What's new

New to a French Press

I second the Sweet Maria's article.

The number one misconception about the press pot is that you want a coarse (or at least coarser than drip) grind.

This is most emphatically not the case!

The finest even grind you can produce, brewed for a shorter period of time, produces much better coffee than a coarser grind, which necessitates a longer brewing time.

Repeat after me: "Press grind is finer than drip, not coarser."

Ask and ye shall recieve! I do appreciate the information and all for your time, input, and advice. It will be heeded. Thank you again.

Rick

I recently got into home roasting (of raw green coffee beans) and the difference between store-bought and home roasted as far as flavor and freshness goes is tremendous.

I. LOVE. Coffee.

Sweet Marias changed my life! It still blows my mind that most of the best coffees in the world will cost you 25 cents a cup and be as fresh as you want them to be when you buy em green.

love the french press; love it even more now that I:
- put only about 1/2 - 2/3 cup hot water on the (freshly ground) coffee at first, let it "bloom" as another member described
- got a good quality stanley thermos to keep it hot all day!

also, I'll add that I have now converted 2 folks over to French press, just today! one of them already has a coffee grinder that he hasn't used in years, and the other is considering one (though I will add mine is a cheap black and decker, does a fine enough job for me...I can't afford to get too deep into that hobby, as much as I'd like to)

I was just about to pull the trigger on a French Press because of their modest price but then did an internet search and found an article on coffeegeek, stating that the absolute most important variable was the grinder. Then I searched for French Press Grinders and saw they are mostly in the $600-900 range. I'm just not that curious to spend that much.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a French Press because of their modest price but then did an internet search and found an article on coffeegeek, stating that the absolute most important variable was the grinder. Then I searched for French Press Grinders and saw they are mostly in the $600-900 range. I'm just not that curious to spend that much.

You don't need to invest in a grinder like that unless you are making espresso. The consistent finer grinds are what call for a grinder of this magnitude. I have a Solis Maestro and it does just fine for Drip/French/Aeropress. If I am wrong, please someone correct me. This is my understanding.

The $600-$900 range grinders are overkill for a press. Those will be dedicated expresso grinders. You can even get good press coffee from a Cuisinart Supreme Grind, which can be had on eBay all day long as a refurb for $30.

I got a Hearthware Burr Grinder from Burman Coffee as part of my roaster combo...

I think it's about $30.

It's working fine for me... I mean, I am no expert, but it DOES grind, so essentially that's like, 99% of it's job.

I have a small press and have enjoyed using it off & on for a single cup of coffee. I'd like to use a big one for morning coffee, but I need a way of keeping it hot. Here's the routine:

5:30: coffee brewed (ground the night before & put in drip machine), breakfast, 1 mug of coffee; remainder on the warmer
6:30-ish: coffee poured in travel mug, I leave
7:15-7:45: enjoy the coffee in the travel mug...if I have morning duty, it's later and the coffee is sometimes too cool.

I'm a school counselor with a 30-minute drive to work.

Ideally, I could brew the coffee in the press, enjoy an immediate cup, then put the rest in a good thermos and enjoy the remainder at school.

What's a good thermos to use in this situation? I noticed a Stanley mentioned earlier. There's one at BBB that looks nice: link

Any burr grinder is very capable for french press brewing, in the $30-50 range as stated. If you step up to something like the Solis Maestro it really does have rugged burrs that produce an even grind and last for years and years. Anything past $150 is overkill for drip/french.

The guys on coffeegeek can be fanatics but look at this site. Guys here spend $50 on a tube of penhaligon's shaving cream or $800 on a Zowada straight razor!

proxy.php

this is what I've been using, works awesome! was around $20 at Wal-Mart and Target...
made my coffee in french press this morning around 6:30, just poured another cup of hot, wonderful coffee here at nearly 2:30 in the afternoon...nuff said, methinks
I have a small press and have enjoyed using it off & on for a single cup of coffee. I'd like to use a big one for morning coffee, but I need a way of keeping it hot. Here's the routine:

5:30: coffee brewed (ground the night before & put in drip machine), breakfast, 1 mug of coffee; remainder on the warmer
6:30-ish: coffee poured in travel mug, I leave
7:15-7:45: enjoy the coffee in the travel mug...if I have morning duty, it's later and the coffee is sometimes too cool.

I'm a school counselor with a 30-minute drive to work.

Ideally, I could brew the coffee in the press, enjoy an immediate cup, then put the rest in a good thermos and enjoy the remainder at school.

What's a good thermos to use in this situation? I noticed a Stanley mentioned earlier. There's one at BBB that looks nice: link

A good grinder will make a much better French Press, but you can get great results with just about anything. A consistent grind is the most important thing - any dust will overextract, as well as make some serious mud in the cup. If you aren't making espresso, a super high priced grinder isn't necessary (but will make a much better cup if you have one).

Here's what I wound up with (BB&B coupons today and I was already in the area, so I bought):

Press

Thermos

OXO makes good stuff and this press was the right size and price. And a good brand, methinks.

Thus begins the week of experimental coffee.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Here's what I wound up with (BB&B coupons today and I was already in the area, so I bought):

Press

Thermos

OXO makes good stuff and this press was the right size and price. And a good brand, methinks.

Thus begins the week of experimental coffee.

A French press is a very low tech item, so in theory a very cheap one should work as well as any, provided it has a decent screen and a tight fit. Having said that, you bought one of the best ones you can get.

I have a few presses, including a single cup version that I just can't seem to get hot enough.

I wrap a bar towel around my single-cup press, because, like you suggest, it loses a lot more heat per volume than larger presses. A finer grind could help you as well, since you don't have to steep it as long. The general rule is grind just coarser than your screen, which in most cases means a 4-minute brew for spoon-standing-up strong coffee (to the American palate, that is).

A French press is a very low tech item, so in theory a very cheap one should work as well as any, provided it has a decent screen and a tight fit. Having said that, you bought one of the best ones you can get.

That's very good to hear.

My only problem now is that my grinder is a Cuisinart blade. I need a burr grinder, or perhaps I can just crush the beans with a mallet...

I'll second Ouch's motion that you got yourself a very fine press

I've been using a plain 'ole black and decker coffee grinder (clearance $15) and it works just fine for me....YMMV and all

My only problem now is that my grinder is a Cuisinart blade. I need a burr grinder, or perhaps I can just crush the beans with a mallet...

Believe it or not, as bad as whirly-bird grinders are, they're actually better than mallets . . .

*grin*

Top Bottom