What's new

New Suit Advice

Hi all! :smile:

So, I'm wearing a suit every day now, and my choice of two suits seems to be growing old and I need some advice about a new suit. Right now I've got two suits (well, two that fit... two others that are tad small... darn sitting on my butt all day) from Jos. A. Banks, one navy and the other a grey (not dark, but not light either). The navy one is pure wool, and the grey one is their "stay cool" material, not bad actually. I was a bit cautious about it, but an entire suit for $100 won me over.

Anyways, I think I need a new suit, maybe a dark grey with a very slight pattern in it (or another if anyone else thinks otherwise), and I was wondering where I should go. Macy's is close and sometimes can find a good deal there, but I have had bad experiences with the sales reps there being too snobby and looking down their noses at me. "Oh dear, you're 23 and buying suits, what are you doing...." etc.

Has anyone had any experience with the custom suits from overseas (~$200). Anyone have any other ideas?

My budget is rather small.. I would like it to be under $250 if possible, and a lightweight wool (I'm very warm blooded, I keep my office at 68 or 67 and am still warm most of the time). I live in San Francisco if anyone has any reccomendations for a local B&M store.

Oh, and conservative is in around where I work (government, US Attorney's office), so flashy suits get made fun of. :lol:

One last thing, should I look for a two vent coat? Both of my suits right now are center vent and the two vent suits seem a little more modern and wouldn't display the butt so much...:tongue: :lol:

Alright, back to work, thanks guys!!!

Darn it all, I can't change the title to read "New Suit Advice"... can a Mod help me out please? :smile: :biggrin:

edit: Thanks to whoever helped me out on the Thread Title!!

If you have a Brooks Brothers outlet nearby you may want to check them out. They are currently having a 50% off sale on their internet store.

Having been someone who at 23 had to buy suits for everyday wear in a very conservative environment, I can offer some advice:

1. Have a Navy, Grey, and Black suit. These are either plain or VERY light patterned suits. These should also be the best you can afford.

2. Once you have these three suits, then you can go a little more contemporary with your suit purchases. These can be slightly lesser quality suits, which is advisable since they will likely become out of fashion at some point.

3. If you get a pinstripe suit, make sure it is a very light pinstripe

4. Never get a double breasted suit - they never look good on someone younger.

5. Have at least two ties and shirts for every suite, and it is typically more stylish to match the tie to the suit not the shirt.

6. Have your suits re-taylored every few years - your body changes and parts of your suit will start to show wear. A good taylor can correct some of these issues.

7. Don't be bothered by "snooty" sales people. It is not odd for someone of your age to be purchasing a suit. Also, cash is cash and if a person chooses to not earn a commission - then move on to the next salesperson.

8. Good suits can be purchased at any major department store, but you should have at least one very good suit (Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, etc.).

9. Opt to not use the department store taylor - I have never had any luck with them. Find a taylor with a very good reputation....if he/she is good they will more than earn the extra cost.

Stu,

What size are you?

Last time I was measured I was a 44R. Why?

BTW, I my current job does not require me to wear a suit and as such I haven't purchased one in about two years and haven't worn one in almost a year.

This is not so much a recommendation, but rather what I do.

I shop resale/consignment. I'm a good off-the-peg fit. My most common issue is having the jacket's waist taken in, which means nearly everything in the general size range fits me - somewhat.

I choose the shops in the best parts of town. Not that I live on the wrong side of the tracks, but I do not live in River Oaks where they wear an expensive suit a dozen times and then out-grow it. Those are the suits I look for, and have been lucky to find often enough for my needs. When I was in acquisition mode, I went nearly every week, since stocks rotate quickly. I scored my favorite (and best) suit there, and took it to a good tailor.

Of course, YMMV. If you're pressed for time, I wouldn't go this route. However, if you have the time you can score some deals.

A couple of things: to be very frank, $250 will not get you a good suit, but it might get you a decent one. I think Jos. A. Bank is a good choice, given that they constantly have huge "sales", and their quality is not that bad. Also, check if your agency has an account with them, in which case you may get additional discounts.

I wholeheartedly second the previous advice to get the best suit you can afford. If you can spend some more money right now, you will more than make up for it in the long run (this applies to shoes as well).

Also, chances are that you need to have alterations made to your new suit, right off the bat. Rather than trying to get away without such alterations, particularly against the advice of experienced sales people, I would recommend to factor that into the costs.

Best - MM

Yeah, I've had all my current suits tailored to some extent.

While I would like to actually spend the money on a good suit, I'm flat broke and living off my student loans, lol.

Also, my clerkship right now is, unfortunately, unpaid :frown:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Okay, here's my take, gleaning what details I can and filling in details.

You're a young chap in training in an intellectual profession (legal?) with little or no disposable income. You work among professionals who make comfortable incomes, who dress professionally and expensively. You have a job/position/title that would make it obvious to all around you (if your youth itself did not) that you are, unlike them, in very modest financial circumstances. They were there once too, long ago. Most will not have forgotten this ... and the KD they ate off a hotplate month after month.

So, they will not expect the same expensive dressing from you that they indulge in. They won't even expect you to have a whole bunch of different suits and ties and shirts and all that. What they will expect, though, is some indication from you that you 'get it' when it comes to how to dress. As long as you have a couple of well-tailored conservative suits with shirts and ties to match, (and shoes, belt, &c.) you are doing just fine.

Make sure that your suits are well-tailored and fit you properly. Heck, see if a good tailor can rescue your old, tight suits.

After that, don't go suit-mad ... get two good pairs of dress shoes (never wear the same leather shoes two days in a row ... bad for them.) Make sure your socks are dress socks, and not coloured casual socks. Polish your shoes more often than you think they need it. Make sure your shirts have properly-sized collars and correct-length sleeves ... get them altered if need be!! Make sure you can tie a tie properly, so it stays put all day (Full Windsor, anyone?) Make sure you have a decent briefcase and raincoat ...

And THEN you can start thinking about another suit. Look the part all-round within your budget before you get into Suit AD.

(And once you DO go to buy a new suit ... get the best you can afford. You will need it for years to come ... and having a few good suits is better than a whole lot of mediocre ones. )

Hey Buddy,

I'm 24...here's a couple recommendations to save money but not look like it:

Quality=Quality but spend it wisely

suit, shirts, shoes is where you spend your cash

ties, belts you can go cheaper

If you can get to a Brooks Brothers outlet I highly suggest it...it is quality and they stand behind their name and if a button snaps or a seam rips bring it back

Brooks brothers wrinkle free shirts are awesome right out of the dryer they look pressed

Shoes take care of them...wax them and buff every week...you can't close deals in dirty heals

Thanks for all the advice everyone!!

I think I'm going to hold off on the new suit for a while. I just moved into a new apartment and had to get a new sofa, so my funds are quite low at the moment.

As for shirts and the like, my favorite right now are my Land's End dress shirts that I got on a sale. I get my ties at Ross (hehe, its nice getting $30-$60 ties for $12 and under), as well as belts. As for shoes, I've got two pairs of nice shoes. One pair of old Echo's and one pair of Kenneth Coles that I got at Macy's about a month ago. I just got one kind of casual pair of Rockport slip ons from Ross as well.

So, going to stick with my suits for now, will start bargain hunting for next summer now though =) Hehehe. If i'm not looking at ebay for razors, its time to look for suits!!!

Thanks for all the great advice! =)

Top Bottom