What's new

New to a French Press

The burr grinder does work better then the blade type.

I used to use a blade grinder. But the blade type has to run longer to get the beans all busted up so you have heat issues, plus inconsistent coffee bean grind sizes. However a quality burr grinder is way to expensive for my budget. I resolved this by having the coffee bean store where I buy my beans from grind the beans for a French Press. I then store the beans in an air tight Tupperware container place in the fridge. I only buy one week worth of beans at a time.

Not a perfect solution but to my taste buds it's better then busting up beans at home with a blade grinder.

As opposed as I am to pre-grinding coffee, if you must do it, the freezer is a better place for it than the refrigerator. Too much condensation risk in the fridge . . .

Woke up at 5:15, put the kettle on and ground my coffee. The blade grinder does OK...less fine powder & sludge than I expected. Poured that in, waited for the water to almost boil and poured it over the grounds in the press. The grounds gave a great bloom. Put the lid on for 4 minutes while I made my food.

Pressed the plunger slowly and poured my first cup. The remainder went into the thermal container...with room to spare.

The first cup was great. I've been using those beans for a long time (bulk buy) and, in the Mr. Coffee, the coffee had just tasted bland. This really perked it up. Same for the portion I enjoyed at school. I poured a travel mug full and enjoyed hot coffee. At 9:00, still hot. Tastes much better, too.

The first thing I did when I got home (after rinsing the press and mugs) was put away the Mr. Coffee. I will use it when we have company, or either buy a 12-cup press!

Question: This Bodum press can be washed with soap & water, but is that necessary after each brew? Today, I just disassembled the press and rinsed everything. My moka pot only requires rinses between brewing.

I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. I think this is a good common topic.

typically, I just rinse mine after use, wash it once a week; except those times, like yesterday, I ddn't have time to rinse right after brewing, so I washed it today

Well, to each his own, but in my view cleanliness is next to godliness in coffee or espresso brewing. Clean those oils out every time or the rancid buildup, even on glass, will affect future cups.

I generally use washing soda rather than soap with all coffeeware to avoid detergent off-flavours. It's exactly the same chemical as Brew-Rite and other coffee cleaners, but worlds cheaper from the laundry section of the grocery store.

Remember, that once you open a package of coffee beans, they will begin to go stale, so you should keep the bag as tightly sealed as you possibly can. Grind only as much as you need for the coffee you are making right now.

I store my beans in a Lock 'n' Lock container. IMO, it is perfect for this, as well as for food storage, containers for lunches taken to work, etc.

OT: I use three Lock 'n' Lock containers when I go camping:

• One round container for the beans
  • One small container for sugar
  • One large container to house the other two containers, plus my Brikka moka pot and hand grinder

The above kit is compact and portable, allowing me to make great espresso/moka while in the woods, at the lake shore, etc.

Top Bottom