What's new

New Tilley for winter finally came.

1870179D-DB7F-4703-B41B-9E3CADB5C9F0.png
Now I just need it to get colder! First Tilley for me. It seems nice and comfortable.

If you don't have to protect your ears and your face doesn't hurt from the bitter wind wind, it can't be winter.
dave

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If you don't have to protect your ears and your face doesn't hurt from the bitter wind wind, it can't be winter.
dave

+1

"winter hat" = "shearling aviator"

proxy.php

(Mind you, a fall/spring hat could leave the ears exposed.)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
sometimes with toque under it or a hood over it!
dave

I have found ... at -35 degrees in the wind ... that a good shearling aviator with the flaps tied down needs no further insulation inside or outside. It gets the job done. YMMV, of course, and frostbite is nothing to play around with.

I had one of the earlier Tilley Winter Hat models (ca. 2002) and eventually it started shrinking, maybe 4 years ago. I knew I'd be able to get it replaced on warranty but I kept putting off the hassle of contacting them about a return.
Finally, I spotted a newer one in the Salvation Army Thrift Store for $8. Same Charcoal colour, mint condition, slightly wider brim, and it was a perfect fit! Cheaper than the postage to send my old hat back.

Features:
It stays on my head in a strong wind.
It's warm.
The brim keeps snow and rain off my glasses.
Concealed earflaps and forehead flap if needed.
It looks somewhat respectable and casual, at the same time.

re. extreme cold and wind
For seven years, SWMBO wore a pullover parka with a Sunburst hood like this:
proxy.php

The brown fur next to the face is wolverine, because it doesn't easily shed and you can pull frost off of it.
The outer fringe is a bit of engineering genius. It's pieces of fur taken from the spine of a wolf. Small square pieces of the skin are rotated and sewn onto a heavy multi-layer canvas backing so that the hairs radiate outwards instead of forming a spiral. The top parts are taken from near the front end where the guard hairs are longest, left and right sides come from the middle, and the bottom pieces are from the tail end. If you are facing away from the wind, you're sheltered by the hood fur in a conventional way. If you are facing the wind, such as when driving a snowmobile, the semi-rigid fringe acts like an air dam. In aeronautics design there's a thing called a "stagnation point", and it's right where your face is. You don't get any airflow across it unless you turn to one side.
The little girls looked adorable in them.
proxy.php

This type of hood is strictly for women these day, although I've seen photos from 100 years ago that show men wearing them too.

My own parkas just had a simple wolf fur fringe (about like the wolverine in the Sunburst above), and I usually wore it over a ball cap and a toque. The ball cap peak kept the fur out of my eyes and provided shade from the sun in the Spring.

Oops. Sorry for the hijack.

I had one of the earlier Tilley Winter Hat models (ca. 2002) and eventually it started shrinking, maybe 4 years ago. I knew I'd be able to get it replaced on warranty but I kept putting off the hassle of contacting them about a return.
Finally, I spotted a newer one in the Salvation Army Thrift Store for $8. Same Charcoal colour, mint condition, slightly wider brim, and it was a perfect fit! Cheaper than the postage to send my old hat back.

Features:
It stays on my head in a strong wind.
It's warm.
The brim keeps snow and rain off my glasses.
Concealed earflaps and forehead flap if needed.
It looks somewhat respectable and casual, at the same time.

re. extreme cold and wind
For seven years, SWMBO wore a pullover parka with a Sunburst hood like this:
proxy.php

The brown fur next to the face is wolverine, because it doesn't easily shed and you can pull frost off of it.
The outer fringe is a bit of engineering genius. It's pieces of fur taken from the spine of a wolf. Small square pieces of the skin are rotated and sewn onto a heavy multi-layer canvas backing so that the hairs radiate outwards instead of forming a spiral. The top parts are taken from near the front end where the guard hairs are longest, left and right sides come from the middle, and the bottom pieces are from the tail end. If you are facing away from the wind, you're sheltered by the hood fur in a conventional way. If you are facing the wind, such as when driving a snowmobile, the semi-rigid fringe acts like an air dam. In aeronautics design there's a thing called a "stagnation point", and it's right where your face is. You don't get any airflow across it unless you turn to one side.
The little girls looked adorable in them.
proxy.php

This type of hood is strictly for women these day, although I've seen photos from 100 years ago that show men wearing them too.

My own parkas just had a simple wolf fur fringe (about like the wolverine in the Sunburst above), and I usually wore it over a ball cap and a toque. The ball cap peak kept the fur out of my eyes and provided shade from the sun in the Spring.

Oops. Sorry for the hijack.
Amazing!

+1

"winter hat" = "shearling aviator"

proxy.php

(Mind you, a fall/spring hat could leave the ears exposed.)
Cool hat. I have had 2 of these made. We have a master furrier in the neighboring town. One with a beautiful coyote I trapped in the upper peninsula of Michigan and the other with muskrats from the lower. I gave the hats to my brother and Father as gifts though. They had fur on the outside as well as the inside of the pull down parts. It’s tough to find a day in Michigan cold enough to wear them though.....

Yes my wool hat was a 7 3/8 and fits perfectly.
Good to hear.
Do they still tell you to store the sales slip and warranty in an envelope in the left end of the bottom dresser drawer?
It's a good idea because I remember that mine is still there, and I have not touched it since day one. There are very few things I can remember like that.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh that's nice. I have a good wool, tweed newsy cap for winter...I like a good wool hat. After seeing that Tilley, I may be in the market for a new wool hat.

Top Bottom