What's new

New to B&B - Razor bumps and irritation suggestions

Hey y'all,

I'm new to the site. Have always had pretty significant irritation and sometimes razor bumps (not uncommon in black man). I have been using cartridge razors, or just growing out my beard, for as long as I've been shaving.

I was recently introduced to DE shaving by a friend, and he let me borrow his razor for a shave. Not sure what the razor was, but the blades were Feather. It was a lot less painful than I had previously had with any cartridge razor. So now I am looking to get my own razor and learn a little more about shaving with a safety razor.

Any suggestions on the right equipment/techniques for dealing with razor bumps or just general irritation? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to B&B. This link may help.

Welcome! I started with a Murket 34c and a bunch of different blades to see what worked best for me. Maggard has sets you can order to try different blades. Find a good soap or cream and a badger brush then your set.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks Ackvil--looks like a lot of good info on that post!

Welcome to B&B.
The Merkur 34C would be my reccomedation too. Work on technique and don't try for BBS or against the grain till the bumps condition is sorted out.

+1! Great suggestions in this thread!

And WELCOME ABOARD!! :clap:

Welcome and good luck on your shave journey. The members here are very helpful. Don't hesitate to ask a question if you have one.

Welcome to the group. A few suggestions based on my experience & research:
  • For razor bumps I suggest products that have salicylic acid. It can be an aftershave, or a specific product like the photo below that I use, applied directly to the bumps 2 or 3 times a day.
  • Map out your beard grain and shave with the grain
  • For skin prone to razor bumps, many dermatologists recommend as few passes as possible
  • Don't chase the BBS (Baby Butt Smooth) shave- it's an invitation for razor bumps to appear
  • Witch Hazel astringent (not alcohol-free toner, like Thayer's) helps to dry out razor bumps, just like salicylic acid. Apply directly to the bumps with a cotton ball. Any drug store brand will work, as long as it says astringent.
  • When I see bumps appear after a shave, sometimes I'll do the above treatments and maybe wait an extra day or so before my next shave, so the bumps clear up. My normal routine is generally every 2 or 3 days.
acne2.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your advice! I think I'll need to work on my technique based on some of your comments and have ordered the Merkur 34c razor to try out. Appreciate the advice and welcome!

I suggest Rockwell 6S (I know pricey for dipping a toe in), a sampler pack of different blades. Rockwell is really mild but effective if need be (in my experience).

For tehnique I can say nothing just

- go slow
- watch your angle
- mind the pressure (DON'T USE IT)
- map your beard (growth directions)
- 2 pass max, 1 WTG (with the grain) and 1 XTG (across the grain)
- don't go for ATG pass since you are prone to iritation
- don't use Feathers, sharp yes but not really gentle on skin

For soap don't go with anything too fancy. Start with something simple that has been around for some time and got good base of followers. Or go for samples if you have the chance. Do make a few lathers in your hand before even shaving just to get the feel of how soap performs and how to build lather. That way you can experiment with product/water ratio

Welcome to B&B.

As others have suggested you can try a combination of different blades and razors. As someone who just got back into shaving after quite a few years here are some things that could help.

Blades: Just trial here. This is the cheaper option to try with tryablade.com. Get 2-3 of different types and give it a whirl.

Razor: This could be a factor if it is a mid-aggressive to aggressive razor and your are honing your technique. A milder razor like the Merkur 34c could be a good starting point.

Pre-shave: Having your face hydrated helps. Most of the folks here will suggest to shave right after a warm shower OR use a warm towel on your face for a couple of minutes to get the face prepped for shaving.

Soaps/Creams: This was one of the easily forgotten parts for me when I got back into shaving. It is critical for you to have good lubrication/slickness for the razor to work well. It can be a difference between an 'ok' shave to a great shave.

Beard mapping: Figure out what direction your hair grows in. Once I did that, I managed to get decent to great shaves with pretty much any razor.

Technique: I shave by feel and what feels right for the razor I am using that day. But having a general idea on shallow vs steep angle could be a good starting point while you make adjustments. Also, little to no pressure. Some razors may require more pressure but with the issues you are having, it is better to err on the side of caution and keep the pressure at a minimum while you figure things out.

Good luck!

Top Bottom