What's new

New to B&B.

Hello All.
I just started shaving with a DE razor and I have learned so much from digging around the forums.
Have a question though.
I have a Hensen AL13 mild and use Astra Platium blades in it.
The first couple of shaves on the blade are great, but I also shave my head. Once I shave my head, the next face shave is terrible.
Just the other day, I put in a new blade, shaved face, and head with no problems. Shave my face a day later and had a massive razor burn.
Has anybody else experienced this?
I plan to try other blades but started with the Astra since that is what Hensen recommends.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Hello All.
I just started shaving with a DE razor and I have learned so much from digging around the forums.
Have a question though.
The first couple of shaves on the blade are great, but I also shave my head. Once I shave my head, the next face shave is terrible.
Just the other day, I put in a new blade, shaved face, and head with no problems. Shave my face a day later and had a massive razor burn.
I plan to try other blades but started with the Astra since that is what Hensen recommends.
Welcome to B&B, there is a lot more area to cover when head shaving. I do not head shave but 1 head shave is like shaving 3 face shaves IMO.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I’m not a head shaver but I’m headed that way no pun intended. The Astra’s are really good blades so that was a good pick. But try some other blades. There are so many out there on the market. I prefer the persona med preps. They’re made an America and very sharp.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, razor burn can have different causes. The most common is too much pressure while shaving. Try using the weight of the razor only and do WTG and XTG passes only.

My warmest welcome to Badger & Blade, the #1 community on the web. For any further help or hint just ask, we are here for you. :001_smile

Hello All.
Have a question though.
I'm a head shaver and, depending on the kind of hair and amount you have on your dome, it can really put some mileage on your blades. Good thing the blades are so cheap. For me, I'm naturally bald on top with just a few Homer Simpson strands if I let them grow, with very wiry hair on the sides. I get a max of 4 shaves from a blade usually (I have a goatee, so I only shave neck, cheeks and head). Good luck with your shaves. I have a Henson as well and found it's the best razor to my neck I've ever used.

Reactions: Anu
Welcome to B&B.

I find that for me Astras don't last that long. However, as others have mentioned shaving your head takes a toll on blades.

Your razor burn could be from too much pressure. I also suggest trading out the blade as soon as it starts to tug & drag. But first & foremost, welcome to B & B!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to B&B as many others have said your mileage may vary from blade to blade. The combination of skin and hair differs greatly from person to person so, what I may find great for a face shave might not work for you. Also because head and face differ you may even need a different blade or set up for your head.
Enjoy the journey of learning what works for you.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome to B and B, friend @GWood !

Thanks for introducing yourself to us. Since I do not yet shave my head, I can only direct you on the face.

I like Astra SP, but I LOVE Astra SS. What seems like something little can sometimes make a big difference.

Welcome to B&B. This community is a great resource and should be able to provide quite a few options.
You’ve got a very nice razor.
I wish you the best of luck and enjoy your shaves.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum from Australia and thanks for checking in with us and sharing your experience.

Welcome! I had a similar experience years ago where the blade I was using wasn't particularly good. This time I ordered a sample pack of fifteen different types, two of each type so thirty total. I think it was less than $10 and worth every penny. I found several blades that all work well. Best of luck whatever you decide. Happy shaves!

Welcome aboard! Astras are generally well regarded blades, however blades are very personal. I suggest a sampler pack to try a range and see what you like.

Top Bottom