What's new

New tax rate on shaving equipment & razors for India.

And I've been thinking that my country is corrupted.
Aren't their bank accounts checked by some kind of judicial bodies?.
We had terrible corruption, after 3rd form of authority- judiciary decided we need USKOK and tax police. Our former prime minister, his ministers and many others have trials or are in jail.
Situation is still bad but changing to better.
The Judiciary tried. They failed. Anonymous donations to political parties are LEGAL.
An earlier chief election commissioner (T. N . Seshan) also tried very hard. He managed some changes initially.
Then the govt. just bypassed him by claiming that the office of chief election commissioner does not have to be a single person, & making it a 3 person office, & put their own men in the other two seats. He was then voted down every time.
(Which is ridiculous. The chief election commissioner is one man. Not a group. By that logic, the post of president/prime minister can be 3 men too. Imagine a 3 person POTUS!)

Tax police exist. There is apparently no limit to their powers. They behave more like secret police.

Last edited:
The Judiciary tried. They failed. Anonymous donations to political parties are LEGAL.
An earlier chief election commissioner (T. N . Seshan) also tried very hard. He managed some changes initially.
Then the govt. just bypassed him by claiming that the office of chief election commissioner does not have to be a single person, & making it a 3 person office, & put their own men in the other two seats. He was then voted down every time.
(Which is ridiculous. The chief election commissioner is one man. Not a group. By that logic, the post of president/prime minister can be 3 men too. Imagine a 3 person POTUS!)

Tax police exist. There is apparently no limit to their powers. They behave more like secret police.

I see you're not familiar with Bosnia and Herzegovina, they have 3 presidents that form unique body. One is Croat, Serb and Bosniak.
Presidency of Bosnia and Herzegovina - Wikipedia

It used to be a percentage of the fair market rent (or expected rent) based on a list available with the tax authority/municipality. Since the rent rate claimed by them was usually higher than the real rate, most taxpayers were taxed higher than they should have been. This system is in the process of changing over to a system based on fair market value. Which is also higher.
I'm afraid I don't know the rates, as the tax is not paid directly by me - I pay the housing society, & they pay the tax.
But I'm pretty sure it's not as high as 1%. Were it to be, the govt would have to provide schooling, uninterrupted power, water, decent roads etc.
(btw - 95% of people do not pay any direct tax whatsoever)

indeed. result is high taxation on imports and deemed luxuries.

throwback to colonialism.

reminds me a bit of the notable Stamp Tax that was imposed on deeds and ultimately on every printed item by the Crown.

at least in your case, the taxes stay in the country...presumably!

proxy.php

indeed. result is high taxation on imports and deemed luxuries.

throwback to colonialism.

reminds me a bit of the notable Stamp Tax that was imposed on deeds and ultimately on every printed item by the Crown.

proxy.php
Stamp duty is very much there in India.
For sale of property its close to 12% or so.
(Lower for homes for the very poor)
Its applicable on deeds as well.
India was a colony, & these taxes remain.

Perhaps not.
There is a great deal of controversy about the Swiss bank accounts of politicians, parties, & the movers & shakers. Some businessmen too.
Unfortunately, the Swiss banking establishment is not cooperating with official & public inquiries about Indian nationals having illegal undeclared accounts.That's not surprising.
I believe a list of some kind of Swiss account holders was released, but it was error ridden. Many people who are not Indian nationals were also on the list, notably the Hindujas , who while of Indian origin, are Brits.
There is much speculation in the media as to how much public money has been siphoned off or diverted into these accounts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom