What's new

New to DE shaving...and I'm Hooked.

Can't tell you the number of times that I've opened the bathroom door after finishing my shave to find our cat looking up at me. 🙂
I keep a little bowl of water for Ben on the bathroom counter so he doesn't have to fight the dog for a drink. Sometimes he decides the perfect time for a drink is while I'm shaving. :biggrin1:

Well I understand about cats....there are 6 who let us live with them. LOL One in particular keeps me company on the morning shave. :)

Shopping for a nice Tech.... Partial to brass/gold color which seems to be less common.

Just scored this off Ebay for less than $40 USD including shipping
gillette_tech parts.jpg

gillette_tech side.jpg

I started by buying a Vikings Blade from Amazon and loved it. Then I bought 4 types of razors on Temu for maybe $25 total. A super cheap 3-piece for $1.25, a cheap butterfly in a case for $3.48, an adjustable Futur clone for $9.00, and a nice Weishi long-handle butterfly for about $10.00. It let me play around with various types to see what I liked and I didn't hurt my budget any. Surprisingly they all worked well enough. It gave me knowledge of various razor types, and what worked well for me. Then I began buying higher-class razors.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Welcome and best of luck with your next razor. I would recommend something affordable, but at a minimum, something that's stainless steel...something like a RazoRock Game Changer or Lupo.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Four of the large Manufactures in Canada are Italian barber(Razorock), Karve and Henson and then there is also high end Wolfman razors. All make excellent razors and also on the American side make some excellent razors also. The shipping & exchange rate is what kills buying a lot more American quality products unless they have a good sale going on.
I have some excellent Razorock razors and it depends on what you like for blade feel and design. The RR GC.84 is a tame mid range with good results and the Lupo.72 is a well made and a little easier to install and remove blades possibly + mid range with excellent results.
Blade exposure on both are barely positive (1-1.5/1000 of a inch)with the Lupo having slightly more IMO. The Lupo will give a closer shave with a standard Gillette blade but the RR GC is slightly smoother but if you want slightly more blade feel just use a Kai SS blade which is slightly wider than a standard Gillette blade(Astra SP) for more blade feel and results are similar to Lupo.72 IMO.
I have not bought the good quality Karve or Henson razors, I have a lot of other razor brands in my rotation that I enjoy, I also like my vintage razors also.

Last edited:
My first two... Steps... down the rabbit hole...
20230215_153321.jpg
20230215_153630.jpg

20230215_153308.jpg

Found the Tech in gold on EBay and while I was looking at Italian Barber because I needed a blade bank I saw the Aluminum Lupo for a good price so on the spur of the moment bought it too. Lol... Now I I have to wait for the morning to shave....

First shave with the Tech. Smooth, easy to handle, no drama. But not as close as I had been getting with the Wilkinson Sword Drug store all metal TTO... Not sure if thats because the Tech needs a third pass or not. I'm still doing two passes WTG and XTG. I can only feel stubble if I run my hands ATG. otherwise it feels smooth. I think that means its a DFS... :)

My first two... Steps... down the rabbit hole...
View attachment 1606619View attachment 1606620

View attachment 1606618
Found the Tech in gold on EBay and while I was looking at Italian Barber because I needed a blade bank I saw the Aluminum Lupo for a good price so on the spur of the moment bought it too. Lol... Now I I have to wait for the morning to shave....

That Tech is beautiful. Looks new. Nice pickup.

First shave with the Tech. Smooth, easy to handle, no drama. But not as close as I had been getting with the Wilkinson Sword Drug store all metal TTO... Not sure if thats because the Tech needs a third pass or not. I'm still doing two passes WTG and XTG. I can only feel stubble if I run my hands ATG. otherwise it feels smooth. I think that means its a DFS... :)

Yes, the Techs are mild but still capable 3-pass razors. I could stop at two passes and get a very nice SAS, but I do a typical 3-pass (WTG, XTG, ATG) for DFS+.

I'm just fine with a leisurely, 3-pass DFS.

Thanks! Its in great shape, I think it was likely NOS or very close, just few tiny scratches, and a small rub spo. I found the handle on the Tech a bit short and small. I have to try it with one of my new Ti Crown handles.

SAS ? Thats one I haven't encountered yet...

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I also think I want the blade tabs covered because I have nicked myself a couple times (ear/nose) with the tab.
I've only had this experience once, I think, but @gpjoe made some EXCELLENT points above.

I have a friend that I passed along a razor that was passed along to me from a great member here, @matwho , an open comb that I just couldn't get the hang of. My friend shaves his head and absolutely LOVES that razor. He never fails to thank me for it.

I honestly believe that for the most part, the Gillette New Long Comb is the pinnacle of the old time Gillette razors. Close, comfortable, forgiving......if I shaved my head I believe it would be a phenomenal choice. And ugly old ones are readily available on that auction site down by the 'Bay.

Welcome to Badger and Blade my friend; can't believe this is the first time I have seen this thread. You have entered the funnest way to lose money I have EVER encountered, surrounded by the most generous and gentlemanly group of enablers you will EVER meet!

Thanks! I have been eyeing the Gillette Open combs now too, since my skin and beard seems to like them better... At least at this early stage. Feel free to swing by my Journal too. see what mayhem I'm wreaking on my face each day.

Thanks! Its in great shape, I think it was likely NOS or very close, just few tiny scratches, and a small rub spo. I found the handle on the Tech a bit short and small. I have to try it with one of my new Ti Crown handles.

SAS ? Thats one I haven't encountered yet...

SAS = Socially Acceptable Shave

Clean shaven, looks good enough to go to the office (or out on the town), as long as the boss or significant other doesn't rub your cheek.

And yes, the handles are short and thin. I have two NOS nickel-plated ball-handle Techs, and two gold, but find myself preferring the pre-war Techs with the fatter handle.

Welcome To B and B! I would recommend a vintage Tech or Super Speed or a modern Parker 78R all are forgiving razors that will allow you to focus on Blade choice and technique.

Top Bottom