What's new

New to DE shaving...and I'm Hooked.

Hi all,

Long time cartridge shaver, head sometimes, face daily, in the shower for years with a bowl and brush lather.
For Christmas my stocking had a Wilkinson Sword TTO all metal Classic in it. I've been shaving with it since, used up 10 Wilkinson Sword (German) blades.
Initial shaves there was a little blood.LOL. But I'm now getting a closer shave with less skin irritation. I've realized that the hair on the sides of my neck grows backwards and thats why I was getting some irritation there. Its getting better as I do first pass WTG. I've only been doing WTG and ATG passes so far.

I also have noticed that I don't seem the get super consistent feel from the razor. For example one morning the first couple strokes felt so smooth I had to stop and check there was a blade in the razor. But after checking it wasn't as smooth. I suspect its tolerance related.

I just recently received some some sample packs of Gillette Nacette, Bic Chrome Platinum, Astra Stainless to try. Have had two shaves with the first Nacette blade and it seems less smooth on the whiskers, but I think I have less skin irritation. Shave closeness is about the same I think.

The upshot of all this is I'm thinking about upgrading my razor. I'm not sure how to proceed. So many choices/options, and I think part of the inconsistency of the tolerances on the razor/blade mounting on my cheapie. Do I go with something moderately priced and fixed, or with baseplates, or go adjustable...or????

I'm definitely in on the DE shave thing and I'm a knife guy who has actually very little hair on my hands/arms from testing the sharpness of my knives when I sharpen so blades on my skin don't scare me.

Thoughts? Guidance? I had no idea there would be sooooo many options. I'm Canadian and prefer something North American made if the cost value point makes sense.

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

I say go with a fixed gap and let your wrist and senses be the adjustment.
@Big_T gave you a great recommendation with the Canadian-made RazoRock Gamechanger.

My own recommendation would be the Gamechanger .84p or
Lupo .72
both made by RazoRock, stainless steel, great shavers... either would make you a nice upgrade or a lifetime razor.

Enjoy the journey.

Oh boy...

There is soooo much. If you ask for razor recommendations and 10 people respond, it is possible that you will get 10 different replies. I am surprised that the first two (and mine) are the same brand.

I've only been doing this for about a year, and have gotten to a point where I can get a close and comfortable shave from just about any razor that I own, with any blade, though I prefer milder razors as those require less attention when shaving.

I won't reccomend any specific razor, but I will say that you have many options. I've found that most of my vintage Gillette razors are very well mannered and are good tools for learning. I favor the Techs. You can find useable examples of the Tech (and Superspeed) for $15 on Ebay, Etsy, and in the Buy Sell Trade forum here.

As far as modern razors, I am partial to Razorock razors. They have quite a variety of machined stainless steel razors, most for around 65 bucks (and up). I bought three shortly after I began DE shaving, and kept two that I still use. The RR razors are a great value, and made in Canada.

Of course there are others: Karve razors, also made in Canada, are a bit more expensive but still very nice, quite affordable, and very popular. A machined brass Overlander can be had for $85, as I recall.

Prices rise from there with Blackland, Timeless, Charcoal Goods, Above The Tie, Wolfman...the list goes on.

Honestly, I think that technique is more important than the tool. Experience and technique are essential in success. Of course, some tools may be made from better materials, or to better tolerances, but if made correctly, most any razor will work.

One final consideration, and very important to someone just starting, is razor aggression. Generally, open comb razors are more aggressive than solid safety bars. Larger blade gaps and blade exposure are generally more aggressive. And of course there are adjustable razors that allow the user to select the aggression level by adjusting the blade gap (modern and vintage). Keep in mind though, that an experienced shaver will likely be fine with any razor.

I could go on but really, the choices are many and the decision is ultimately yours.

I have looked at the Karve Overlander, well as the Razorocks... There are so many it gets a bit overwhelming trying to sort out which, So the suggestions for the Game Changer and Lupo are helpful...I saw a Lupo DLC advertized...that seems appealing and also the SLOC.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B! Your price point might help give us an idea of where to start. As stated above, many different members will have many different suggestions. A vintage Gillette tech is always a good place to start in my opinion. Inexpensive and terrific shavers. I paid $3 for my British Aluminum Tech and it shaves as comfortably as my Timeless razors.

Other decent options are a Merkur 34c or and Edwin Jagger DE89. I realize they are not North American, but they are dependable entry level razors that suit many people well for years and years for less than $50.

Right off the bat avoid changing too many variables, it's easier to find your groove without switching things up all willy nilly.

I hope you stick around and I look forward to reading more about your journey.

Sorry price point is pretty flexible, I am happy to pay for value and quality within reason. Lets say max $250 CDN...unless someone can justify the $$$ for me :D

I'm Canadian. Welcome!
I started with the Karve. Very well made razor and has brass and copper options if you like beauty and also different plate options. C SB is a good place to start. Have fun!

I have looked at the Karve Overlander, well as the Razorocks... There are so many it gets a bit overwhelming trying to sort out which, So the suggestions for the Game Changer and Lupo are helpful...I saw a Lupo DLC advertized...that seems appealing and also the SLOC.
The Gamechanger and Overlander are both great razors if within your budget. The Overlander is brass and the GC is Stainless. The Gamechanger will give you more handle options as it uses M5 threads which are the standard on most modern razors whereas the Overlander uses 10/32 threads.

I started with a cheaper Merkur 34c HD and used that a long time while learning the ropes but I can tell you, when I first got a stainless Gamechanger in my hands... I felt like was I was holding a real razor. I don't know how to explain it and they shave as good as they look.

Right off the bat avoid changing too many variables, it's easier to find your groove without switching things up all willy nilly.
Agreed. Choose a razor and a favorite blade that works and just stick with that for a few or four... or six months. Just work on skill and technique, then later you can pick up any razor and use it with some slight adjustments.

I also think I want the blade tabs covered because I have nicked myself a couple times (ear/nose) with the tab.

Tabs are covered on the Game Changer.

Sorry price point is pretty flexible, I am happy to pay for value and quality within reason. Lets say max $250 CDN...unless someone can justify the $$$ for me :D

Didn't do the conversion to CAD, but I can get three Game Changers for under $200US, which is what I did.

I chose the .68P (.68mm gap, solid safety bar), .84P (.84mm gap, solid safety bar), and .68OC (.68mm gap, open comb).

After using them all, I sold the .84P once I realized that the .68P and .68OC were aggressive enough for me.

Edit: I forgot a critical point - with the Game Changer, you can purchase different base plates for $30 and use the same cap and handle for all. A complete razor is $55, and three additional plates (of your choice) is under $100, so you can experience four different razors for $150US total.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B and enjoy your new shaving hobby ;-)

Concerning razors. I reckon with a RR Game Changer 0.84-P you can hardly go wrong. And affordable as well. Certainly in the USA.

Welcome. As you can see from the comments thus far, you have become part of a wonderful group of folks who make it a point to be gracious and helpful. You will fit right in.

Welcome! I’m surprised nobody has suggested Henson yet, as they’re also Canadian, and about the same price point as RazoRocks. Since it’s not your first DE, you’d probably do well with either the mild or medium.

But between Henson, RazoRock, and Karve, you can do very well for yourself without even leaving Canada! All 3 have a good reputation and have their fans here.

Let us know what you go with, and how you like it. Happy shaves!

Top Bottom