from Amazon India. There were many user reviews stating the head was aggressive and they swapped with the head of the 7'o clock Sterling. I did the same and the result was very good
  • Took time. Being Saturday, it was the day off and I shaved for 20 minutes.
  • I did one WTG, one ATG, one XTG and another WTG, 4 passes in total
The XTG experience:

This was the first ever XTG in my entire life. I could hear plenty of feedback even after a WTG and an ATG and I couldn't just believe it. I also felt some tugging and some razor burn during the XTG. When I did an XTG in my neck area I felt very nervous and my heart rate shot up. I have never felt so nervous during a shave.

Summarizing, I was able to get a very close shave in my cheeks, above the upper lip, chin, and upper part of the neck. In the lower part of the neck, I got nervous so results are bad with residual hair.

The results are very close to the Mach 3. I am getting there and I am sure one day I will surpass the Mach 3.

Here is a picture of the razor. The cost is close to 3$. As I mentioned earlier, I want to acquire the technique before I spend more.

IMG_20170701_224243.jpg

Welcome to B&B!

First I know nothing about either razor you are using but I think I read the Sterling has the same head as the older Gillette Techs making them a mild razor(small blade gap). Nothing wrong with mild and they work great but for me I have a harder time getting a real close shave. I also prefer a heavier razor over a lighter one. Blades make a difference and everyone has there choice so all I can say is try some different ones. My top blade is the Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless. My other top blade is the Wilkinson Sword Classic. I have used Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum(actually just got done with 4 shaves on one) but they are not to my liking. It is a good blade but I prefer the Permasharp Stainless over it.

Soaps and creams, I don't get along with creams as well as I do soaps. I know soaps might be a little more difficult to come across in your country but have you tried Godrej? When I ordered blades from your country the vendor had this soap so I ordered it also. I really don't care for the scent of it and don't use it but I thought it lathered up quite easily and the performance was quite nice. I don't care for the Old Spice cream that I had also ordered as it isn't very good for me but if you like cream maybe give it a shot. I always used Gillette foam in the can and it is no where near as good as shave soap.

In one of your posts you asked about brush break in. Breaking in a brush is only a requirement of boar bristle brushes, the more they are used the softer they get. I have used a boar but don't care for it. I have and used a pure badger but it is a little scratchy so I ordered an Omega 636 Silvertip Badger and love it. A badger brush requires no breaking in. Although I have never use a synthetic like the one you have if it works it is all you need.

As for the actual shave it will take practice to achieve the right technique, the proper angle. You will get there just keep at it and it will come to you. Depending on what I am trying to achieve with my shave(how close a shave I want) I typically just do a WTG pass, and ATG pass(this type of pass took me 6 months to work into) and touch-ups on a final pass. This gets me to a close comfortable shave with very little irritation. If I am going of that close, or BBS shave, I add an XTG pass for the second and then an ATG for pass 3 and then touch-ups. I go too far with the BBS type shave and end up with more irritation than I like. I usually over shave when this happens.

Happy shaving!

Top Bottom