What's new

New student in the DE classroom

Hello to all the users of B&B! This is my first thread here in the forum. Just want to say how glad I am that there is a little chunk of cyberspace devoted to all the shavegeeks out there. I , myself, am freshly initiated into the world of wet shaving.

Several weeks ago, I was tinkering around on the Internet and decided to google "shave." Ever since I started shaving (which has been about 10 years) I dreaded the chore of it. Started with a Remington two foil, moved to a Mach 3, then was lured into a mind-numbing trance by the M3 Power, and finally baited and bit on a Panasonic linear. Still hated shaving. Mildly sensitive skin. Acne breakouts every now and then. A beard that grows in like Joe Dirt's (have to see the movie!). Those factors combined made me revile the morning shave.

Google is up. Hmmm...MSNBC. Corey Greenberg. How to Get the Perfect Shave. Well, since everyone knows everything on the Internet is true :wink:
I decided to follow the rabbit. Needless to say, this little write-up sparked my curiosity (along with nearly all the newbies to wetshaving, from what I've read). In the three weeks following, every spare moment was spent researching the art of wet shaving. If this thing, this "lost art of man," really did make shaving a :huh: "pleasure," I would be all over it.

Twenty-fourth birthday came. Hint-Hint. Money for a razor set. "A laser set?" my mom asks. Enough said. Everyone thought I was a total weirdo for wanting this stuff for my birthday, but they humored me. Score.

1. Merkur Futur. check
2. Vulfix #2235. check
3. TH Ultimate Comfort. check
4. Merkur blades. check
and...a Moss Scuttle that I'm still waiting on.

First shave was this morning. Of course, Sunday you have to look presentable for church. Well, actually I put it off all weekend because once I saw how crazy sharp those Merkur's were, my knees started knockin'. "What! No moisture strip! No microfins! No face-numbing, vibrating, AAA-powered, razor burning, sports car cartridge!" I started to rethink the whole idea. Then the logical side of my brain called me back. "Remember the research. The testimonials. The reviews. The facts. The promises." And after all, I WAS NOT going to let all that stuff just sit pretty on my counter.

I have discovered that shaving is to be cherished by the man. A rite of passage passed from father to son, and in my case, son to father. A luxury hidden among the ads, hype, and blade count of today's male world. Thank-you to all the DE users, cutthroat experts, and wetshavers who impart their knowledge freely, giving guys like me a chance to walk away from their shave...happy.:thumbup1:

Welcome to The B&B SS what shall we call you? (name)
Sounds like you are doing Ok.Post up any questions and keep at it!:biggrin:

Welcome to B&B. I started out with a Merkur Futur just like you,if you want to get the best out of it invest in some Derby Extra or Feather blades.

Name is Kyle.

First shave went fairly well. Two little nicks on my neck, but they're in the place where the whiskers grow in all funky directions. :confused: I listened to all the advice from the seasoned pros. Taut skin. NO pressure. Follow the grain of the beard. Prep. Prep. Prep.

Plus the Futur was on the lowest setting. So not as close as I would like, but I'm not in pain (or a tourniquet) either.

ScaredSafety said:
Name is Kyle.

First shave went fairly well. Two little nicks on my neck, but they're in the place where the whiskers grow in all funky directions. :confused: I listened to all the advice from the seasoned pros. Taut skin. NO pressure. Follow the grain of the beard. Prep. Prep. Prep.

Plus the Futur was on the lowest setting. So not as close as I would like, but I'm not in pain (or a tourniquet) either.

Closeness will come with better technique. Just follow what you are doing right now till you get used to the rig. After a couple weeks of use with the same rig you will get some better shaves and worse shaves. Keep at it and you will eliminate some of the bad habits you may not even know you had. Pressure was my bad habit. I was pressing with the DE too much. Not enought to slice myself but enough that I was pushing the skin out of the angle it should have been. I also didn't have the best razor angle.

Glad your shave went well. Keep at it!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Been trying to spread the word to my little brother and his buddy about how much better their shave could be. But I guess with only peach fuzz, you don't need a man's razor.:smile:

Welcome fellow Okie!! A new member for the COWSBC (Central Oklahoma Wet Shaving & Breakfast Club)! The meca of wetshaving.

Welcome Kyle,

Keep it up! In no time, you'll see how blissful this can be :smile:

and you'll also see the other phenomena of how your wallet tends to lose money for no expected reason while browsing wetshaving forums and online retailers. :001_rolle

Top Bottom