What's new

New to B&B and wet shaving...

Hello everyone,

I've already checked in on the Hall of Fame thread, but thought I'd also introduce myself here. I'm new to traditional wet shaving (about a month now), but old enough to remember my father using a safety razor. He was part of the WWII generation, and I wish he had kept, and I had inherited, his travel shaving kit from his GI gear. That would have been a fond remembrance of him. I also remember the old "Wilkinson Sword" commercials on TV and how fascinated I was by the idea of swords as sharp as a razor blade.

I have been using an electric razor most of my life to try to avoid razor burn. I seem to have sensitive skin, especially around my neck, and also have fine hair and beard - for what little beard I have! In college, my roommates and I agreed to try growing a mustache over the Christmas holiday, and I kept letting it grow through the rest of the semester. When I kissed my girlfriend goodbye in April, she leaned back and asked "Are you trying to grow a mustache?" It hasn't gotten much better since then.

So, I'm using a mild razor (an ATT Kronos M1), and have been trying out different blades to see what works best for me. The only conclusion I have reached is that I think the Feather blade so many like is too harsh for me. It's the only one that has given me any weeping or cuts. Of course, that could be simply that I don't have the right technique down yet, so I will probably try it again in a few months.

My youngest daughter told me once that she thinks the world can be divided into collectors and people who don't understand the compulsion under which collectors operate. She and I are definitely collectors (of all sorts of things), and I think I've been bitten by that bug in shaving as well. I'm already looking for a vintage Gillette Aristocrat from the late 1940s. I found myself looking up all the local antique stores in my travels. At least it gets me out of the hotel room!

Aside from all that, I have five children and seven grandchildren, scattered all over the country. My wife and I like to camp and hike. I rode a motorcycle for decades, but gave it up a few years ago after a close call. I shoot and hunt as well, but not nearly as much as in the past...not enough time for everything I enjoy. I'm enjoy a wide variety of books, from fiction, to history and biography, to more professional books on leadership, communication, and conflict resolution. I'm on the faculty of the business school at my University, where I have conducted research and taught for nearly three decades, and currently serve as the academic director of our leadership program.

So, that's a little about me. I'm looking forward to this community and learning a lot more about it.

Greg

source.gif

You have a lot of the same interests as I do, we are glad to have you! That antiquing bug is a bad one..... :-D
Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum!

The ATT is a lovely razor - I have the M2. I like Personna Platinum or Derby Premium (not the Extras) in mine. I am a Feather fan but have never got on with them in ATT razors, so I understand where you are coming from.

Welcome Doc Papi.

I'm retired, but have a wee bit of experience in academe. Do not miss meetings, nor the great sighs of the provost. (I think it was Drucker who said you can work, or attend meetings. Loved his Adventures of a Bystander!)

Traditional shaving is a great hobby. And unlike fishing, hunting, and such, one can do it every day!

Glad you have joined us. Enjoy your shaves!

Mac

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the welcome wishes. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as time goes on, and hopefully will be able to contribute in other ways from time to time.

Greg

Hello everyone,

I've already checked in on the Hall of Fame thread, but thought I'd also introduce myself here. I'm new to traditional wet shaving (about a month now), but old enough to remember my father using a safety razor. He was part of the WWII generation, and I wish he had kept, and I had inherited, his travel shaving kit from his GI gear. That would have been a fond remembrance of him. I also remember the old "Wilkinson Sword" commercials on TV and how fascinated I was by the idea of swords as sharp as a razor blade.

I have been using an electric razor most of my life to try to avoid razor burn. I seem to have sensitive skin, especially around my neck, and also have fine hair and beard - for what little beard I have! In college, my roommates and I agreed to try growing a mustache over the Christmas holiday, and I kept letting it grow through the rest of the semester. When I kissed my girlfriend goodbye in April, she leaned back and asked "Are you trying to grow a mustache?" It hasn't gotten much better since then.

So, I'm using a mild razor (an ATT Kronos M1), and have been trying out different blades to see what works best for me. The only conclusion I have reached is that I think the Feather blade so many like is too harsh for me. It's the only one that has given me any weeping or cuts. Of course, that could be simply that I don't have the right technique down yet, so I will probably try it again in a few months.

My youngest daughter told me once that she thinks the world can be divided into collectors and people who don't understand the compulsion under which collectors operate. She and I are definitely collectors (of all sorts of things), and I think I've been bitten by that bug in shaving as well. I'm already looking for a vintage Gillette Aristocrat from the late 1940s. I found myself looking up all the local antique stores in my travels. At least it gets me out of the hotel room!

Aside from all that, I have five children and seven grandchildren, scattered all over the country. My wife and I like to camp and hike. I rode a motorcycle for decades, but gave it up a few years ago after a close call. I shoot and hunt as well, but not nearly as much as in the past...not enough time for everything I enjoy. I'm enjoy a wide variety of books, from fiction, to history and biography, to more professional books on leadership, communication, and conflict resolution. I'm on the faculty of the business school at my University, where I have conducted research and taught for nearly three decades, and currently serve as the academic director of our leadership program.

So, that's a little about me. I'm looking forward to this community and learning a lot more about it.

Greg
Welcome aboard Greg. Great to have you with us sir. Enjoy your shaves :)

Welcome to B&B. I am not familiar with the ATT but I think you are right and it does depend on technique. The Astra SP is a popular blade so worth a try. Do have a look at the Shave Wiki on technique and especially blade angle (Blade Angle) but apply the blade lightly as they are very sharp.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Welcome aboard, Doc.

My youngest daughter told me once that she thinks the world can be divided into collectors and people who don't understand the compulsion under which collectors operate.

I'd agree with that. I tend to be more in the "does not compute" crowd, but there's a diverse crowd here, all with our own preferences and priorities, and we're largely accommodating of each others little foibles, even if we do have a little banter occasionally :D

I'm sure you'll settle in her just fine.

Top Bottom