What's new

New to DE and... scared!

I will respectfully disagree on this one Sir.

What about Gillette slide (aka guillotine slide) motion...?

It is exactly going sideways, while going down simultaneously. Today we have slant head DE razors to mimic this.

Obviously you need to be careful and not go sideways too much, but it's a great motion IMHO. It really helps in getting a close shave.

Some people do this even with traditional SRs, let alone DEs.

You are absolutely right, of course. However,....this move is NOT for a beginner, and the key is (as I'm sure you know) in maintaining the CORRECT (and continuous!) downward motion as one goes sideways. IF one stops going down (while moving sideways), the nick (or long cut) is the result. This is what I tried to explain in my post, but since English is not my first (not even second) language, I sometimes omit the important part of description.

You are absolutely right, of course. However,....this move is NOT for a beginner, and the key is (as I'm sure you know) in maintaining the CORRECT (and continuous!) downward motion as one goes sideways. IF one stops going down (while moving sideways), the nick (or long cut) is the result. This is what I tried to explain in my post, but since English is not my first (not even second) language, I sometimes omit the important part of description.
Indeed so Sir, you are right. Technically, that is. If you stop the downward motion, while going sideways - cut will occur. True.

That said, I don't take shaving as a whole, as some kind of artistry that takes decades to absorb and learn.

I shaved with cartridges and canned goo for 30 years, b4 switching to DE/SR and eventually SE, about 2 years ago and to be totally frank, it was a fairly easy process. As anyone, I made some beginner mistakes with the first couple of shaves, pressure mostly, but I have never had more than a small nick, let alone cut. A weeper here and there, of course, but that's about it. It was more of a journey to find a razor and soap range that really suit me, rather than "perfecting" my technique.

So, all this ramble, basically to say, that while someone might be new to wet-shaving, IMHO, there is absolutely no need to caution them against trying out a slant razor or a Gillette slide motion. Worst case scenario, they'll end with a nick... and so what? Haven't we all? It's part of the journey. Just my $0.02.

P.s.: your English is better than many of the native speakers' 😊

And if you try and try and nothing seems to help....then go get a Norelco OneBlade razor and try that.....you can use that for the troublesome areas and then your DE razor for the rest...... that way you get a good shave but no or less ingrowns...

Welcome to the board. Don’t be scared and don’t overthink it. The best advice i can give is to apply minimal pressure and let the writ of the razor do the work. If you used a cartridge or disposable, then you may have pressed it against your face. That is the most important habit you will need to break. The rest you will just learn as you go. You will cut yourself sooner or later, but you will learn from it and get a better shaving experience in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom