What's new

THEHTGAM/PPF/PH0ENIX/D0UGLAS/H0DGES/FRANCES Thread

I look for something that actually changes my skin for the better. None of the ones mentioned make the cut for me. I would recommend Maol Grooming or Tallow & Steel splashes. It's one of these two or I'm reaching for a balm.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I look for something that actually changes my skin for the better. None of the ones mentioned make the cut for me. I would recommend Maol Grooming or Tallow & Steel splashes. It's one of these two or I'm reaching for a balm.

Cremo + Bay Rum (favorites). 480:Small..JPG

I often put on a little splash. Then I put a little Cremo Moisturizer in my palm and add to that a little more splash; it makes a nice balm and smells just like my aftershave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I am a huge fan of PAA's CK-6 soaps. Slickness, protection and post-shave is all top tier in my book. Copalli, I have to say, smells like peanut butter to me. But I love Lather Blaster 3000, Dapper Doc and Atmotic, and have Son of Honeysuckle on the way. The post shave is wonderful - moisturizing and luxurious.

I love the CK-6 soap base. I find it to be slick and protective, and the post-shave is fantastic - moisturizing, luxurious, conditioning, etc. My skin feels great after shaving with CK-6. It is my favorite soap right now.

Hi,
i am trying to save myself from buying too many soaps.
2 years now i already have red,green,white proraso.Cella,Tabac.
My favorite is Tabac .The only one i dont use often is the white proraso.

Now i am looking at the PAA soaps and already in the website cart have $350 dollars worth of soaps and aftershave/cologne. Getting crazy so i took few days off and came back to see things more clear.I dont want to end up with 100 soaps and 30 razors in my cupboard so i removed everything from the cart and decide to purchase 1 or maximum 2 soaps.

What i was thinking to try, is the coconut bay(i love coconut), the sandalwood( i enjoy the red proraso too), the harvest moon(nice name) or the Doppelganger(i saw a recommendation on youtube).Also the pineapple and the....oops here we go again :euro:

I know many here have experience and tried many PAA soaps so i wanted to ask if you must choose only 1 or max 2 which one you would keep ?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I don't know this brand, but before I spend a lot of money, just get one and see how you like them. If you do, then you can order more. Nothing is more frustrating than having a lot of soap on hand you do not like.

The aftershaves are terrific from PAA.

A piece of advice that I learned the hard way...

Spread your dollars. As my SAD became pronounced in my first couple of years I was left with 50-60 soaps and many of them were from the same manufacturer, only in different scents. That left me with too many soaps yet a plethora of artisans out there that I never experienced.

If you spread your dollars, you can experience much more as you’ll learn scent is important, but the base of the soap is more so.

Perhaps simply order two, one in the CK6 base and another in the regular. Then you’ll have the bases covered. If it blows your socks off, you’ll know you can stick with the brand.

Better yet, buy a couple of samples for only a few bucks and save even more.

John

Hi,
i am trying to save myself from buying too many soaps.
2 years now i already have red,green,white proraso.Cella,Tabac.
My favorite is Tabac .The only one i dont use often is the white proraso.

Now i am looking at the PAA soaps and already in the website cart have $350 dollars worth of soaps and aftershave/cologne. Getting crazy so i took few days off and came back to see things more clear.I dont want to end up with 100 soaps and 30 razors in my cupboard so i removed everything from the cart and decide to purchase 1 or maximum 2 soaps. ....... QUOTE]

If you have the financial resources to afford it and the space to store it, there is nothing wrong with 100 soaps and 30 razors. If I include both soaps and creams and both straight razors and DE razors, I exceed those numbers.

I rarely purchase more than a couple of soaps or a single razor at a time. I did make an exception when I went to the Maggard Meet-up in June when I came away with about 10 new soaps from several artisans along with a new brush, a new razor handle, and some new DE blades. But that was a special occasion, unlikely to be repeated.

Another post indicated that finding the right soap formulations for your beard and skin is more important that finding a variety of scents you like from the same vendor. I agree wholeheartedly. Once you find a formulation that works well for you, obtain a few scents from that formulation. However, new artisans and new formulas from existing artisans seem to pop up each month. Then there are the older formulations that are also worthy of exploring. Thus, do not get carried away by purchasing a lot all at once. Do your research and choose carefully. If you do that, you won't make purchases that you later regret. Out of 130 soaps I have purchased, I only regret purchasing three of them. I gave one of them away, used one in the shower, and threw the other in the trash.

