What's new

New strop or not

Ok so I started several months ago with a Illinois 127. I did nick it a couple times at the start. Sanded out the nicks oiled and have been using it. Seems to work well, leather nice and soft. My question is, is it worth it to purchase a better quality strop? Will it make a difference?

That’s personal. I like 3” strops, because the action is easier and smoother to me. The Illinois that I have does not have the draw that my Straight Razor Designs English Bridle has. I like a little drag and think that works the edge better, and it doesn’t require as much pressure, or at least in my mind it doesn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once thought 3" strops to be perfect and laughed at considering a narrower one. Over time I found the old dogs who favored 2-1/2" wide strops were not just blowing hot air. Much easier to manage x-strokes on a narrower strop so I no longer needed to use windshield wiper or race-track oval patterns.

Unless you experience operational issues leaving you with some level of dissatisfaction, I'd surmise you likely don't need a new strop and just feel a twinge of acquisition disorder* possibly coming on.

*Wear one of those silly, ineffective contagion face masks for protection as the placebo effect is quite strong :)

If it’s not broken don't fix it. Your strop is soft and supple giving results you know and like. If your are not into collecting/restoring strops I would not bother.

Rather buy another razor(s) instead!

My suggestion is not to go down that hole. At one time I had 13 strops. I've given some away to people who could not afford one. I've sold a couple. And I'm looking at vintage strops on eBay going I want that one I want that one.

But if you want a new one there are a few on eBay in good shape for really good price right now.

If it’s not broken. don't fix it. Your strop is soft and supple giving results you know and like. If your are not into collecting/restoring strops I would not bother.

Rather buy another razor(s) instead!
I agree with ajduplessis. After a while strops just seem to accumulate. I've never bought one and now I have enough that I often give them away.

My Tony Miller red imp 700c and kanayama all feel different but performance on the edge of the razor I do not feel any difference. Just the leather feels different. Each has a different amount of draw. I will say if you want to try something new there is a NOS strip on eBay right for for like 8 bucks. There are a few really nice looking strops for cheap right now on eBay. There is also a 700c up right now. The red imp strip is a great strop. I had one that I made a trade with after I got one that is in almost NOS.

To the people with multiple strops, do you find much difference in strop performance? Jody - strop poor...
In strop draw/feeling there's a difference. In effectiveness there isn't. I've got several top of the line strops but I only use one these days² and that's because I've got used to the feel of it and see no reason to change.

I have a variety of strops: latigo, fast bridle, Russett horsehide, Novatan horsehide, and shell cordovan. They vary in their draw from slow to very fast. I enjoy using all of them. I often use all five of them in sequence starting with the latigo and finishing on of my fastest strops, either the fast bridle or Novatan horsehide. I will do about 20 laps on cotton and 20 laps on linen and then 20 laps each on the leather for a total of 140 laps. However, I could probably use a single strop and accomplish similar results, but I enjoy using multiple strops with variations in draw. It is a matter of preference rather than necessity.

Most of my strops are 3" wide. I do have a one of Tony Miller's 2 1/2" "fuzzy linen" strops. I have no issue using a 2 1/2" strop on standard 2 3/4" length blades. However, I have a couple of 3" long blades that are harder to strop on the 2 1/2" strop, so I avoid using that strop when stropping the 3" blades. If you blades are standard length or shorter, either 2 1/2" or 3" strops will work just fine. Again, it is a matter of personal preference.

I need one strop; I own five. All are 3”.
Each has a significantly different feel.
Four strops are Tony Millers. One is a Herold Russian Oil Tanned.
My favorite is the TM “Roughout”. It has a lot of draw and just feels “right“.
The Miller Notovan has got to be the slickest piece of work I have ever handled. It it also the easiest to mess up with. I suggest building a lot of experience before using a strop this slippery.

I have 6 strops I only use 3 of them really. I need to get in the habit of using all of them. I have a C-MON that is almost in NOS condition I don't really use it because of that. The koken and the scotch Lassie I just don't really use because of the tm the 700c and kanayama. Strops are another hole to get lost in.

Hmm now this is a good one I have a Tony Miller and a westholme, both are fantastic but I made one that I use the most they all are 3" wide.

The reason I made my own was to see if I could as been said its another rabbit hole to fall into :pipe:

Top Bottom