What's new

New to B&B and the transition is easy!

Thanks to the entire B&B community! The wealth of information is incredible! I've found answers to all kinds of questions about technique and am flat out impressed with the massive participation.

My wife and I are having our first kid in December and I thought I'd enjoy wet shaving as a gentlemanly right of passage. A way to mark the transition to daddy-hood, maybe.

I'm just over a month in to the DE experience. I've been wearing a stubble beard for about 5 years, just trimming my neck and top cheek area with a cartridge razor. The mini-beard suited my software design profession and was a pretty good look for me overall (although reasonable people may disagree there). But now, I really enjoy showing of the clean face.

There was a deal out there for $150 worth of shaving gear for $100 at groominglounge.com that kick-started my kit. I grabbed a gorgeous silver-rimmed shave bowl, Proraso creams, a best badger brush, and some face scrub for ingrown hair defense. Then I dusted off my old bottles of alcohol-free toner and aftershave from all corners of the bathroom. Repair is a big part of the game, as I'm learning.

I headed to eBay for a 1964 Gillette Slim Adjustable. We never really clicked. Maybe it was the Astra SP's. In any case, I've since gone to a Muhle R41 and I really enjoy that shave! My father gave me an Italian-made Koh-I-Noor brush that he picked up in Florence but hadn't ever used. It's a beautiful addition, too.

I'm keeping the RAD in check, but I've got a stack of Feather and Blue Personna blades on the way.

So give yourselves a round of applause!

-Marco

Last edited:
Welcome Marco, seems like you're off to a great start. The Muhle R41 is a very decent razor, glad its working for you! Check out the B/S/T forum if you're ever interested in trading out that Slim for something else.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement folks!

I've got to work up to B/S/T status, but I'll definitely take a look at that for B, S, and T action. I really like the security that the three-piece R41 gives me. It makes me curious to try older Gillette New open comb models as well. There's something seductive about those models.

Welcome to B&B, Marco! You already have a lot of great gear to work with. Congratulations on your upcoming family addition. Wishing you many great shaves to come.

Top Bottom