I don't know this brand, but before I spend a lot of money, just get one and see how you like them. If you do, then you can order more. Nothing is more frustrating than having a lot of soap on hand you do not like.

+1! Great advice! Even better if you can purchase some samples to try before you take the plunge.

Yes , that would be a better solution but with my luck they only have one,the cavendish as a sample.
Thank you all.I will order the CAD sample and the Doppelganger with the aftershave for now. No more than 50$

Ray , if you like to have lot of options then thats cool too.Myself i like to keep it simple and as minimal as i can.Can you give us your favorite 2 or 3 soaps from your experience with them ?

Harvest Moon is a fantastic scent. Soap quality & performance are great - once you find a few scents u like - you’ll b all set.

They do offer .99 aftershave samples to help u figure out what scents fit you best. Give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only own 2 of my soaps in multiple scents (because they were on sale), in general I don't worry much about the scent as that's coming from my aftershave. Having to have matching soap/aftershave in every scent is a marketing trick

By the way Doppleganger is an entire line with multiple scents based on popular colognes, look at the descriptions and label colors

Yes , that would be a better solution but with my luck they only have one,the cavendish as a sample.
Thank you all.I will order the CAD sample and the Doppelganger with the aftershave for now. No more than 50$

Ray , if you like to have lot of options then thats cool too.Myself i like to keep it simple and as minimal as i can.Can you give us your favorite 2 or 3 soaps from your experience with them ?

There are so many great soaps that narrowing it down to just two or three would be difficult. Here are the ones that I find that are easy to lather, have great slickness (both primary and residual), great cushion, and great post-shave moisturizing and conditioning. Unless you have oily skin and do not need or want the post-shave properties, it is hard to go wrong with any of these:
Ariana and Evans, especially their new formula with Yogurt
Barrister and Mann Excelsior formula
Catties Bubbles Luxury Cream formula
Cold River Soap Works Glide formula
Declaration Grooming Icarus
Grooming Department (various bases)
Murphy and McNeil
Noble Otter
Wholly Kaw, especially the Bufala Formula

I also have two new soaps on the way to my den that I have not tried before, but I have heard great things about both:
Gentlemen's Nod (a new artisan in the market with a fantastic ingredient list)
Australian Private Reserve new F2 formula

I have not yet tried PAA, but probably will try the new PK6 formula one day as it is reported to be quite good.

I have not tried Tallow and Steel. I understand the performance is quite good, but the scents tend to be polarizing. Some people love them; some hate them; I do not plan to risk it.

I've never had the chance to try the real SunUp, but I've been using PAA Sundown for a while now and I really enjoy it. I especially like it for a late morning weekend shave. To me it has a real vintage vibe and the touch of menthol is just right. Goes great with a cup of black coffee and a little 1960's schmaltz on the stereo :001_smile. I love the smell, but as with all PAA after shaves, it is a little on the strong side. I apply carefully, but I'm always tempted to use more because the skin feel is so nice. I'm VERY curious about the B&M Reserve Classic and considering giving it a try. Would love to hear some opinions from anyone whose tried it and compared to PAA.

I have all three. The b&m is closer to the original than the paa.

That said, the original is a tad more powdery and sweet than the b&m.

Reserve classic is one of my favorite scents from barrister and Mann.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
PAA does a nice job with retros. Love my Atomic Rocket. A real go-to brush.

The Green Ray and the Star Craft are next on my list. At $15 each, why not?

I was totally out of the loop. Used paa club guy without any prejudice.

Scent - fantastic

Lather - great. On par with anything

Performance- pretty bad. Really had to back off with the razor and accept a sub par shave. It scores points for not burning me though.

Post shave - left me dry like some soaps from the old days. Meh. Not good.

I kind of feel bamboozled now that I know the backstory.

I don't see a reason to buy these products, with the classic formula the protection of the skin is very bad, and also the post shave , the problem is very evident with aggressive razors like IKON B1 SLANT.

Formula CK-6 is better? But the price is high, with less than 25 USD you can buy excellent soaps.

I enjoyed the CaD PAA, without prejudice, and thought great value for money soap.. just need to get the water ratio right.. i still shave with it on occasion and that is with an R41 with no issues. But have to agree the high price of the new CK6 formula prices me out, there are other fantastic artisan soaps to be bought for less

an update to my previous post above.. since that post i have tried Squadron Soaps - The Warden which would have to be hands down the BEST barbershop scent i have ever smelt.. totally brings me back to the day, will always have one in the den

Top Bottom